Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,511,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You are so full of BS. You want to know the main problem . Its not the union.......it's parents who don't give a damn and rely on teachers
And there it is.....the parents fault.

Why is it teachers are allowed to blame the consumer for being inept at their own jobs.

How long would any other businesss stick around if they blamed the customer for their failures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,219,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Indeed, if you really want an absence of political agendas being foisted on students, go to our private, religious schools bereft of government dollars. The neutrality practically oozes out of the schools doors.
Is that sarcasm? It's very easy for a private school to feed an agenda, we had a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Teach things that are supported by facts and evidence.

The right wing nuts will still complain about bias, because they have a problem with facts and evidence. Those people should be ignored. Kids shouldn't have their education's ruined just because a bunch of morons think human knowledge hasn't advanced since a storybook was written by a bunch of people who knew essentially nothing.
The politics of the organizations that are related to the after life are very real. Parents want to make sure that the kids fit in those political organizations.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I don't know that I've ever had a good teacher who taught without bias.

I'll just bet that the OP would prefer the type of fictional history books that the state of Texas loves. You know, David Barton-style "scholarship." The kind of feel-good history that leaves out all that messy stuff that might reflect poorly on the good ole US of A. After all, if you talk about Guatemala in the fifties or the American-Philippines "War" or if you talk seriously about the indigenous peoples of America beyond them as "fierce warriors," well, that's revisionism.

Now, as to the real indoctrination:

Pete Seeger - What Did You Learn In School? - YouTube
I had a few good math teachers (or maybe I am just "talented" at math, idk) who taught without political bias. I also had an English teacher and a debate teacher teach their subjects well without political bias.

Also, you're very wrong about my preference of feel good history. I support teaching a complete history of significant political events in the United States. Unfortunately many people learn at a too slow of a pace to teach that in one year at a high school level.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Would it be not arguable to leave out the hard sciences as well because of the AGW/CC inferno? That field is often the most reviled of being biased. And what about things such as the Constitution and Bill of Rights, should those be left out as well?

~never-more
To be honest, AGW/CC is something that should best be discussed and debated at least at the college level. AGW/CC is a very complex subject, since the earth is a complex system and you need to understand how the earth changes temperature by itself first. (I suppose however, things like the Kyoto Protocol could be mentioned as a historical fact in recent world history)

However, the historical aspects of climate change could be discussed in geology, along with the different climates across the earth. Another related topic could be pollution and it's regulation, which could be discussed in civics class.

The constitution and the bill of rights can be taught as historical fact, as could any revision. However, if they were to be discussed and debated, it would be very difficult not to choose a side.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,601,781 times
Get rid of the Dept. of Education!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,821,391 times
We cant.

I mean, obviously math and science and english dont need politicizing, but its hard to find a history book without a particular slant.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,601,781 times
I personally think it's disgusting that teachers can't just teach without putting their personal beliefs on everything in the classroom.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
And there it is.....the parents fault.

Why is it teachers are allowed to blame the consumer for being inept at their own jobs.

How long would any other businesss stick around if they blamed the customer for their failures?
The task of learning requires two people to do their jobs. One is of the teacher to provide the material and the recommended ways of learning it. The other is of the student to study the material. If one of them fails to do their job, the task of learning is not completed.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,442,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Unions are part of the free market though.
Not public unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies