Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Yahoo should be ashamed of themselves for printing this article. I wonder who sponsored it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's articles like that, that cause these dummies with that paper after four years of beer bashes to demand these outragious and unrealistic high starting salaries. Half of them will by fortunate to get half what those salaries state, the other half will be working at Walmart paying off school loans and living with mom and dad for another ten years.

Resteraunt manager as a staring position? Yeah maybe after working 20 years in McDonalds.
Physical therapists? - most phyical therapists making that salary are self employed after spending a lifetime building up a clientele.
The biggest laugh is financialy analysts starting at $83k HAHAHAHA...good luck on that. Most will get lucky starting as an intern for a few bucks over minimum wage.
That whole article is a laugh fest of innaccuracies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
It's articles like that, that cause these dummies with that paper after four years of beer bashes to demand these outragious and unrealistic high starting salaries. Half of them will by fortunate to get half what those salaries state, the other half will be working at Walmart paying off school loans and living with mom and dad for another ten years.

Resteraunt manager as a staring position? Yeah maybe after working 20 years in McDonalds.
Physical therapists? - most phyical therapists making that salary are self employed after spending a lifetime building up a clientele.
The biggest laugh is financialy analysts starting at $83k HAHAHAHA...good luck on that. Most will get lucky starting as an intern for a few bucks over minimum wage.
That whole article is a laugh fest of innaccuracies.
The article is mostly junk....but my sister is a Physical Therapist and they make a good buck. Again, I'm talking about actual physical therapists though and not professions like Physical Technicians etc.

60k for a PT is not starting pay....but I've seen averages after 5 years of >50k so 60k is not unreasonable for an experienced PT.

My sister makes more than that but she has a masters etc. and she isn't self-employed.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The article is mostly junk....but my sister is a Physical Therapist and they make a good buck. Again, I'm talking about actual physical therapists though and not professions like Physical Technicians etc.

60k for a PT is not starting pay....but I've seen averages after 5 years of >50k so 60k is not unreasonable for an experienced PT.

My sister makes more than that but she has a masters etc. and she isn't self-employed.
Yes it's a good field and takes some dedication, bet your sister put in some long hours and hard work to get to her position. All these college students think they can walk off the street and get that salary with a 9 to 5 job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Yahoo should be ashamed of themselves for printing this article. I wonder who sponsored it?
Most of those yahoo articles are advertisements or plugs in disguise. I saw links and pop-ups to correspondence college programs (Debrie (sp), etc). I wouldn't be suprised if you clicked on the links and see - LOOK - correspondance courses to teaching, phyiscal therapy, resteraunt manager, etc...just mail in your money.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I was reading this article about how teachers have created this "mantra" about not being paid enough, while in truth, school teachers are starting off with $60,000 in pay! STARTING is the key word here. That is not counting their union negotiations, free benefits, tenure (almost impossible to fire them unless they pretty much commit some kind of a crime), and very good retirement benefits.

Check out this article: Entry-Level Jobs That Pay More Than $50k

High School Teachers -- $59,269 entry earnings

While many believe teachers are underpaid, a near-$60,000 entry-level salary makes for solid earnings. To qualify for a teaching career, you'll typically need to earn a teaching degree, in addition to completing your state's teacher certification requirements.

To fill urgent needs, many districts will let you begin your classroom teaching while taking online education classes that lead to accelerated licensing. Openings will be greatest at urban or rural school districts, with subjects like math and science atop the hiring wish list.

--> Now here is my question: can any teachers out there tell me how much the starting pay is? I don't intent to be a teacher, but my cousin wants to be a teacher, so I really want to know if teachers really can starts @ $60k or not.

Thanks!
wow.. I wanna go there.. I started at 27k here in idaho

Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Starting teachers in NYC earn less than $35,000 or $40,000.
35k or 40K still ain't squat......

I'm a fan of teachers.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:41 PM

It's less than squat in NYC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
35k or 40K still ain't squat......

I'm a fan of teachers.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Yes, I believe you're right: advertising not news.

Quote:

Most of those yahoo articles are advertisements or plugs in disguise. I saw links and pop-ups to correspondence college programs (Debrie (sp), etc). I wouldn't be suprised if you clicked on the links and see - LOOK - correspondance courses to teaching, phyiscal therapy, resteraunt manager, etc...just mail in your money.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
PayScale - Starting Salary for a Teacher - School Teacher Salaries (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/All_K-12_Teachers/Salary/by_Years_Experience - broken link)

The median salary in the U.S.. for a teacher with one year's experience $32,807; for 20 year's experience $55,672.

When I lived in Dallas, one of my friends was a schoolteacher. She made nowhere near $50,000 with 20+ year's experience. In addition, she taught in a lower income neighborhood and was paying for school supplies out of her own pocket for impoverished students.

We're losing too many good teachers to other fields because of low pay.

Last edited by tigerlily; 11-01-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They don't make close to that where I live - less than half of that.
You must teach in a one room school house then.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
If you paid every teacher....

Grade school......40 to 60 M a year....

Middle school....61 to 80 M a year....

High school....81 to 100 M a year....

Do you know how high your school taxes would be? If you do let me know.....I now pay around 2 M a year at todays teacher pay scale...

This is a free economy and you are free to work somewhere else if you don't like your pay scale.

I read somewhere that 28% of teachers need to be fired because thay can't or don't do the job, but once they get the job it's almost impossible to fire them. And I had a few of those teachers myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies