Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just the fact somebody thinks Death Valley could become a lakeside resort
It probably could be, as long as that lake was filled and refilled only with ocean water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Just the fact somebody thinks Death Valley could become a lakeside resort shows how out of touch the Right is in this country. There are certain limits to what current technology can do to modify the environment in a sustainable manner. There is no technological fix to the problem of water shortage in the west or southeast, it requires a political solution of some sort. Maybe implementing a market solution via the political route, such as impact fees upon industry and agriculture for water usage, and taxes upon services that use inordinate amounts of water (such as golf courses).
Really? Really? I wonder if Algore and his cadre of Doomsayers would buy that rebuttal of his Climate Crisis? Now listen up , If we can pump roughly 89 million gallons of crude oil per day through a 4' diameter pipe over three mountain ranges and 800 rivers and streams for a distance of 800 miles from the north slope to valdez. I am pretty confident that we could get even a greater quanity of water, the 260 miles from los angeles to lasvegas or any where on the east coast or gulf, to atlanta, no problem! In fact If we needed to flood Kansas city we could do it! Got to have that "can do" attitude magnulas think positive!!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default Assuming

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Really? Really? I wonder if Algore and his cadre of Doomsayers would buy that rebuttal of his Climate Crisis? Now listen up , If we can pump roughly 89 million gallons of crude oil per day through a 4' diameter pipe over three mountain ranges and 800 rivers and streams for a distance of 800 miles from the north slope to valdez. I am pretty confident that we could get even a greater quanity of water, the 260 miles from los angeles to lasvegas or any where on the east coast or gulf, to atlanta, no problem! In fact If we needed to flood Kansas city we could do it! Got to have that "can do" attitude magnulas think positive!!
Again your assuming that the the states that have a abundance of water will want to actually share the water they have with states that are short on water. Now yeah we could build a pipeline for water....but I think it easier to move the people to where the water is.
On another note. I often wonder why a lot of people would want to move to the south west in general. Now I understand people that have lived there they're whole lives, people that have certain health problems, and those people who just want to be left the hell alone reasons. But never got why a bunch of people who had always live in NYC, Boston, Los Angles would want to move to a environment like the southwest. Think it would be a nice place to visit. but to stay? I don't know.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Again your assuming that the the states that have a abundance of water will want to actually share the water they have with states that are short on water. Now yeah we could build a pipeline for water....but I think it easier to move the people to where the water is.
On another note. I often wonder why a lot of people would want to move to the south west in general. Now I understand people that have lived there they're whole lives, people that have certain health problems, and those people who just want to be left the hell alone reasons. But never got why a bunch of people who had always live in NYC, Boston, Los Angles would want to move to a environment like the southwest. Think it would be a nice place to visit. but to stay? I don't know.
One phrase my friend: no winters------this coming from a Wash DC native.

I HATE cold, snow and ice!

As for Los Angeles; it is frightfully expensive, full of criminals (along with Bleeding Hearts who protect said losers from the consequences of their actions) as well as being overcrowded.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Default This is how many of us feel about diverting water from here

[Excerpt]

Eight Great Lakes-area states, from Minnesota to New York, and two Canadian provinces have proposed a regional water compact that would, among other things, strengthen an existing ban on major water diversions outside the Great Lakes Basin, home to 40 million Americans and Canadians. That proposal still has to work its way through several legislatures, and then it must go to Congress, where the political balance of power has been tilting west and south for decades.

Great Lakes key front in water wars -- chicagotribune.com

Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One phrase my friend: no winters------this coming from a Wash DC native.

I HATE cold, snow and ice!

As for Los Angeles; it is frightfully expensive, full of criminals (along with Bleeding Hearts who protect said losers from the consequences of their actions) as well as being overcrowded.
But why specifically the southwest as opposed the southeast or the gulf coast in general? Why to to a semi arrid environment where you have a more than likely chance of running out of water and less likelihood of receiving rain to fill reservoirs?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
But why specifically the southwest as opposed the southeast or the gulf coast in general? Why to to a semi arrid environment where you have a more than likely chance of running out of water and less likelihood of receiving rain to fill reservoirs?
Hurricanes, high humidity, colder winters more than 50 miles N of the 'redneck Riviera', etc.

Besides; as the deepening drought centered in Atlanta has shown us.......there are no safe havens.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM

397 posts, read 264,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Rich Republican Carnivores, are going to conspire to control all of the water for themselves their children and grand children, while telling all the poor democrat vegans to conserve? That makes sense!

no they are going to keep all the water for themselves, give just enough water to people who can help make them rich and everyone else can die for all they care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies