Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times

Advertisements

Teenage narcissism and sense of entitlement is found in new study - The Washington Post

“Compared to previous generations, recent high-school graduates are more likely to want lots of money and nice things but less likely to say they’re willing to work hard to earn them,” said study author Jean Twenge, a psychologist at San Diego State University, in a statement. “That type of ‘fantasy gap’ is consistent with other studies showing a generational increase in narcissism and entitlement.”

Oh say it isn't so? Kids today are hardworking and don't want ANYTHING given to them. They want to earn their way through life...And our liberal policies are working.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,788 times
What's this got to do with liberalism?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
Keep giving them participation trophies!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
OP walked 10 miles to school in 5 feet of snow...no doubt.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
OP walked 10 miles to school in 5 feet of snow...no doubt.
Nope. My elementary school was a block away from my house. However, the study shows the younger generation are basically worthless and lazy. They want healthcare, childcare, a job, and their retirement given to them, without working for it. You can spin it anyway you want and defend whatever you want. That is called being lazy and it is clearly spelled out in the article.

Of course, you can continue to attack me, or you can attack the points in the article. You can't, of course, because the facts are just that: the facts.

Liberal policies of working as little as possible, high tax rates, giving to people who don't need it, etc has raised this entitlement generation since the 60's. Give me, give me, give me. Its mine and I deserve it. This study is a partial outcome of those philosophies.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Believe me, the kids with the highest sense of entitlement are not from liberal families.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. My elementary school was a block away from my house. However, the study shows the younger generation are basically worthless and lazy. They want healthcare, childcare, a job, and their retirement given to them, without working for it. You can spin it anyway you want and defend whatever you want. That is called being lazy and it is clearly spelled out in the article.

Of course, you can continue to attack me, or you can attack the points in the article. You can't, of course, because the facts are just that: the facts.

Liberal policies of working as little as possible, high tax rates, giving to people who don't need it, etc has raised this entitlement generation since the 60's. Give me, give me, give me. Its mine and I deserve it. This study is a partial outcome of those philosophies.
That's what happens with an everyone is a winner and participation trophy/medal attitude. But, also part of the reason is that baby boomer parents, the middle class ones anyway, would give everything to their teenagers and tell them, no don't get a job. You don't want to be flipping burgers the rest of your life, do you? Because that's what will happen if you get a job at McD's! Go to college instead and worry about paying those student loans later. Lo and behold the results. Got a generation that thinks they are entitled to a job because of the degree they have. Doesn't work that way.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Every teenage generation thinks they have the world figured out and are gonna have everything they want. Ask anyone from previous generations that got their first credit cards out of high school on what happened to that whole wanting everything now.

This isn't a liberal thing, this is a being young thing.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Believe me, the kids with the highest sense of entitlement are not from liberal families.
In my experience, don't know the particular politics of people, but it's middle class whites and poor blacks that suffer from an extreme entitlement mentality.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
What's this got to do with liberalism?
Everything. It is called indoctrination, which begins in kindergarten. 27/7 kids are bombarded with liberalism, from the cartoons they watch to the food they eat, to the education they receive. Liberal freaks wanted a nanny State, well now they have one. This generation will not work, they will become liberal parasites sucking on the teat of the working taxpayer. This is precisely what liberals have striven for all these years: A completely compliant and utterly dependent population of slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies