Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He did not get in trouble
When did I say that he did, although he should. Or perhaps you think it is appropriate for a teenager to curse at a teacher during class?

Quote:
and the teacher is on paid leave while they investigate.
And? Are you implying that this means that the teacher must have done something wrong because there is an investigation?

Quote:
It goes both ways helenejen. Give the student the benefit of the doubt.
He was very articulate about his anger and frustration.
Why would I give a student acting like that the benefit of the doubt? His behavior is totally inappropriate.

Quote:
This "hissy fit" students usually throw chairs before they leave cursing you out as they close the door.
You've obviously never spent time in a classroom.

Quote:
Glad to see that even the student found his behavior to be problematic in hindsight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Exactly. Plus kids on cell phones in class...excellent.

Here's an idea if you're upset with the teaching methods: Write down your concerns and ask to meet with brass to go over things AFTER hours. There's your start. Then proceed accoordingly like the thoughtful, intelligent, well-intentioned student you are.

So it all comes down to being politically correct, not fixing a problem? That's just great!

I'll take my participation trophy NOW please.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
When did I say that he did, although he should. Or perhaps you think it is appropriate for a teenager to curse at a teacher during class?

And? Are you implying that this means that the teacher must have done something wrong because there is an investigation?

Why would I give a student acting like that the benefit of the doubt? His behavior is totally inappropriate.

You've obviously never spent time in a classroom.

Glad to see that even the student found his behavior to be problematic in hindsight.
Certified Math 4-8 and been in several school districts for the past 3 years mostly inner city and rural.

The last one cussed me out in the classroom for "disrespecting him" when I asked him to be quiet while another student was reading out loud.
One call to the office and he was removed and suspended for a week.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Certified Math 4-8 and been in several school districts for the past 3 years mostly inner city.

The last one cussed me out in the classroom for "disrespecting him" when I asked him to be quiet while another student was reading out loud.
One call to the office and he was removed and suspended for a week.
Then you certainly realize that throwing a chair would constitute MORE than a hissy fit, and that this student cursing at his teacher is totally inappropriate.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Then you certainly realize that throwing a chair would constitute MORE than a hissy fit, and that this student cursing at his teacher is totally inappropriate.
I didn't hear any cursing in that video.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Taking the video at face value I'd say the kid did good. If the teacher has checked out and was saying the job is just a paycheck to her, then he's right.

That said, just yesterday a co-worker was telling me about her sister who is a public school teacher. She only makes 30 K a year and has three kids of her own to support (their father died a few years ago) She has to work part time at a second job to make ends meet. She is wants to get out of education (something she's always had a passion for) because it's not worth it. She wasn't looking to get rich, but she wanted to make a living and isn't able to do that.

My point is that while I think this student appears (not having the full story) to be in the "right" I think that when our country is okay with paying peanuts to public educators then we are not going to get the cream of the crop...or even when we do have someone who is a great teacher, eventually the low pay and high responsibility is going to break many of them.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
But was he logical?

Jon Rappoport's Media Schedule: Logic & Analysis Course

Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
This is cursing at the teacher.

Fight Between Oakland Middle School Girl, Teacher Caught On Video « CBS San Francisco

Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
So it all comes down to being politically correct, not fixing a problem? That's just great!

I'll take my participation trophy NOW please.
Not sure what you mean.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You don't considered using "b****ing" a curse word? Or perhaps you just didn't hear it.

But there is no way that you are a teacher and would stand for a student talking to you that way, let alone disrupting class that way. Totally inappropriate. Even the student acknowledged so after the fact. Frightening that grown adults do not see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies