Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Dinosour farts
That was what I was thinking also...I imagine a good one from some of those large guys would cover about an acre, at least.

No wonder humans took so long to come around to existence..."Get back in the water everyone, it's another open salad bar"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What evidence do you have that natural events are causing the current warming, no one is questioning that it occurred in the past, where is the scientific evidence that this is other than man made.

Just because we had a warm climate in the past doesn't mean it can happen again lacking any scientific facts as to why it occurred. Yes it happened in the past but to place faith in the fact that is will happen again without any facts is a rather large leap.

I was referring to large volcanic eruptions , asteroinds impacting the earth, etc.
I honestly couldn't count the number of flaws in your post/logic.

Let's see... you want evidence that the current climate change is natural. All i have to do is look at the trends of the warming/cooling cycles and notice we are following the patterns of the past. You would have to prove that it isn't natural by proving that it is man-made. There's lots of evidence to support it, but no proof. I do have proof that the earth has gone through these cycles before w/o the aid of man, therefore it is likely that it will occur again. It will occur again and again even after we are calcified rock. This is called logic. To deny this fact is to claim your own ignorance to everyone.

As to your statement of "Just because we had a warm climate in the past doesn't mean it can happen again lacking any scientific facts as to why it occurred. Yes it happened in the past but to place faith in the fact that is will happen again without any facts is a rather large leap." This so preposterous a statement that I'm having a hard time beleiving that a logical adult wrote it. If the earth has gone through hundreds - if not thousands - of these cycles, with literally tons of evidence to prove it, and to say that it's a large leap to assume it will again... wow. My god, man, did you ever have an earth science class in middle/high school?

As for the volcanos/asteroids, etc.: they will still cause dramatic climate change regardless of what we do, so it's a moot point.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
not one scientist has PROVEN that man is causing climate change

not one scientist has PROVEN that the natural changes happen is SPECIFIC timeframes

sorry but man will someday die and be like the dinasour , and the climate will still be changing periodicly

the fascist liberals are lying, saying "man made" for one reason....A TAX

Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
And of course you have data to confirm that the speed at which these glaciers are receding has never happened before, correct? And I'm not talking about during the modern human history, I'm talking about since the first glaciers have covered any part of the earth. Not in the last 10,000 years. I'm talking about each and every time glaciers have receded during warming periods in the last 4.8 billion years. You actually have data to confirm that the latest one is far faster than the thousands of times it's occurred since the earth's birthday. Really? Wow. I'd love to see where you get this data.
We've been in the Pliocene-Quarternary glaciation cycle for a good while now. So the question is, why would we suddenly expect to be in a glaciation cycle that is different from the one we've been experiencing for the past 2 million years? We have ice core temperature data from about 400,000 years back, which shows the characteristic pattern of these glacial periods. To suggest that we've reached a new epoch with a completely different climate pattern would suggest that something drastic has happened. I think we would have noticed that there were massive volcanic eruptions or some large meteorite hit the earth.

By the way, just because you don't agree with me doesn't suggest that I am talking out of my arse. I'm not presenting any radical new information that isn't in a 200 level Environmental Science textbook.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
When they took the ice core sample from 1910 and compared it to the known temps how close were they?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
We've been in the Pliocene-Quarternary glaciation cycle for a good while now. So the question is, why would we suddenly expect to be in a glaciation cycle that is different from the one we've been experiencing for the past 2 million years? We have ice core temperature data from about 400,000 years back, which shows the characteristic pattern of these glacial periods. To suggest that we've reached a new epoch with a completely different climate pattern would suggest that something drastic has happened. I think we would have noticed that there were massive volcanic eruptions or some large meteorite hit the earth.

By the way, just because you don't agree with me doesn't suggest that I am talking out of my arse. I'm not presenting any radical new information that isn't in a 200 level Environmental Science textbook.

not one scientist has PROVEN that the natural changes happen IN SPECIFIC timeframes (very UNPREDICTABLE)

sorry but man will someday die and be like the dinasour , and the climate will still be changing periodicly, and unpredictably

the fascist liberals are lying, .....they are saying "man made" for one reason..............by making it 'man-made', they can TAX it

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
All one who is not blinded by their AGW religion need do is READ the emails. It isn't fake. It isn't false. It isn't a lie. Those lying scumbag scientists REGULARLY engaged in conspiracy to commit fraud. There are numerous emails, from numerous people, to numerous people. Saying it isn't so won't change the fact that it is true.

I love how the groups promoting AGW are the groups who investigate themselves, refusing to allow an impartial and outside group do the investigating.
I've READ many of the e-mails. They don't prove ANYTHING.

There are no national or major scientific institutions anywhere in the world that dispute the theory of Man-made climate change. Not one.

Ken

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

not one scientist has PROVEN that the natural changes happen IN SPECIFIC timeframes (very UNPREDICTABLE)

sorry but man will someday die and be like the dinasour , and the climate will still be changing periodicly, and unpredictably

the fascist liberals are lying, .....they are saying "man made" for one reason..............by making it 'man-made', they can TAX it
There are no national or major scientific institutions anywhere in the world that dispute the theory of Man-made climate change. Not one.

Climate Change: Consensus

The folks who have studied the issue and concluded it's Man-made is a Whos-who of scientific organizations. What are YOUR credentials? - besides the fact that you have a computer and access to the internet?

Sorry, but you're a nobody in the world of science and I'll take THEIR word over YOUR word ANY DAY. You can choose to disbeleive if you want, but your opinion is of no value - none, nada, zip.

Ken

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

Question: How do we know that all cycles follow the exact same pattern of heating/cooling? I know the data is probably there show similarities between each cycle, but do we know each is precisely consistent with each other? IOW, is there not a single cycle that deviated from the norm?

And you've stated that the data goes back 400,000 years. But not 4.8 billion years. Let's assume for a moment glaciation really wasn't an issue until about 2.5 billion years ago. You're still missing 2,499,600,000 years of data to show that occasional leaps in temperature did or did not occur.

I assume that that the speed of the warming is the main issue that points toward something "different". And do I think we - humanity - might have something to do with it? Maybe. It would be easy to assume that we - humanity - are the "different" variable this time. But I also think that, in science, we never say we "know it all", because when we do, nature tends to let us know how much we truly do not know. I think that we still do not have the entire picture of all of the factors to climate change. I'm not a denier. I'm a skeptic.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I honestly couldn't count the number of flaws in your post/logic.

Let's see... you want evidence that the current climate change is natural. All i have to do is look at the trends of the warming/cooling cycles and notice we are following the patterns of the past. You would have to prove that it isn't natural by proving that it is man-made. There's lots of evidence to support it, but no proof. I do have proof that the earth has gone through these cycles before w/o the aid of man, therefore it is likely that it will occur again. It will occur again and again even after we are calcified rock. This is called logic. To deny this fact is to claim your own ignorance to everyone.

As to your statement of "Just because we had a warm climate in the past doesn't mean it can happen again lacking any scientific facts as to why it occurred. Yes it happened in the past but to place faith in the fact that is will happen again without any facts is a rather large leap." This so preposterous a statement that I'm having a hard time beleiving that a logical adult wrote it. If the earth has gone through hundreds - if not thousands - of these cycles, with literally tons of evidence to prove it, and to say that it's a large leap to assume it will again... wow. My god, man, did you ever have an earth science class in middle/high school?

As for the volcanos/asteroids, etc.: they will still cause dramatic climate change regardless of what we do, so it's a moot point.
If you have some information that the current global warming is due to specific natural events as you alluded then post it, or I will assume you have nothing.

Once again I don't question that the earth has gone through cycles in the past but your logic seems to be that well it happened once so I believe it will happen again, I don't know why but I have blind faith. Also your statement that the earth has gone through thousands of these cycles, would love to see that graph.

MY reference to volvcanoes and asteroids was that they could have been responsible for changes in the past, not a moot point, I was not indicating we could eliminate volcanoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies