Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's only the fringe protesters that certain posters are highlighting. Its the same with any large group, your gonna find extremes. Not saying the analogy is extreme, simply the way in which the message was presented.

The media was extremely effective at swaying public perception of the Movement after the camps were ordered to be torn down. ALL of the negatives of Occupy were highlighted while none of the negatives from the police and politicians were highlighted.

That's why I take issue with these type of threads. Did you notice that yet again, its not the issues being highlighted but a few protesters?

As if THOSE individuals represent the Mainstream sector of the movement.
I completely agree with you. However, when you have a supposedly leaderless movement you end up with the fringe defining both your message and image. It's hard to keep a communicable message out there when there is no supportive organization. Thus, misunderstood and flaky performance pieces by under-employed arts majors in Portland becomes your image despite the underlying message being valid and worthy of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I completely agree with you. However, when you have a supposedly leaderless movement you end up with the fringe defining your message and you image. It's hard to keep a communicable message out there when there is no supportive organization. Thus, misunderstood and flaky performance pieces by under-employed arts majors in Portland becomes your image despite the underlying meaning being valid.
It's a very young movement. If they keep getting their message out there, no matter how crazy you think they are, they'll either move the establishment to make reasonable changes in a more moderate position, OR (more likely) a more moderate group translating the issues of the Occupy movement into policy will arise to fight the establishment politically to make those changes. They're already responsible for a commonly used description of extreme wealth in this country--the "1%." From a marketing and political standpoint, that's already a major success.

Every movement starts out this way--Rosa Parks refusing to sit at the back of the bus (highly controversial at that time), gay people fighting back at Stonewall and the gay pride parades, or Tea Party rallies where people dressed like colonial patriots and carried signs. It's all the same process.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They're making fun of how some people seem to worship the stock market using both a biblical reference and the famous bronze bull market statue. That you were unable to figure this out on your own with just a few seconds of thought speaks volumes about your limited abilities.
What those people don't know is not all Christians worship the bull.......there foolishness is showing!

Why don't those people march against Bill Gates and Warren Buffet?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
^^ The Movement is definitely growing. I've said before I knew of other Movements gaining steam before I ever heard about Occupy. I feel like Occupy has been the "tool" that a lot of these other movements have needed. It's also given young people a cause worth joining together for.

I also think the Movement will manifest in business as well. I do believe there will start to be new competitors for some of these major corporations who think they are above all (customer, law, taxes).

Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Is it obvious to any one else that there are some who will do anything to discredit Occupy? ... Other than actually debate any of the actual issues they brought to the fore front.

when the occupy people stopped bathing and started pooping on police cars, they discredited themselves.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What those people don't know is not all Christians worship the bull.......there foolishness is showing!

Maybe because they support them

Howard Buffett, Warren Buffett's Son, On Occupy Wall St.: 'We Saw Large Corporations Really Screw People'

Howard Buffett, son of Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, told Bloomberg on Thursday that he understands the frustration that many middle-class Americans currently feel. He, for one, places blame on both corporate abuse and the growing wealth gap.

"I think it takes that to make things happen sometimes," Buffett, himself a farmer and philanthropist, said. "We saw large corporations really screw people."

Anger toward Americans remains especially pointed toward the financial sector. Indeed, confidence in the U.S. banking system has dropped to a new low, according to a recent Rasmussen poll, at a time when major banks face allegations of widespread mortgage abuse while continuing to impose new fees on customers.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Well...that wasn't the point. First--no Christians (or Jews) are supposed to literally worship "the bull." That's idolatry. Second, they weren't trying to make a statement about Christians. They were making a statement about Wall Street and money being a "false God" that many worship. It was meant as an anology--a comparison--and wasn't meant to be taken literally.

I'm not a part of Occupy Wall Street, but I don't think their message is that all rich people are evil. Gates and Buffet are examples of people who've received a great deal from this country and have given back just as much--the old system of noblesse oblige or "to whom much is given, much is expected." They've personally expressed over and over that they think our current policies are unfair to most people. I think what Occupy Wall Street is pointing out is that attitude of "I'm going to get mine even if I have to walk over the bodies of everyone else to get there" mentality. Americans like fairness, and when the people at the very top financially and politically can control the policy agenda to benefit them to the detriment of everyone else in the country, then it becomes a problem and an issue.

Last edited by mb1547; 05-07-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
^^ The Movement is definitely growing. I've said before I knew of other Movements gaining steam before I ever heard about Occupy. I feel like Occupy has been the "tool" that a lot of these other movements have needed. It's also given young people a cause worth joining together for.

I also think the Movement will manifest in business as well. I do believe there will start to be new competitors for some of these major corporations who think they are above all (customer, law, taxes).
I think a lot of small business owners in this country are starting to get pretty ticked off that no one is speaking out to represent us--the people who actually create jobs and pay taxes--vs. the companies that pay nothing, use our infrastructure, get pork on top of it and then hire off shore.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
when the occupy people stopped bathing and started pooping on police cars, they discredited themselves.
The literal "Occupy Wall" street movement isn't going to be the group that changes policy--their job is to make a huge stink and keep the issue in the press. A more moderate group, or existing more moderate groups, will arise and embrace the same issues, but do it in a more professional way, at the point where we start to see real policy changes proposed in this country. That will come with time. In the meantime, even if you think the protesters are disgusting, you're still talking about them. That's their goal. We're talking about the issues.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Well...that wasn't the point. First--no Christians (or Jews) are supposed to literally worship "the bull." That's idolatry. Second, I don't think they were trying to make a statement about Christians. They were making a statement about Wall Street and money being a "false God" that many worship. It was meant as an anology--a comparison--and wasn't meant to be taken literally.

I'm not a part of Occupy Wall Street, but I don't think their message is that all rich people are evil. Gates and Buffet are examples of people who've received a great deal from this country and have given back just as much--the old system of noblesse oblige or "to whom much is given, much is expected." They've personally expressed over and over that they think our current policies are unfair to most people. I think what Occupy Wall Street is pointing out is that attitude of "I'm going to get mine even if I have to walk over the bodies of everyone else to get there" mentality. Americans like fairness, and when the people at the very top financially and politically can control the policy agenda to benefit them to the detriment of everyone else in the country, then it becomes a problem and an issue.
I wanted to rep you numerous times in this thread, but you know the drill. Even if you are not a member of OWS, you are definitely an asset to them. Keep talking--you're doing good work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies