U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM

21,724 posts, read 12,853,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I've meet some finance execs from Toronto once during the whole "Obamacare" debate. Long story short, they prefer the Canadian way heavily for a variety of reasons. The biggest issue they said was getting the process started as the first five years was tough, but after that, they'll take their system over ours any day of the week.
So those finance executives were all born at least 20 years prior to 1966 to have any meaningful memory of the first five years of our Universal Health care??? That would make them all around 67 years old ~ wait, that's my age and I don't even remember the "tough" first five years of Universal Healthcare.

Perchance, were these discussions taking place over Vodka Martini's with blue cheese stuffed olives?

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM

15,085 posts, read 13,239,069 times
Quote:
I'll trump your brother's experience in Canada with mine in Florida watching a friend die from a treatable cancer while duking it out with not just one, but two agencies bent on denying him care. To have to deal with that while watching your life ebb, isn't something I'll head for regardless of the stumbles in ANY Universal Health Care.

I worked in palliative care in the US. The stories were heartbreaking. Many of these people were dumped off their health insurance plans, even though they paid in for decades. They just got too expensive to treat. If the insurance companies dig deep enough, they'll find a reason to boot you off.
No thanks.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM

41,521 posts, read 21,142,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Course there are wait times here, but not dangerously unhealthy wait times.
The US has incidents of insurance companies rescinding coverage of a double mastectomy in a breast cancer patient due to undisclosed visits to a dermatologist - for acne. I'll take the wait times.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,013,164 times
Why hasn't it occured to the O.P. that the financially well off have ALWAYS been able to buy any health care that they deem sufficiently valuable? It is healthcare for the poor and middle class that has been problematic, and a "single payer" system is the only way to fix that. . . .even if it doesn't provide heart transplants for 80 year olds!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM

21,724 posts, read 12,853,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
lolllolol.

You Canadians with your inferiority complex always give me a chuckle. Outside of the weather, it's probably not a coincidence that 90 percent of the Canadian population lives within 200 miles of the American border.

It's true. Most Americans here in their liberal dogma will never admit it, and most have never had any experience with the Canadian system, but it is NOT superior to the American system, nor is it, a country 10 percent the size of America, the system for our country.

BruSan, what experience do you have with the Canadian system of health coverage? You seem to be one of those super arrogant, condescending know-it-all liberals. But then again, your kind almost all are.

So, what experience do you have with the Canadian system?
Govie; You and Roadking are the perfect example of what you accuse me of being with your infantile comments regarding Canada and all things Canadian.

What's the arrogant bullcrap title of this thread again?

I'm a Canadian who winters in Florida so have ample opportunity to talk to folks not stuck in your Liberal vs. conservative merry-go-round (yes there are some) who will readily admit to all of the failings and also who readily admit to wanting our system or one like it.

You ignored my links didn't you?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

46,038 posts, read 32,597,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Probably one of the most idiotic things I've read here to date. Sure...over 400 years ago, our founders built our settlements close to the American border in case we'd need access to your healthcare down the road.
Or Canada could of built their cities along waterways for trade routes....I swear, some people on this site are complete idiots. Also, thanks for giving a real perspective on healthcare between the two countries.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
it probably would help the discussion, if you use non-partisan websites instead of a libertarian website like reason.com
What are these non-partisan websites? I'm asking sincerely because the only sites I can ever seem to find are either Right, Left, or libertarian. I'd love to read some non-partisan articles.

Also, I'd like to add to the discussion that I used to work in collections (so you can all just hate my stinking filthy guts if you'd like, I won't blame you.) and while I did not have any problem collecting from people who had written NSF checks, or owed on court DUI tickets, or things like that, I also had to do medical collections. That ate me up inside and really made me physically ill. Having to contact people who owed tens of thousands of dollars that they did not have simply because they wanted to receive medical attention for a heart attack, or some other emergency or illness. I spoke with a woman once who was being collected on for a ride in the ambulance that her husband died in.

I'll say this over and over again, the US has always had this egotistical belief that "We are #1" but the fact is that for the richest, most powerful country in the world (which we were at one time) to have so many citizens who would either die because they couldn't afford treatment or be sent to collections because they owed so much in medical bills, is a damned shame.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM

9,700 posts, read 4,533,875 times
So to sum it up:

Waiting time in Canada to receive a pacemaker? Weeks

Waiting in America to receive a pacemaker if you can't afford insurance? Infinite.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM

6,970 posts, read 7,679,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I worked in palliative care in the US. The stories were heartbreaking. Many of these people were dumped off their health insurance plans, even though they paid in for decades. They just got too expensive to treat. If the insurance companies dig deep enough, they'll find a reason to boot you off.
No thanks.
One way they can do this is through your employer, especially if it's a huge employer with a law staff in place and full time insurance reps who work on site such as XXXXXXXX XXXXXX's corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Md. They've got dumping ill employees down to a science. Fire the employee and poof goes the insurance coverage.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
What are these non-partisan websites? I'm asking sincerely because the only sites I can ever seem to find are either Right, Left, or libertarian. I'd love to read some non-partisan articles.

Also, I'd like to add to the discussion that I used to work in collections (so you can all just hate my stinking filthy guts if you'd like, I won't blame you.) and while I did not have any problem collecting from people who had written NSF checks, or owed on court DUI tickets, or things like that, I also had to do medical collections. That ate me up inside and really made me physically ill. Having to contact people who owed tens of thousands of dollars that they did not have simply because they wanted to receive medical attention for a heart attack, or some other emergency or illness. I spoke with a woman once who was being collected on for a ride in the ambulance that her husband died in.

I'll say this over and over again, the US has always had this egotistical belief that "We are #1" but the fact is that for the richest, most powerful country in the world (which we were at one time) to have so many citizens who would either die because they couldn't afford treatment or be sent to collections because they owed so much in medical bills, is a damned shame.
Good post! Only in America does this happen to decent hard working folks. When I tell people that here in Australia, they are shocked. But most of them have heard the horror stories already anyway. I know it's "patriotic" to always say America is #1, but honestly, after living in Oz, America has become a bunch of #2!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies