Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Doesn't matter that its true. Poor Richwine going to be in the cross hairs of the political correct crowd.---God help him!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us...uror.html?_r=0
Well I'm sure that must make you feel special.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How does the IQ of 2nd and 3rd generation hispanics compare to white and asians? The lower IQ could simply be due to a lack of education and not a lack of potential.
I don't know if that data exists but college graduation rates are very low in 4+ generation Mexican Americans.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Doesn't matter that its true. Poor Richwine going to be in the cross hairs of the political correct crowd.---God help him!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us...uror.html?_r=0

Mask, as a minority what is your personal opinion about this anaylsis?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Not exactly like that but we were told something like that when it was explained to us that we would need to learn to speak Spanish in order to communicate with the Hispanics because they were incapable of learning English.

I am sorry, but I don't believe they cannot learn to speak English. I think they are choosing not to speak English.
Most immigrants in L.A. illegally don't speak English well

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
NO. I don’t take his or anyone else’s word without considering the facts.

I do think that if you are going to draw conclusions from a New York Times piece, sans any understanding of the actual facts, that you are not being objective.

How about take a look at the actual paper Richwine wrote on IQ, and or go to the Heritage site, and read the study in question about the cost of legalizing the illegals.

Then based on the facts in hand, make a decision.
Heritage Foundation is against immigration. I'm supposed to believe that somebody from that think tank is going to produce a paper that doesn't do anything other than support the institute's position about immigration. Say out it loud: Heritage Foundation is against immigration, writes a report about the cost if immigration goes into affect, a writer who works for the Heritage Foundation, writes a paper suggesting that immigrants have lower I.Q. How credible does that sound to you?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
The last thing this nation needs is more immigrants, especially uneducated immigrants from mexico and other 3rd world nations.

Any and all immigration, both legal and illegal, must be stopped for at least a decade or more.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Heritage Foundation is against immigration. I'm supposed to believe that somebody from that think tank is going to produce a paper that doesn't do anything other than support the institute's position about immigration. Say out it loud: Heritage Foundation is against immigration, writes a report about the cost if immigration goes into affect, a writer who works for the Heritage Foundation, writes a paper suggesting that immigrants have lower I.Q. How credible does that sound to you?
You should try being intellectually honest for once. They are not "against immigration", they are against illegal immigration and amnesty for the illegals.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
so just to be clear, i'm supposed to take the word of someone who works for a right-wing think tank that opposes immigration. Seriously, you honestly believe that by using that guy, that his word is definite on the IQ of immigrants.
I haven't been able to find the study, but I did find a commentary by Richwine. He doesn't oppose immigration; rather, he thinks an immigration policy should be geared toward higher IQ immigrants. I've been saying for a while that if we are just going to give away citizenship that it should be given to educated Indians and Chinese. There isn't a single Hispanic in my financial modeling class, but there are plenty of Indian/east Asians. I'm actually one of 5 white guys in the class, practically everybody else is east Asian.

A few of my friends are going to have to leave the country once they finish the degree program, but an illegal gardener will get a free pass under the amnesty program. That makes a lot of sense.

Indian Americans: The New Model Minority - Forbes.com

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,126,455 times
No one answered my question... what about white hispanics? Are they less intelligent too?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
guess what? I am FOR immagration reform and think it is nuts that we dont normlize children raised here and educated here because their parents brought them here when they were small children.

BUT I am willing to look at the HF study and view it on the merits. I accept they are opposed to the proposed reform.

What I think is valid is, they bring a different view to the table. Maybe nothing in their study has anything valuable. But maybe there is some reality here that should be considered.

again, look at the paper and be free to reject it on its merits. Not simply because you dont like the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies