Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a trend lately among the news media. They seem to be totally into Atlanta Georgia. Just yesterday I watched some news. On CNN there was the Mayor of Atlanta, a younger looking black man, who was talking about transportation issues. I really do not know why the Mayor of Atlanta is an "expert" on the subject of transportation but there he was.
Then, later, on the NBC nightly news, there was a long story about the city trying to get 2 historical churches to move so they can build a new football stadium next to the old football stadium that is only 20 years old (I guess they got lots of money down there). Is that something the rest of the country really cares about?
Then, this morning, I turned on the Weather Channel and, as usual, they had to tell us what the weather was "outside here in Atlanta". Yes, I am aware they have nice winters down there but why do they think any of the other 300 million of us that don't live there care what the temperature is down there?
I fail to understand why Atlanta is always on the news everywhere but a much larger city like Chicago is never on the news unless it is about shootings or bad schools. You know we are 3 times as big as Atlanta and we have alot of good things going on here too. And we have 2 baseball teams, one of which says they might leave. Where is the news media??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times
The title of this thread really has me questioning everything I ever knew about geography.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
But Atlanta IS the center of the universe where they plug the enema in.

If the Weather channel is not blathering on about Atlanta it is chasing some tornado through Podunk Oklahoma.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
CNN is headquartered in Atlanta.

And Chicago is always in the news about Rahm ramming some crazy crap down the residents throat. Or some hoods gunning down babies or how bankrupt the city is because of liberal policies.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Atlanta is NOT the center of the universe!

I've been through the Atlanta airport. It's possible there's a black hole in the men's room.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Everyone should have realized long ago that it's Toronto that is the center of the universe!!! LOL

Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I have noticed a trend lately among the news media. They seem to be totally into Atlanta Georgia. Just yesterday I watched some news. On CNN there was the Mayor of Atlanta, a younger looking black man, who was talking about transportation issues. I really do not know why the Mayor of Atlanta is an "expert" on the subject of transportation but there he was.
Then, later, on the NBC nightly news, there was a long story about the city trying to get 2 historical churches to move so they can build a new football stadium next to the old football stadium that is only 20 years old (I guess they got lots of money down there). Is that something the rest of the country really cares about?
Then, this morning, I turned on the Weather Channel and, as usual, they had to tell us what the weather was "outside here in Atlanta". Yes, I am aware they have nice winters down there but why do they think any of the other 300 million of us that don't live there care what the temperature is down there?
I fail to understand why Atlanta is always on the news everywhere but a much larger city like Chicago is never on the news unless it is about shootings or bad schools. You know we are 3 times as big as Atlanta and we have alot of good things going on here too. And we have 2 baseball teams, one of which says they might leave. Where is the news media??

We can thank Ted Turner (aka The Mouth of the South) who realized that Cable Tv needed content to fill up hundreds of channels 24 hours a day. he bought a an obscure UHF station in Atlanta and redesignated it as WTNT the first Superstation put it on Cable from coast to coast and created Turner Netwoork Television. He bought the Atlanta Braves and with a stroke of the wand they became America's Team. He bought up the film achieve of MGM and created the Turner Classic Movie Channel.
Next he realized that you could have a bunch of mediocre talking heads bloviating and news anchors blathering to fill up an hour or two and then broadcast it over and over again to fill up the hours. Pure genious that Ted who called his new venture CNN.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Atlanta? No, Wallace, Idaho is. Everyone knows that.

The Center of the Universe is in Historic Wallace Idaho

Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
shows on HGTV seem to always be in Atlanta.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
The center of the universe is where I am currently sitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies