Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That sums up your attitude of what thousands of Americans died for so you can be here.

Its obviously not symbolic of America to you nor political representation of the country you live in.

Its really a disgraceful attitude toward your country.
Oh for ford's sake.
Who died for me?
Who attacked the US and asked that "thousands of" military die for it?
They die for corporate interests.
Don't go on about the protecting our rights garbage, because that's never been why we went/go to war.
What rights has the military ever protected?
Riddle me that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That sums up your attitude of what thousands of Americans died for so you can be here.

Its obviously not symbolic of America to you nor political representation of the country you live in.

Its really a disgraceful attitude toward your country.
I think that it would be more accurate to say that thousands of Americans have died to protect the Constitutional rights guaranteed to Americans, which includes the right to stomp on the flag as an exercise of free speech.

You and the other flag fetishists don't seem to have a clue what the flag you claim to love so much actually symbolizes. Is the US flag really supposed to serve as the symbol of a government and country so oppressive that you can be punished merely for stepping on a piece of fabric? Is that your idea of freedom and liberty?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think that it would be more accurate to say that thousands of Americans have died to protect the Constitutional rights guaranteed to Americans, which includes the right to stomp on the flag as an exercise of free speech.

You and the other flag fetishists don't seem to have a clue what the flag you claim to love so much actually symbolizes. Is the US flag really supposed to serve as the symbol of a government and country so oppressive that you can be punished merely for stepping on a piece of fabric? Is that your idea of freedom and liberty?
Great post. This sums it all up.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why should I expect a reaction?
I suppose I should be offended with flags on clothing and underwear, etc. by your definition.
It's not a big deal.
Why make it one?

You shouldn't expect a negative reaction if, say, you walk around with a swastika in a synagogue?

What about burning a flag at a VFW Hall?

Re: Wearing a flag. Some people ARE offended by that, or find it disrespectful. And look, I fully agree that some people will find reasons to be offended by any and everything. I think that's why intent behind what you're doing with the symbol is also important. Draw swastika as part of history presentation = ok, probably nobody will take issue. Draw swastika to intimidate Jews = reaction.

Then again, it's wishful thinking to expect people to get the nuance of "intent...."

Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh for ford's sake.
Who died for me?
Who attacked the US and asked that "thousands of" military die for it?
They die for corporate interests.
Don't go on about the protecting our rights garbage, because that's never been why we went/go to war.
What rights has the military ever protected?
Riddle me that.
Still mad about getting kicked out, I see.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,394 times
The local gooberment didn't give the 85k away, the taxpayers did. Why can't you folks see the light.

I have two nice scars from my youth that allow me to express myself on such matters if I choose. I'll just say that I don't own a flag, no longer respect what it represents. Give me the republic back and I just might change my mind.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I believe the teacher was actually trying to make a point about the potency of symbols, but also that the medium representing symbols (in this case the cloth that made up the flag) has no inherent value. Symbols are a form of communication (being a form of communication makes them a worthwhile topic for an honors English class), but the value is in the message, not the medium. So when the teacher stomped on the flag, his intention was to stomp on a piece of cloth, not to desecrate the symbol, but to make clear to the class the distinction between message and medium.

That said, the power in desecrating a flag, or burning a Bible or a Koran, lies in the potency of the symbolism. It is a message, too. So even though the teacher wasn't trying to convey disrespect, he failed to consider his audience and how his audience would receive his message. In that sense, he failed as a teacher.

But the school system failed when they disciplined this teacher, because they mixed up the message and the medium as well, and unless their school policies explicitly forbid teachers from stomping on or desecrating the American flag, they didn't have the right to suspend him or terminate him for doing so. Moreover, as their purpose is education, and the teacher's lesson plan was valid, the school's actions were political rather than educational.

I think the compromise between the two is reasonable. The teacher will have to seek out new employment, and the school board's actions have given the teacher a certain amount of notoriety that will make that more difficult. At the same time, neither the teacher nor the school board have to accept any legal responsibility for wrong-doing.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

This, exactly.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
This post, right here, is why Americans are looked down on and are treated stupidly.
This guy and others like him just can't figure it out.
Firstly, if u were here longer you would know that poster is female, no need to be rude and brutish.

Second, this is an "opinion " board, you don't get to dictate people's writing and thoughts.

Third, americans are "treated " stupidly" by the lamestream media in this country, which publishes stories like this 50 times a year when elections come up. Now, that is stupid.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
When there is more corruption than constitution, the flag needs to be taken down and quietly put away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies