Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I was reading this article about how teachers have created this "mantra" about not being paid enough, while in truth, school teachers are starting off with $60,000 in pay! STARTING is the key word here. That is not counting their union negotiations, free benefits, tenure (almost impossible to fire them unless they pretty much commit some kind of a crime), and very good retirement benefits.

Check out this article: Entry-Level Jobs That Pay More Than $50k

High School Teachers -- $59,269 entry earnings

While many believe teachers are underpaid, a near-$60,000 entry-level salary makes for solid earnings. To qualify for a teaching career, you'll typically need to earn a teaching degree, in addition to completing your state's teacher certification requirements.

To fill urgent needs, many districts will let you begin your classroom teaching while taking online education classes that lead to accelerated licensing. Openings will be greatest at urban or rural school districts, with subjects like math and science atop the hiring wish list.

--> Now here is my question: can any teachers out there tell me how much the starting pay is? I don't intent to be a teacher, but my cousin wants to be a teacher, so I really want to know if teachers really can starts @ $60k or not.

Thanks!
good post, rep for you.
i think its less here, 40k starting? whatever it is its not enough in my opinion hats off to teachers.
but considering you gota have a bachelors and min 24 unite of grad school for even single subject credential looking at a big fat student loan and considering the harrassment threats, physical danger and abusive behavior teachers are subjected to and considering the welfare department here is full of credentialed teachers (gosh why would you wana go work in a negative high stress invoronment life welfare if you got a teaching credential gee i wonder why) all those factors are stuff to think about b4 signing up.
hope i did not ramble too much a simple salary quote would have worked.
thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Teachers in Oklahoma start off at about 24,000 dollars. For a 4-year degree graduate in that state, that is terrible (I believe 34,000 is the median income in Oklahoma). I don't know what they make in Florida but I've heard it is not good either.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Teachers in Oklahoma start off at about 24,000 dollars. For a 4-year degree graduate in that state, that is terrible (I believe 34,000 is the median income in Oklahoma). I don't know what they make in Florida but I've heard it is not good either.
the best states are california and Alaska... for pay of teachers...and I think california is 34K to start.... which considering the cost of living there.. is about the same as 20K here in idaho...

Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM

177 posts, read 257,568 times
Florida is very low,about 17K to start.Ridiculous!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
Teachers protect their jobs and the failing school systems with a vicious union that gnashes teeth and attacks any oppostion to the status quo for education in this country. Good, let them have their union and their $12 bucks an hour to start doing a thankless stressed out job. Hopefully one day the quality teachers in this country will realize they could be makin one heck of alot more money selling their labor in a free market rather than being held back by a bunch of lazy idiots in dunce caps

Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Teachers protect their jobs and the failing school systems with a vicious union that gnashes teeth and attacks any oppostion to the status quo for education in this country. Good, let them have their union and their $12 bucks an hour to start doing a thankless stressed out job. Hopefully one day the quality teachers in this country will realize they could be makin one heck of alot more money selling their labor in a free market rather than being held back by a bunch of lazy idiots in dunce caps
rude...I'll keep that in mind when your son/daughter ends up in my class..

Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Interesting article about the national high teacher turnover. I think there are two types of people that become school teachers. The ones that are scared of the real world (If you can't do it, teach it) and looking for a job with a pension and union and lots of time off, and the ones that feel they have a vocation and truly want to make a difference.

I think the latter group are finding that the bureacracy and regulations and BS and low pay that accompanies teaching today makes them disillusioned and quit after a period. The ones that are more interested in the "job for life" and 3 months of summer vacation, etc. are more the ones that tend to stay. So you get a constant merry go round of new teachers, many less than qualified, and teachers sticking it out are doing so for the wrong reasons. (I know there are exceptions to this...this is generally speaking.)
Great post and very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
REALLY great info. I'd be curious how raising salairies a bit would affect the turnover rate (and associated costs). Maybe it would prove more cost effective to spend a bit more up front to retain good teachers than to spend the money over and over again constantly bringing in new ones.
Ken

I don't think raising the salaries will create retention of "qualified" teachers. However, if you couple a salary increase and remove the mandatory "teach them to take a test" and the social agendas - then we might see more qualified teachers remaining or returning. To just give a salary increase is not going to create more of the good teachers to stay in the field.
Unfortunately, until they allow them to teach an actual curriculum and not a ridiculous test, then you're going to be stuck with the ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
looking for a job with a pension and union and lots of time off

Last edited by ayannaaaliyah; 11-02-2007 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
I'll hope and pray you are one of the quality teachers. Or is the entire profession stocked with angels? Ive worked union labor all my life, I know what happens to employee performance when they hide behind union membership, The teachers union being one of the most powerful and insulated in the history of unions and one of the worst.

I will keep my kids in public schools through the 6th grade as American schools do relatively well with the younger kids. From there I will seek out a private school as that is my choice. It just pains me that I will have to pay twice to excercise this lack of freedom. Hate being handcuffed by a rotten school system and corrupt teachers union

Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I'll hope and pray you are one of the quality teachers. Or is the entire profession stocked with angels? Ive worked union labor all my life, I know what happens to employee performance when they hide behind union membership, The teachers union being one of the most powerful and insulated in the history of unions and one of the worst.

I will keep my kids in public schools through the 6th grade as American schools do relatively well with the younger kids. From there I will seek out a private school as that is my choice. It just pains me that I will have to pay twice to excercise this lack of freedom. Hate being handcuffed by a rotten school system and corrupt teachers union
get involved and change it if you don't like it... don't opt out to not have to pay for it..because you don't "like it"
I don't agree with everything the Union does.. in fact i think it does make teachers less accountable.. but you know.. I worked in the private sector.. in marketing.. and found that money was not the important thing for me in my life.. and I found something in teaching that is rewarding...
as was mentioned earlier... you can't just pay teachers more.. you have to make them accountable.. just like any other job out in the market.. BUT you can't just correlate test scores with teacher performance.. that is absurd..
some things about the system DO have to change.. and I for one as a teacher have stated many times before.. that it takes parental involvement.. I actually welcome parents.. I LOVE PTA's.. they work.. In fact I welcome parents into my classroom regularly.. and it is clear their children are better educated.. because me as a teacher am allowed to work directly with the parent in educating their child.. its a win win...
I welcome these parents input.. and i would be more than fine with allowing these parents to decide how I get paid.. what i don't like is parents who are not involved.. but constantly on my phone just complaining.. deciding my pay.. when they are not even in the loop... and then they wonder why it all sucks...

Last edited by boiseguy; 11-02-2007 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Maybe that's because you get what you pay for?
I suspect many folks who could be talented teachers are indeed working somewhere else.

Ken
Most of the teachers in the report were in the north east, so I didn't pay all of them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies