U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,234,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I know it's "patriotic" to always say America is #1, but honestly, after living in Oz, America has become a bunch of #2!!
Ah, I see what you did there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

15,085 posts, read 13,267,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The US has incidents of insurance companies rescinding coverage of a double mastectomy in a breast cancer patient due to undisclosed visits to a dermatologist - for acne. I'll take the wait times.
That's pretty much what happened to my mother-in-law. She was being treated for breast cancer when she got a letter saying her insurance would no longer cover her. Why? Evidently she failed to disclose her "depression" of 14 years ago. Of course she was depressed! Her husband just died.
Asinine system.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Or Canada could of built their cities along waterways for trade routes....I swear, some people on this site are complete idiots. Also, thanks for giving a real perspective on healthcare between the two countries.
You're most welcome. I have no dog in this fight, as I don't intend to move back to the US. I have no reasion to lie.
That being said, I take umbrage to folks slandering our system when they know nothing about it.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM

7,000 posts, read 7,704,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's pretty much what happened to my mother-in-law. She was being treated for breast cancer when she got a letter saying her insurance would no longer cover her. Why? Evidently she failed to disclose her "depression" of 14 years ago. Of course she was depressed! Her husband just died.
Asinine system.
From you perspective, yes its asinine. But from a profit generating enterprise which is its main function to provide profits to shareholders, denying is just doing business. Every denial is possible profit generated. If the patient is too sick to fight it, oh well, that makes it much easier to acquire profit. And what better opportunity is there to secure profit when the premium paying person is too ill to fight or an advocate to fight for them?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 PM

21,777 posts, read 12,921,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
What are these non-partisan websites? I'm asking sincerely because the only sites I can ever seem to find are either Right, Left, or libertarian. I'd love to read some non-partisan articles.

Also, I'd like to add to the discussion that I used to work in collections (so you can all just hate my stinking filthy guts if you'd like, I won't blame you.) and while I did not have any problem collecting from people who had written NSF checks, or owed on court DUI tickets, or things like that, I also had to do medical collections. That ate me up inside and really made me physically ill. Having to contact people who owed tens of thousands of dollars that they did not have simply because they wanted to receive medical attention for a heart attack, or some other emergency or illness. I spoke with a woman once who was being collected on for a ride in the ambulance that her husband died in.

I'll say this over and over again, the US has always had this egotistical belief that "We are #1" but the fact is that for the richest, most powerful country in the world (which we were at one time) to have so many citizens who would either die because they couldn't afford treatment or be sent to collections because they owed so much in medical bills, is a damned shame.
Now you see one of those posts, I know from past threads identical to this, are just waiting out there for the proper moment to step up and offer a more reasoned outlook.

This whole thread started with a poster who cherry picked ONE disenchanted Quebec doctor's opinion and used it to castigate a system he has nothing to do with and probably will never be faced with himself. Would it be possible do you think to find an American doctor less than enthusiastic about the U.S. system?

Why is that even necessary?

I then become the "super arrogant, know -it-all condescending Liberal" for posting a bunch of links in rebuttal to absolutely stupid stuff opined by people who have no first hand knowledge of our system at all but merely junk like "my brother's ex girl friends sister in law's vet once.....".

I have lived half of each and every year since 2001 in both countries and can tell you my Pension plan provided Private Top-up travel inclusive plan will saddle up a MediFlight to get my butt out of the U.S. because it's more economical than facing the exorbitant costs of even a relatively minor treatment with short hospital stay.

Listen up here; Canada's system is not flawless and owes it's lack of superlative funding to various Liberal AND conservative governments who tampered with, and continue to tamper with funding formulae in efforts to divert funds elsewhere ~ sound familiar?

Whatever system the U.S. chooses to go with, regardless of it's universality or lack thereof, there will be glitches. Vigilance is the key and it always will be. One must learn to perform their own due diligence regarding systems all over the planet WITHOUT letting this Liberal vs Conservative nonsense assume primary importance.

Allowing yourself to be swayed by that petty indoctrination by either party is doing yourself and future generations a great disservice.

Given your current system seems to be an abject failure in the eyes of the majority, (who do not post on C/D by the by) think of it this way; you can start fresh and pattern your system after the best parts of all of them, instead of settling for teeny tiny baby steps that serve only to add to frustration.

I'm a Canadian conservative, by the way, which I acknowledge would make me a centrist, at the very best, down there but if any Canadian Government, while I'm alive, makes a move to dismantle our Health Care system and go to a pay as you go or insurance model, I'm going to the gun locker in the basement and unlimber one of my long ones.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM

46,038 posts, read 32,668,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You're most welcome. I have no dog in this fight, as I don't intend to move back to the US. I have no reasion to lie.
That being said, I take umbrage to folks slandering our system when they know nothing about it.
I wish we would adopt the Canadian Healthcare System down here, it would be so much better for Americans.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,739,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Now you see one of those posts, I know from past threads identical to this, are just waiting out there for the proper moment to step up and offer a more reasoned outlook.

This whole thread started with a poster who cherry picked ONE disenchanted Quebec doctor's opinion and used it to castigate a system he has nothing to do with and probably will never be faced with himself. Would it be possible do you think to find an American doctor less than enthusiastic about the U.S. system?

Why is that even necessary?

I then become the "super arrogant, know -it-all condescending Liberal" for posting a bunch of links in rebuttal to absolutely stupid stuff opined by people who have no first hand knowledge of our system at all but merely junk like "my brother's ex girl friends sister in law's vet once.....".

I have lived half of each and every year since 2001 in both countries and can tell you my Pension plan provided Private Top-up travel inclusive plan will saddle up a MediFlight to get my butt out of the U.S. because it's more economical than facing the exorbitant costs of even a relatively minor treatment with short hospital stay.

Listen up here; Canada's system is not flawless and owes it's lack of superlative funding to various Liberal AND conservative governments who tampered with, and continue to tamper with funding formulae in efforts to divert funds elsewhere ~ sound familiar?

Whatever system the U.S. chooses to go with, regardless of it's universality or lack thereof, there will be glitches. Vigilance is the key and it always will be. One must learn to perform their own due diligence regarding systems all over the planet WITHOUT letting this Liberal vs Conservative nonsense assume primary importance.

Allowing yourself to be swayed by that petty indoctrination by either party is doing yourself and future generations a great disservice.

Given your current system seems to be an abject failure in the eyes of the majority, (who do not post on C/D by the by) think of it this way; you can start fresh and pattern your system after the best parts of all of them, instead of settling for teeny tiny baby steps that serve only to add to frustration.

I'm a Canadian conservative, by the way, which I acknowledge would make me a centrist, at the very best, down there but if any Canadian Government, while I'm alive, makes a move to dismantle our Health Care system and go to a pay as you go or insurance model, I'm going to the gun locker in the basement and unlimber one of my long ones.
Another good post!! I know the Aussie system isn't perfect either, I know that, but NO ONE there is clamoring for the U$ system. There is some talk of privatizing health care now-God I hope not. Why would Australia even WANT to be like America-that's what makes it such a great place to live-the fact that it isn't America. I hope the will of the people wins out here and the system stays as is

Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,066,379 times
Yeah Americans need to just keep defaulting on their medical bills.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
If there was any hint of dismantling our system, there would be riots that would make the storming of the Bastille look like a yoga class.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM

7,214 posts, read 8,754,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Yeah Americans need to just keep defaulting on their medical bills.
Then that's their own fault. Let them die in a gutter. That's the American way, at least according to many of our neo-con friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies