Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Liberals sound like two year olds. At that age when they are caught doing something wrong they always try pointing to a sibling and saying "well he did it" and the typical response is "if he jumped off a bridge would you"

This is exactly how you liberals sound.... like 2 year olds.

Speaking of 2 yar olds, you might want to look in that mirror every now and then.

Seriously, dude? Are you going to deny the GOPs culpability in the recession? Two unfunded Wars, unfunded tax cuts, the housing bubble, TARP? The GOP had NOTHING to do with all of that? They were in charge from 2000 - 2007, and yet you and those of your ilk have the unmitigated gall to blame only the democrats for the financial disaster we're in.

The road to this disaster began with Gramm Leach Bliley, which deregulated banks to the pre depression era. Written by three members of the Grand Old Party and signed into law by Bubba, a democrat. Fast forward to 2008 and the Big Bank Meltdown, and contraction of credit and the housing bubble.

Then add TARP, and mix well.

Short memory syndrome, party of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Speaking of 2 yar olds, you might want to look in that mirror every now and then.

Seriously, dude? Are you going to deny the GOPs culpability in the recession? Two unfunded Wars, unfunded tax cuts, the housing bubble, TARP? The GOP had NOTHING to do with all of that? They were in charge from 2000 - 2007, and yet you and those of your ilk have the unmitigated gall to blame only the democrats for the financial disaster we're in.

The road to this disaster began with Gramm Leach Bliley, which deregulated banks to the pre depression era. Written by three members of the Grand Old Party and signed into law by Bubba, a democrat. Fast forward to 2008 and the Big Bank Meltdown, and contraction of credit and the housing bubble.

Tarp was returned to the taxpayers, WITH A PROFIT, and once again I DIDNT SUPPORT THEM, and neither did a lot of Republicans, but the financial situation isnt the question, neither are the wars, especially considering their over, right?

The question is HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? We're spending $50,000 PER FAMILY, and I'm constantly hearing thats not enough, that the federal government needs more, we need to raise taxes, we need to increase spending to stimulate, we need to find this program and that program.

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? Dont you ever wonder where the hell the government is spending $50,000 PER FAMILY? And thats only on a federal level.. War on poverty for example doesnt seem to be very effective, war on drugs, etc? Department of this, department of that, do you really think you're getting $50,000 worth of services from the government?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:

Obama has had almost 5 years to do something about it but he has shown he is incompetent.

Yea, people who bought houses that couldn't afford it did cause a big problem didn't it? If there is a problem it also matters what is done in reaction.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Now, what I would like from the federal government:

More regulation of the financial industry to reduce the effects of failed speculation.

Reduced funding of the Military Supply Industry including elimination of the mercenary supply companies.

Reduction in size of the Army, Navy and Air Force to actual requirements instead of just providing more places for the Generals and Admirals.

Removing our military and military aid from the Middle East including our favorites Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Establish countervailing tariffs to negate the price advantage of Asian slave labor.

Much more effective border control and a vast reduction of legal H1b immigration.

Much more funding of basic science and environmental studies.

Greater support of public education and college loans.

Huge program to repair and replace failing infrastructure.

Replacement of carbon fueled electric supply with renewable nuclear power.

Universal health care system free of private sector involvement.

Those are just a few things I would like my Federal taxes to support. We need to spend tax money to benefit our entire society and economy and not just the few that have bought their special positions with power, money and future benefits for legislators and bureaucrats.

Once we have all of these the economy will be far more efficient and generate the taxes needed to pay for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Now, what I would like from the federal government:

More regulation of the financial industry to reduce the effects of failed speculation.

Reduced funding of the Military Supply Industry including elimination of the mercenary supply companies.

Reduction in size of the Army, Navy and Air Force to actual requirements instead of just providing more places for the Generals and Admirals.

Removing our military and military aid from the Middle East including our favorites Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Establish countervailing tariffs to negate the price advantage of Asian slave labor.

Much more effective border control and a vast reduction of legal H1b immigration.

Much more funding of basic science and environmental studies.

Greater support of public education and college loans.

Huge program to repair and replace failing infrastructure.

Replacement of carbon fueled electric supply with renewable nuclear power.

Universal health care system free of private sector involvement.

Those are just a few things I would like my Federal taxes to support. We need to spend tax money to benefit our entire society and economy and not just the few that have bought their special positions with power, money and future benefits for legislators and bureaucrats.
So what you want is more handouts, even though government seems to be very inefficient right now.

If $50K in spending isnt enough then how much is, and how do you plan on payinig for it?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Obama has had almost 5 years to do something about it but he has shown he is incompetent.

Yea, people who bought houses that couldn't afford it did cause a big problem didn't it? If there is a problem it also matters what is done in reaction.

And you expected, what? The recession, the worst in a generation, and worldwide, would magically disappear with a new administration? Really? If you believed that, then you are more naive than the people you deride.

Obama is no better or worse than his predecessor.

The banks, because of the deregulation, sold the bad mortgage bundles as AAA investments. Under prior law, they were not allowed to sell investments as part of their commercial banking. The same thing happened before the depression. Apparently Washington forgot all about that. When the housing market exploded, which was inevitable, considering the hyper inflated prices, the banks, who were considered too big to fail, began to fail.

Voila! A world wide recession ensued. Unemployment spiked at double digits. Washington passed TARP, which added trillions to an already bloated deficit. More deficit, more debt. They go hand-in-hand.

Washington, both parties, let the nation down in deregulating the banking industry. They let the nation down by passing legislation that allowed people who could clearly not afford to buy a home, obtain a sub prime mortgage. BOTH the GOP and the Dems are culpable in this.

The deficit sits squarely on the shoulders of both parties. It didn't begin in 2009.

Take the damned blinders off, dude, and see the politicians for what they are.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I note the lack of substance in your posting about lacking substance..
I'm used to fancyfeast, she does not like when anyone points out facts. She "always" attacks and tries to discredit them. That is how the left fights their battles. Only their attacks are lame personal attacks. Fancyfeast does this all the time.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I already send money to the Federal government. I mostly get wars in places I do not care about. I also get unregulated financial industry that puts my money at risk without compensating returns. Add corporate welfare for the energy industry and agriculture and I do not get a lot from the federal government.
You forgot to mention, welfare, section 8, snap, and...... Interest on the national debt.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
And you expected, what? The recession, the worst in a generation, and worldwide, would magically disappear with a new administration? Really? If you believed that, then you are more naive than the people you deride.

Obama is no better or worse than his predecessor.

The banks, because of the deregulation, sold the bad mortgage bundles as AAA investments. Under prior law, they were not allowed to sell investments as part of their commercial banking. The same thing happened before the depression. Apparently Washington forgot all about that. When the housing market exploded, which was inevitable, considering the hyper inflated prices, the banks, who were considered too big to fail, began to fail.

Voila! A world wide recession ensued. Unemployment spiked at double digits. Washington passed TARP, which added trillions to an already bloated deficit. More deficit, more debt. They go hand-in-hand.

Washington, both parties, let the nation down in deregulating the banking industry. They let the nation down by passing legislation that allowed people who could clearly not afford to buy a home, obtain a sub prime mortgage. BOTH the GOP and the Dems are culpable in this.

The deficit sits squarely on the shoulders of both parties. It didn't begin in 2009.

Take the damned blinders off, dude, and see the politicians for what they are.

Oh that is right, Obama's job is to make it worse. Well if that is your standard then Obama is doing a great job! You are on to more than you realize.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Oh that is right, Obama's job is to make it worse. Well if that is your standard then Obama is doing a great job! You are on to more than you realize.

You skipped over the rest of my post and honed in on the first 2 sentences. Congratulations. I rest my case. You obviously superglued the blinders on.

How, exactly is the recession worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies