Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sorry to interrupt the high-level disussion going on.

That's close to what I'm saying. The system of voting to approve ssm or recognize other states' legislatively or by popular vote will stall. The best and probably only hope of all gay people having the right to marry where they live and also have the marriage recognized wherever they move is via the courts.
For some comparisons:

In 1968, only 17% of whites approved of black/white marriage. That was the year after interracial marriage was legalised by the US Supreme court throughout the US with the Loving v Virginia case. It wasn't until 30 years later in 1997 that a majority approved of interracial marriage.

Acceptance of Interracial Marriage at Record High

Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Anytime somebody pulls the klan card, that's when you know you've won.
You would have to be a worthy opponent for this to be a competition. The fact that you're basically an ignorant bigot in the same way that those people were is a perfectly reasonable comparison, especially in the context of historical retrospect.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And being Gay was once viewed as a psychological disorder? If Gays want to use the 'consenting adult arguement it really should be applied across the board to all adults.

The only reason I'm in support of Gay marriage is because of the Consenting adult arguement. Your tax paying American citizens, what you do behind closed doors has no affect on me.

As far as related people having children, that it none of my business either.
Yes, it was, and then studies and science eventually proved otherwise. If that happens with incest, so be it. Unlike some, I have no problem changing viewpoints based on the evidence.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Very nice, but the issue isn't how your marriage will be changed.

The issue is how the definition of marriage will be changed.
The definition won't be changed for heterosexuals. They will still have heterosexual marriages. This is simply a classic case of taking your own character flaws (bigotry, fear, etc.) regarding a situation and finding a way to apply it to something you value that will actually not be effected in any way. You intentionally throw yourself into the middle of something you need not to because you personally have a severe and unreasonable dislike of gays.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I meant man. I must have been typing too fast.
So you want to protect the institution of marriage so much, you advocate that gay people enter into what are essentially false marriages based on complete lies.

You have no idea what you're arguing, do you.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
Sodomites unite!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Sodomites unite!
Then there will be a whole lot of heteros joining us as well, since at least 95% of all couples engage in some form of sodomy.

When will you be signing on?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I will be very surprised if SCOTUS issues some kind of highly impactful decision. My guess is that DOMA is dead and Prop 8 is (maybe) dead, but that will be the extent of it. Can you imagine the screaming from the tea party if state constitutional bans were struck? The entire bloody south would secede en masse. There are 30 states with constitutional bans. Another 9 states (including MN as of today) have simple statutes. Oddly, New Mexico appears to be the only state with no law addressing the issue ...
I think you are probably right.

It seems very unlikely that SCOTUS is going to make a broad sweeping ruling legalizing same sex marriage in all 50 states. My prediction is that California's Prop 8 is going to fall (Hollingsworth case) and much of DOMA (Windsor case) is going to be invalidated. The opposition to same sex marriage is crumbling, states are legalizing it one by one ... it won't happen overnight, but as Time magazine put it on their front cover: "Gay Marriage Has Already Won."

Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 AM

124 posts, read 145,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good news, and if this passes, then there will just be 38 states to go!
I don't think so. Some states will probably continue to follow their state constitution ban of same sex marriage.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshi View Post
I don't think so. Some states will probably continue to follow their state constitution ban of same sex marriage.
Not if state constitutional bans are found to be in violation of the constitution of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies