Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't understand why presenting awards for accomplishments is a bad thing. That's life and competition--you put in the effort to achieve over and above everyone else, and you are rewarded. That's the way things work in the real world--you bust your butt, and you get ahead. I also don't have a problem with elementary school graduations--it's just a little ceremony to acknowledge that kids are transitioning to a new school and a new phase in life. If the parents hold a big party with gifts and cake, then it's ridiculous, but I've never heard of that happening either. When I was a kid, we had awards for winning spelling bees, for good citizenship, etc. This is no different. I think lots of you have either forgotten or choose to ignore what really happened when you were kids. I've never seen a trophy ceremony that rewards "everyone" past really early elementary. At that point, particularly in sports, there shouldn't be a heavy emphasis on competition, because it burns kids out. At that age, you just want them out there participating and learning fundamentals. The real competition kicks in during late elementary and Jr. High, and it just gets tougher with time. I think it's ridiculous to think that an 8 year old learns that "everybody is a winner" and that it somehow damages him for life by getting a participation medal. He's going to learn otherwise by the time he's 10 or 11, when he doesn't make the team at all or play if he doesn't work hard. .

I think lots of you are just really cranky old people who have too much time on your hands and want to complain about young people. That's sad.
Awards for accomplishments isn't a bad thing. But what is an accomplishment? I think completing elementary school deserves very little recognition. This is an expectation, not an accomplishment. In my experience (as a parent of 3) elementary schools kids are excited as hell to go to middle school. There is zero need to hold a ludicrous "graduation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He was grousing about how his dad only has an associate's degree but makes fantastic money as an oil and gas consultant - he claims that "never could happen today." What he doesn't know is that it STILL DOES HAPPEN TODAY - but only to guys who have been busting their butts in the oil and gas industry since they were 18 - and who got those initial entry level jobs BECAUSE they had a work history stretching back to when they were 15 - or younger.

In other words, they have what he is missing - an actual WORK ETHIC and the realization that success is usually the result of lots of hard work - by someone.

He just doesn't want it to be hard work done by HIM.
Right, they say you can't do this or that anymore, when there are young people actually doing it right now. Some kids are so devoid of work ethic they can't even comprehend that others their age have that quality and are succeeding through hard work and starting at the bottom.

Someone should put the brakes on your stepson's overindulgence and stop loading that debit card for starters. He has a lousy entitled attitude, you must be patient to put up with it.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As I have watched how parenting has changed over my teaching career, I have been saying this for a long time. We "protect" our children too much. Children need to experience failure and disappointment in order to be able to cope as adults. Children need to learn that everyone isn't a winner and it isn't the end of the world. Children need to learn how to pick themselves up, dust off their pants, and keep going so they can do that as an adult when life throws them a curve. Children need to learn Mommy and Daddy can't make everything right and if their is fixing to do, they can do it themselves. Children need to learn life isn't fair and you have to play with the hand you are dealt. Children need to learn getting your feelings hurt happens so they know how to cope with it.

This is a great article.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...1/nation-wimps

My 10 year old son's favorite phrase when it comes to something he doesn't like... "that's not fair!" Guess what kid? Life isn't fair.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nailed it.

This whole "young kids today suck" attitude is pure garbage. I'm sorry I even mentioned that I think the financial climate is much tougher today. It only fuels the fire of the "I walked 50 miles to school" crowd.
Yeah.

It sucks sooooo bad that it would take me over an hour to name all the self-made millionaires I know...who did it in the last decade.

Business owners, entrepreneurs, inventors, investors, various professionals...

People who aren't whining and instead picking up some work and doing it are doing not just fine, but GREAT!
My 12 years of post high school education is a joke when you consider my friend's husband's multimillion dollar scrap metal business...he has no formal education. Just some freaking gumption.

Ok. So maybe there is a problem with the job market today (that's never happened before ). But what does sitting around whining do to help?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Awards for accomplishments isn't a bad thing. But what is an accomplishment? I think completing elementary school deserves very little recognition. This is an expectation, not an accomplishment. In my experience (as a parent of 3) elementary schools kids are excited as hell to go to middle school. There is zero need to hold a ludicrous "graduation".
I think graduating from High School and College are expectations vs. accomplishments. Does that mean we shouldn't have commencement exercises?

Good grief--no one's talking about a full blown reception with gifts and cake for an elementary school graduation. It's just a little ceremony at the school with the parents, and maybe a few grandparents, to acknowledge that they're leaving the school and moving on. It's a nice way to say goodbye. If you have a problem with that, or you think it's some kind of a "special flower" or entitlement mentality, then I can't help you.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
You can blame liberalism for the wussification of today's children.

Liberals want to create a nation of perpetual babies who are dependent on big government for everything.

We really ought to replace the stars and stripes with a flag having a big mother pig with a bunch of piglets nursing - because that is what the Democrats are making our turning our once great republic into.

We need to elect conservatives to save the republic from imminent destruction.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As I have watched how parenting has changed over my teaching career, I have been saying this for a long time. We "protect" our children too much. Children need to experience failure and disappointment in order to be able to cope as adults. Children need to learn that everyone isn't a winner and it isn't the end of the world. Children need to learn how to pick themselves up, dust off their pants, and keep going so they can do that as an adult when life throws them a curve. Children need to learn Mommy and Daddy can't make everything right and if their is fixing to do, they can do it themselves. Children need to learn life isn't fair and you have to play with the hand you are dealt. Children need to learn getting your feelings hurt happens so they know how to cope with it.

This is a great article.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...1/nation-wimps

Give me the data. . .

If psychology today or you or anyone believes something like this, you got to show me some evidence. This kind of crap (kids today) is gripped about the older parents/non-parents every year. I'm sure it started in the 50s and is the matra of today.

Yet I haven't seen much of a problem. Crime is down. Kids didn't wreck the economy, but the ones I work with (younger) seem just like everyone else.

Rename this to "KIDS TODAY, SHEESH" then re-post every 10years

Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Liberals want to create a nation of perpetual babies who are dependent on big government for everything.

We really ought to replace the stars and stripes with a flag having a big mother pig with a bunch of piglets nursing - because that is what the Democrats are making our turning our once great republic into.

Yeah, boy. Lets get the trucks. Dogs from under the house. Toss our kids a few guns (3 and 7 months old) and go out and have a good 'ol time in the holler.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
THANK YOU; it's gotten so ridiculous I'm surprised they don't have ceremonies to mark going to the toilet.

Quote:

Most of the anxious, controlling, helicopter parent types I know are Republicans/conservatives. YMMV.

THIS liberal doesn't have children but I'm disgusted by the self-indulgent 'everyone's a winner' culture that we have now. Children ARE being wussified. It's sick.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:

hahaha! OMG. Hey, I am a former teacher. Guess which parents asked for free upping of grades for their underserving kids? One guess, baby, and it wasn't liberals. Republicans have a sense of entitlement that shocks the sensibilities. It's as if they were BORN believing they're special and deserving, and of course, their kids should get automatic As for doing inferior work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies