Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I watch those and ME TV. See if you get ME TV over the air free. It has lots of good old shows like "Emergency" and "Adam 12"

I ditched cable, and was glad to see I could pick up ME over the air. I dont watch tv at all much but like older shows.

I ditched cable primarily due to cost. I thought about it and it was absolute idiotic to pay the price I did for watching a handful of channels.

Id support this measure however, something tells me the cable companies would still find a way to ********* over. However, they are already starting to feel it with things like Netflix and Hulu. So they have to make changes eventually.

And look, Im all for capitalism. But this isnt it. We dont get choice. I have one cable company to choose from where I live. They dont let them compete. Each cable company gets their own little sections where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I don't see why any channels would go out of business under your theory. They wouldn't currently be in business if nobody watched them. The same people watching them now would subscribe to them later, presumably.

Of course with less revenue from subscriber fees you could just kill the entire industry with a la carte. I could see every cable company fold without the extra fees they generate from the current system and we'd be back to where we were pre-1985.
They don't generate extra fees, they HAVE to bundle those channels because currently these channels don't have a per subscriber fee, they have a blanket charge, and the ONLY way to pay for it is to foist it on everyone.

Don't blame the cable companies, blame the stations.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

What about you?

I stopped watching TV 3 years ago.

[this is meaningless]

Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This.

I'd love to dump ESPN and lower my bill, but I don't have that option.

I want choices, and currently my choices are A.) have pay TV and bend over and pay for a bunch of fluff I never watch, or B.) try to pick up TV on an antenna.

Likewise why should people who never watch Discovery or TLC be forced to pay for them?
"currently my choices are A.) have pay TV and bend over and pay for a bunch of fluff I never watch,"

I don't believe that is true.

I believe all cable companies are required to offer a "basic" package. Some call it lifeline.

It includes your local channels and the public broadcasting channels and a few more. In my area it is $14.50 per month.

You won't see it advertised. You have to ask for it.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
I don't think they will be more expensive. If the less viewed channels are off the air MORE people will watch what is left. The more people watch it, the less it cold become. it will force better quality programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So what you're saying is that if we had just 2 channels, the programming quality would be just fantastic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats exactly what you said.
Really? In all your brilliant splendor show my quote that says only 2 channels will be left?

Like I said, over your head.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I would love this. Out of 200 channels there are maybe 20 that I regularly watch. There are a few I would like to watch, but have to jump up to the next package to get those 3 or 4 channels.

I never watch ANY of the 30 or so sports channels, HSN, church channels, etc.
Cable companies spend a lot of money figuring out what the most popular channels are then they make sure to put those in their premium package so that if you want to see them you have to pay extra to get them.

BTW people should do what I did and ditch cable TV and buy a Roku box.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ditto.
Competition should drive improvements,not wrong headed laws.
Cable is a government-approved monopoly.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
...If the less viewed channels are off the air MORE people will watch what is left. The more people watch it, the less it cold become. it will force better quality programming.
I remember the time when there were only 4 channels available. The programming wasn't that great. In fact I think some (by no means all) TV today is outstanding. Much better than it ever was with limited channels. It could be the result of wanting to attract viewers and cache in the industry.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Really? In all your brilliant splendor show my quote that says only 2 channels will be left?

Like I said, over your head.
Because if only those channels that people watch are funded, then we'll be down to pretty much Fox, MSNBC, maybe CNN, etc..

You end up with a handful of major stations when the other ones cant meet their budgets.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Cable companies spend a lot of money figuring out what the most popular channels are then they make sure to put those in their premium package so that if you want to see them you have to pay extra to get them.

BTW people should do what I did and ditch cable TV and buy a Roku box.
actually the cable companies dont have much of a choice. If a cable company wants to operate in an area, then governmental officials dictate what must be offered. The cable companies can then decide if they want to enter the market place or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies