Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,109,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think it is absurd to ask the taxpayers to pay for the politicians campaigns. Absurd. Like we don't already have enough nonsense to pay for.
The other alternative is to set campaign spending limits. As long as there is unlimited finanancing of elections, what chance does a third party candidate have of even running and how does any elected candidate come out of an election clean an not beholden to special interests. The system we have in place is a joke and "Citizens United" was the final nail in the coffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,364,138 times
Im a 2%er.
Im busting my a$$ to be a 1%er.

Im looking forward to being a recipient of the hate caused by the class envy and jealousy of the 98%.
bring it on poor people, while you're rolling in your hate, Im at work increasing my worth.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,419,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep, I believe the phrase was that we cannot prosecute banksters for fear of "collateral damage in the economy", like we have already conceded defeat to the banks in a war most never knew existed.

So you believe in collateral damage for the banks but not in collateral damage in making the people pay for their bail out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
A lot of truth there. My doctor really isn't wealthy. He may be rich, but not wealthy. The Corporate Oligarchy are almost invisable because of the lives they live, and it sure as hell isn't amongst us.
Just think, the middle class can go to school to be a doctor but now under the Obama administration it will be harder for the middle class to become wealthy.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Big government equals big cronyism. The best way to get rid of all the politicians is to reduce the job description to nearly nothing. Military defense, some infrastructure, and a good Court system. Everything else goes to the people to take care of for themselves.
It will never happen. Even the people are bought off. Welfare is just another form of cronyism.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I would recommend reading anything by Chris Hedges. I just finished Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt. To quote:

will kill the ecosystem, dooming your children and your children's children. They are too stupid and too blind to see that they will perish with the rest of us. So you either rise up and supplant them, either you dismantle the corporate state for a world of sanity, a world where we no longer kneel before the absurd idea that the demands of the financial markets should govern human behavior, or we are frog-marched toward self-annihilation. " ---
Government knows to make sure to let the people keep enough so they don't rise against them. Then again, is that why they wanted gun control?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Im a 2%er.
Im busting my a$$ to be a 1%er.

Im looking forward to being a recipient of the hate caused by the class envy and jealousy of the 98%.
bring it on poor people, while you're rolling in your hate, Im at work increasing my worth.
Bily, With this attitude I'll bet you will make it too! Just a warning, as your income goes up be sure not to go crazy spending. Your tax bill will feel like a major kick in the stomach, make sure you put alot of money aside to pay taxes or you will find yourself in big financial trouble.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,117,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Most family fortunes are lost within the next generation. Muffy and Buffy don't have the same work ethic as Dad who spent a lifetime building the business. They take the cash and blow it all.
Which is the exact problem with this country. The best and most talented not being promoted, just the ones who are family or know the right people.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,955,488 times
Quote:
Big government equals big cronyism. The best way to get rid of all the politicians is to reduce the job description to nearly nothing. Military defense, some infrastructure, and a good Court system. Everything else goes to the people to take care of for themselves.
I agree with a defensive military as well, solely for protecting our borders.

What are military is used for now, is regulating the world markets for Big Business and Banking and needs to stop. As you said, regulations for Big Business and Banking does not work.

Sort of like the War on Terrorism, which is a never ending war and a drain on the tax payers.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,642,937 times
Quote:
There is no wealth inequality in America.

I don't care if 90% of the wealth is controlled by 10% of the population.

There are elite human beings. Be thankful and bow down.
You must be kidding.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,642,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I agree with a defensive military as well, solely for protecting our borders.

What are military is used for now, is regulating the world markets for Big Business and Banking and needs to stop. As you said, regulations for Big Business and Banking does not work.

Sort of like the War on Terrorism, which is a never ending war and a drain on the tax payers.

The bubbles and market crises started with deregulation of the financial system in the 1980s. The financial industry is too de-regulated, and this deregulation has been a disaster for the American people, enabling white collar criminals like those at Goldman Sachs to make their millions while sucking America dry. The financial crisis and the great recession are directly attributable to the lack of regulation of the banks and financial industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies