Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I'm not Catholic......do you people know Christians aren't ALL Catholic?

Every group has some shame....glad to see you walk on water!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Western governments and societies have only recently (in the totality of history) moved past barbaric practices, such as beheadings and burnings and Iron Maidens and beds of nails, etc. Ever been to one of the many Torture Museums in Europe?

Anyway - thankfully, for the most part, we HAVE moved past those times. That's why brutality such as religious persecution, stonings, beheadings, etc shock us. Let's just remember - our ancestors were guilty of the same actions, regardless of their religious views. Such actions were sanctioned by "civilized" governments.

And the recent history of the 20th century should show very clearly that we Westerners are not above a bit of brutality ourselves.

Perspective, folks. Historical perspective.

That doesn't make any of it right, however.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Looks to me they are not practicing what Jesus said.....thou shall not kill, these people can't even read so who exactly over their is telling them lies. Isn't there more voodoo going on with Christianity added in?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Is Obama forcing someone, who is Christian, to use birth control? Or was the Christians imposing their ideologies and denying birth control benefits to those who need it?
Ever hear of Rite-Aid or Walgreen......they sell birth control there also. The church is not peoples BC provider.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM

461 posts, read 556,106 times
Quote:
Stuff like what? Someone posting an untrue rumor about them on internet forums?
My point was, if this were true, why doesn't the US use its influence to get its ally to comply with human rights? Since the US cares so much about human rights, you know.

Saudi Arabia's awful human rights record shouldn't be viewed as a representation of Islam. People should blast and criticize Saudi Arabia all they want without feeling like Islamaphobes. Like I said before, most Muslims can't seem to stomach Saudi Arabia either, and if it weren't for staunch US backing, maybe the people of Saudi Arabia would have rose up a long time ago.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Western governments and societies have only recently (in the totality of history) moved past barbaric practices, such as beheadings and burnings and Iron Maidens and beds of nails, etc. Ever been to one of the many Torture Museums in Europe?

Anyway - thankfully, for the most part, we HAVE moved past those times. That's why brutality such as religious persecution, stonings, beheadings, etc shock us. Let's just remember - our ancestors were guilty of the same actions, regardless of their religious views. Such actions were sanctioned by "civilized" governments.

And the recent history of the 20th century should show very clearly that we Westerners are not above a bit of brutality ourselves.

Perspective, folks. Historical perspective.

That doesn't make any of it right, however.
Looks like some are wanting to bring this back and use them on Christians.....guess non-believers may be more dangerous than Christians think. Hopefully, this is not the normal non-believer.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Looks like some are wanting to bring this back and use them on Christians.....guess non-believers may be more dangerous than Christians think. Hopefully, this is not the normal non-believer.

What saudi Arabia? Looks like the punishment for conversion from Islam to Christianity is death. Yes - they persecute Christians (and have done so for some time). They don't like any religion but the state one.

They don't shred hands though (per this post. . .which was a 2010 paper shredder accident and probably a hoax then as well).

yet Saudi Arabia isn't really nice to Islamic people either. . .so I don't really think this is some gang-up on Christians. They persecute a lot more women then Christians.

As far as I can tell Christians are not a target in Saudi Arabia, they crack down on all non-Islamic religions. Its not good. . but not the Christian sob-story this post has you believe. Just a crappy govt. doing crappy things.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
What saudi Arabia? Looks like the punishment for conversion from Islam to Christianity is death. Yes - they persecute Christians (and have done so for some time). They don't like any religion but the state one.

They don't shred hands though (per this post. . .which was a 2010 paper shredder accident and probably a hoax then as well).

yet Saudi Arabia isn't really nice to Islamic people either. . .so I don't really think this is some gang-up on Christians. They persecute a lot more women then Christians.

As far as I can tell Christians are not a target in Saudi Arabia, they crack down on all non-Islamic religions. Its not good. . but not the Christian sob-story this post has you believe. Just a crappy govt. doing crappy things.
I was referring to post #92 and I was referring to progressive liberals in America. Which came from a response from a Taliban like C-D poster........see post #50.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Can you show us where that is happening today? Why don't we just deal with what is going on now and not go back into ancient history to justify what is happening to people now. How does that help?
What an interesting argument.

I'll have to remember this the next time someone trots out those Leviticus passages.

Anyway, I call BS OP.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
No I do not need to read any Jewish scriptures. Christians follow New Testament, not anything written in the Torah.
Did you remove the Old Testament from your Bible?

Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies