Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Then you need to come to my neck of the woods, especially during the late winter/early spring and watch these "accurate 3-day forecasts."

So you are comparing the accuracy of a 3-day local forecast to that of a 100 year world-wide prediction? Wow...

Anyone else run into those people that have just enough knowledge to think they know what they're talking about, but in all actuality they make fools of themselves when speaking to those who truly do? Isn't it embarrassing? Don't you feel kinda sorry for them?
I never compared it, I just said that the 3 day forecast is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Not sure who you've been listening too or reading, but no one denies the changes are natural; the debate is whether or not we're speeding up those changes.
Context escapes you, I see. Let me repeat the pertinent part of the sentence:

Quote:
the notion that climate change is a completely natural occurrence.
Completely, as in not aided, accelerated, or created by humans.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
The latest from the AGW crowd is that man may be contributing to and exacerbating natural change.

In about 1997 I attended a seminar at Berkeley and the position was man was 97% responsible. That number stuck with me. It was such a precise declaration with nothing substantive to back it up. The notion of natural climate change was completely discounted. Those were the hockey stick days.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Fine I should have said that they don't deny it can occur on it's own; but it is true that the debate revolves around whether or not we're speeding up a phenomenon that would occur more slowly on it's own.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:38 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Hogwash .... these numskulls can't even get current data correct, let alone predict 100 years out. We haven't even managed to predict weather very accurately, so predicting climate is OUT.

Primates are STILL primates, go to the zoo and verify for yourself ... they haven't evolved very much. As for humans evolving? Ha! That's a joke .... the current crop are collectively the dumbest people to breathe air in the last 100 years .... it looks like DE-EVOLUTION is occurring. What's my evidence to support that? Well, in just the past 50 years, CO2 has gone from being a necessary life giving gas for which life on earth could not exist without ... to being a deadly gas that must be eliminated. That's my proof.

You should know and understand thet much of this nation considers the State of Texas as America's Remedial Reading Section of the nation! I can suggest you start with the Dick and Jane Series.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Climate change IS a natural occurrence. However, man is altering some things by digging stuff up and burning it.

What I want to know is the pros, cons, and significance of such alterations.

...Jury is apparently still out (and I don't think they are going to return with an answer any time soon) but some people act like there is a verdict.
Any impact man has is trifling at "best". And besides, if the choice is between a degree or so warmer, and an Ice Age, well, I' opt for the warmer option.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
Two spots on the Sun were talking one day and one spot said to the other spot "hey spottie, did you hear the latest? No, what's the latest? Well, Earthlings now think that THEY are causing the Earth to warm...What.! Bwahahahahaa....Now THAT is the epitome of conceit..Yea, it really is...bwhahahaha.... best laugh I've had in 3 Billion years......Aw well, lets continue sending up SUPER FLARES...."

Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

I really don't care if we are or if we aren't making changes. We are going to continue to exist and live our lives, and what happens, happens. The earth will continue, we will continue.

All this crapolla about global warm/cooling is about one thing, and one thing alone - exerting power and control over people. The elites want to tell us how to live, what to drive, or not drive, etc., etc., etc., so they conjur up "windmills" to be tilted-at and demand that we live smaller.

Well understand this, and hear it LOUD and CLEAR.

I will continue to live my life as I see fit, and with whatever size "footprint" I damn well want to, and if the earth or the earth-firsters, or Al Gores of the world don't like it, TOO EFFING BAD. You only live once, and I am not going to change for anyone or anything - period.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You should know and understand thet much of this nation considers the State of Texas as America's Remedial Reading Section of the nation! I can suggest you start with the Dick and Jane Series.
Is thet so???

Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Any impact man has is trifling at "best". And besides, if the choice is between a degree or so warmer, and an Ice Age, well, I' opt for the warmer option.
Meh, it takes more than one degree of cooling to cause the ice age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies