Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Advertisements

Al La Carte, Al La Schmart, I'm guessing McCain didn't get any of the millions.

Lobbying Spending Database Cable & satellite TV production & distribution, 2010 | OpenSecrets

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/inc...d=c2200&type=n

Cable & Satellite TV Production & Distribution | OpenSecrets

One of the top recipients of contributions was none other than our President:
Cable & Satellite TV Production & Distribution: Top Recipients | OpenSecrets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm undecided. There will be several channels that will end up being very expensive(because fewer would watch them) and many that would simply not exist anymore. I image though that this would be benefit me.
I am, too. Seriously, I would dump ABC, NBC and CBS and I only watch Fox because of one show but FX on cable is my favorite channel. If that's bundled with Fox, I'd have to take both of them. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is an option to drop broadcast channels in the legislation or I'm sure it would have been mentioned.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am, too. Seriously, I would dump ABC, NBC and CBS and I only watch Fox because of one show but FX on cable is my favorite channel. If that's bundled with Fox, I'd have to take both of them. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is an option to drop broadcast channels in the legislation or I'm sure it would have been mentioned.
You get broadcast channels for free. The cable and satellite providers are mandated to carry them.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But we dont live in a Democracy, we live in a Representative Republic. You dont get to vote on what bills get passed.
they seldom even allow us to witness the deliberations of Congress, these fools in Congress are trying to side-step federalism. A step in the right direction would be to repeal the 17th amendment.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
A step in the right direction would be to repeal the 17th amendment.
That's a terrible idea. Why would anyone be in favor of this?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM

59,020 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I don't see why any channels would go out of business under your theory. They wouldn't currently be in business if nobody watched them. The same people watching them now would subscribe to them later, presumably.

Of course with less revenue from subscriber fees you could just kill the entire industry with a la carte. I could see every cable company fold without the extra fees they generate from the current system and we'd be back to where we were pre-1985.
"Of course with less revenue from subscriber fees you could just kill the entire industry with a la carte"

I disagree. If a channel had shows "worth" watching" people will pay for it. Free market should determine which channels make it and which channels don't.

This is how the network channels work. If a particular show doesn't get enough viewers the show is cancelled.

It is up to the channel to have shows that people actually watch.

I have been for a la cart ever since cable came to be. I think that is how it was sold originally. You pay for what you want. Just like 'premium" channels like HBO, etc.

They could offer bundles, 10, 15, 20 channels etc., with a minimum of channels, say 20 but, you pick the channels.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Does congress still pass legislation anymore?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
what we need for pubic school is " a la carte classes"
take history if you feel like knowing the past,
take art if you care about that.
take a second language if i really want to speak it.
take english if you feel like it, most kids these days just want to LOL, LMAO, ect.... everything anyway. As long as you make them take a facebook course, and get them in sports.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's a terrible idea. Why would anyone be in favor of this?
Because it stops the federal government from mandating the states pay for x, y, z, without funding them. When the Senate answers directly to the state, who has to come up with the money, then the people lose the ability to vote themself benefits that cant be paid for.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM

59,020 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yep, thats the argument against it.. It works for other channels as well, for example, would you order MTV, if you dont have teenagers, (or whatever their watching nowadays)? If the cost isnt spread out among a group, then offering it is is "expensive", and thus not affordable to produce.

I dont agree with the strategy, would love to pay for what I want, but from discussions when I was running for county commissioner a decade ago, that was the reason provided.

I dont have cable either, I dropped it when I couldnt justify the cost for the 2 channels we watch in this house, went with internet tv.
I would rather pay for a few qualityb channels the pay more for a bunch of garbage, my opinion, channels.

If they get enough viewers to make the channel profitable, they stay. If not, they are gone.

MTV is a perfect example. I have blocked it from my TV's for 20/25 years. I would never let my teenage kids watch it.

If enough parents want it, fine, let THEM pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies