Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,937,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why are some people under the impression that there are still free clinics out in the world ? Well I know for a fact that there are no free clinics anywhere , anymore because of all the budget cuts the feds have put on the once free clinics . They have had to shut down .. It just amazes me how some people are so clueless to what is going on out there in the world . I heard a lady at the pharmacy where I go saying that there were programs out there to help people . I asked her if she had ever tried to get on one of those programs and she said she had not . I told her it is tougher than you think . I have an elderly aunt and she is always having trouble with her medicaid she is not eligible for medicare yet . She tried to get on one of these so called programs and omg the paperwork they had to have by the time she finished and sent in the paperwork they called her back and told her she did not qualify . I was astounded to say the least . Im sure there are people out there thinking that there are programs for her but Im here to tell you there is not any programs any more for people considered low income . Now we are going through hell trying to figure out how obama care is going to make her life an even bigger mess . The lady who lives across the street she works for the government and she is telling us that obamacare is going to be a big mess and she is telling my aunt that the way she understands it is that if you make 65.00 a week just saying this for reference then 35 of it will go for obamacare ...now if that is true how in the friggin blue blazes do they expect senior folks to eat ? and have utilities too ? if this is true we are all headed for hell in a handbasket .
If you are conversing on the internet, it may be advantagous for you to use it to read about what Medicaid, Medicare, and "Obamacare" is... and will and will not do.

If you Aunt is on Medicaid she is below the poverty level and ill. She should not need to be going to a free clinic. She should have been enrolled in a Health M O program offered by your state...while she is waiting for medicare to start.

If your Aunt is on Medicaid/Medicare, there will be no need for her to worry about Obamacare. If you Aunt is recieving any monies through medicaid, there will be no reduction in benefits due to Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
12204 clinics in the database on this website
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This makes me sick when people tell others to go to the ER because its free.
How can people be so stupid?
Really?

It isn't free at all,they send you a bill.
Yes,you get billed.
If you can't pay,well,then your credit gets shot.

Jerks......stupid dummies.
Yes.....thank you for pointing that out.

Even some politicians have bought into this ignorance.

You go to the ER, they have to see you, they send you a bill, you don't pay, it gets sent to a collection agency, where interest is tacked on, and they will hound you for years.

The emergency room is not free.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

You go to the ER, they have to see you, they send you a bill, you don't pay, it gets sent to a collection agency, where interest is tacked on, and they will hound you for years.

I've always wondered, how do they find you. What if you don't give them your SS number or real name/address. How can they really bill you?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I've always wondered, how do they find you. What if you don't give them your SS number or real name/address. How can they really bill you?
Well, if you LIE, then maybe it does end up being free.

Although don't they ask for some i.d. - a driver's license or something?

The last time I went to an emergency room, it was for a serious accident on the job and my supervisor took care of all the information, so I can't say for sure.

The time before that, it was for a burst appendix (7 1/2 years ago) and I can't remember if they asked for proof of identity.

It's never occurred to me to LIE when going to the doctor or emergency room.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,176 times
Quote:
Well, if you LIE, then maybe it does end up being free.

Although don't they ask for some i.d. - a driver's license or something?

The last time I went to an emergency room, it was for a serious accident on the job and my supervisor took care of all the information, so I can't say for sure.

The time before that, it was for a burst appendix (7 1/2 years ago) and I can't remember if they asked for proof of identity.

It's never occurred to me to LIE when going to the doctor or emergency room.
I've been to an emergency room once for stitches ($1200) and a clinic twice for stitches ($275). I did give them my name and info, but I don't think that I had to show ID. I paid cash so I'm not sure how they would find someone that gave a fake name.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
Yes,they still find you even if you give a fake name.

But the ones around here,you have to show ID,and provide a SS number.

Also,around here,there is no such thing as free.
Its not free,you have to wait 3 months to be seen in the county clinic.

Urgent care isn't free either. They do ask if you have insurance,if you don't,you pay.

I did notice that heathcare is way less expensive in the south.
Howvever,there is a catch to everything. I found the people weren't as "smart" and up on things as healthcare providers up here. They hired more medical assistants than nurses.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM

8,874 posts, read 5,361,817 times
Boehringer Ingelheim AmeriCares Free Clinic of Danbury

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
Quote:

People that say the ER is free don't understand that they are the people directly responsible for high insurance costs.
The costs get passed on to those of us that do have insurance. In my state,some of the tax money goes toward substaining the hospitals. They are recieveing tax dollars.
The hospital has to recoup losses somehow.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,411,913 times
So all the millions who cried about the 2% increase in payroll taxes (really just a return to old rate) are going to come unglued when they find out that a 9.5% deduction might be coming next....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies