U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
 
24,509 posts, read 35,299,280 times
Reputation: 12810

Advertisements

Everyone go outside and plant a tree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,512 posts, read 16,390,240 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I'm not sure how anything you said in this post even remotely resembles what scientists currently know about climate change. Apparently the science you believe in is some alternate reality type science? Perhaps from one of those parallel universes?
(Reuters) – Scientists are struggling to explain a slowdown in climate change that has exposed gaps in their understanding and defies a rise in global greenhouse gas emissions.
Often focused on century-long trends, most climate models failed to predict that the temperature rise would slow, starting around 2000. Scientists are now intent on figuring out the causes and determining whether the respite will be brief or a more lasting phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,512 posts, read 16,390,240 times
Reputation: 8052
“The Earth has a fever,” we were told. “The science is settled and the debate is over. Scientists are unanimous - 97% of them agree: climate change is real, and is happening now, and we’ve got to act quickly.”
Over more than two decades we were told again and again that everywhere was warming faster than everywhere else – especially winters were warming up quickly. Snow was becoming a thing of the past and children soon weren’t going to know what it is. “The warm winters that we are seeing are just a harbinger of what’s to come,” the media declared just a couple of years ago. The scientists were ****-sure.
Today we are finding that precisely the exact opposite is happening. Winters in Europe have turned colder and more severe. Central Europe has seen its 5th consecutive colder than normal winter in a row – a record since measurements began in the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,328 posts, read 13,811,111 times
Reputation: 5215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Coincidentally, SOYLENT GREEN (1973) predicted that by 2022, the Earth would be overpopulated and totally polluted; the natural resources would have been exhausted, and the greenhouse effect would keep NYC in a permanent heat wave.
In "Make room, make room" by Harry Harrison, the source for Soylent Green, the author predicted that the dire events transpired because the planet's population reached SEVEN BILLIONS.
We passed that mark back in 2010 or so.
Who would like to bet we hit 14 billions and no "Soylent Green"?
Actually they thought we poisoned the land and air, and the choking pollution would combine with the moisture to hold in all the heat, driving up the temps, evaporating more water and holding in more heat. The movie called it the "greenhouse effect," not greenhouse gas, not high levels of CO2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,512 posts, read 16,390,240 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I'm not sure how anything you said in this post even remotely resembles what scientists currently know about climate change. Apparently the science you believe in is some alternate reality type science? Perhaps from one of those parallel universes?
President Obama has put salvation from dreaded climate catastrophes on his action agenda hot list. During his inaugural address he said: “We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations.” He went on to shame anyone who disagrees with this assessment, saying, “Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires and crippling drought and powerful storms.”
This sort of scary presidential prognostication isn’t new. He previously emphasized at the Democratic National Convention that global warming was “not a hoax”, referred to recent droughts and floods as “a threat to our children’s future”, and pledged to make the climate a second-term priority.

As much as I hate to nit-pick his doomsday scenarios, it might be appropriate to correct a few general misconceptions before getting back to that “overwhelming judgment of science” stuff.
Regarding wildfires, for example, their numbers since 1950 have decreased globally by 15%. According to the National Academy of Sciences, they will likely continue to decline until around midcentury.


As for those droughts, a recent study published in the letter of the journal Nature indicates that globally, “…there has been little change in drought over the past 60 years.And as the U.N. Climate panel concluded last year: “Some regions of the world have experienced more intense and longer droughts, in particular in southern Europe and West Africa, but in some regions droughts have become less frequent, less intense, or shorter, for example, in central North America and northwestern Australia.”


Also, by the way, global hurricane activity, measured in total energy (Accumulated Cyclone Energy), is actually at a low not encountered since the 1970s. In fact, the U.S. is currently experiencing the longest absence of severe landfall hurricanes in over a century. Wilma, the last Category 3 or stronger storm, occurred more than seven years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,817,073 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
According to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), 2013 brought us the second latest start to spring spring in US history. The only recorded year in which the beginning of spring was colder was 1975. Probably not coincidentally, it was in April of 1975 when Newsweek published its infamous “The Cooling World” feature.

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/
Lolz, did you just cite one of those Heartland Institute blogs as your evidence! Awesome!

Believe me, I am well aware of the Heartland Institute and it's habit of buying up web domains that sound almost legitmate and them filling them with nonsense. My favorite is that they created a fake scientific panel and called it the Nongovernmental Panel of Climate Change. It would be hilarious if it wasn't actually fooling people like yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,056,840 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Everyone, stop breathing!
No, everybody who believes in global warming stop breathing. They think we have a problem, let them set an example for the rest of us to follow (or not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,817,073 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
President Obama has put salvation from dreaded climate catastrophes on his action agenda hot list. During his inaugural address he said: “We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations.” He went on to shame anyone who disagrees with this assessment, saying, “Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires and crippling drought and powerful storms.”
This sort of scary presidential prognostication isn’t new. He previously emphasized at the Democratic National Convention that global warming was “not a hoax”, referred to recent droughts and floods as “a threat to our children’s future”, and pledged to make the climate a second-term priority.

As much as I hate to nit-pick his doomsday scenarios, it might be appropriate to correct a few general misconceptions before getting back to that “overwhelming judgment of science” stuff.
Regarding wildfires, for example, their numbers since 1950 have decreased globally by 15%. According to the National Academy of Sciences, they will likely continue to decline until around midcentury.


As for those droughts, a recent study published in the letter of the journal Nature indicates that globally, “…there has been little change in drought over the past 60 years.And as the U.N. Climate panel concluded last year: “Some regions of the world have experienced more intense and longer droughts, in particular in southern Europe and West Africa, but in some regions droughts have become less frequent, less intense, or shorter, for example, in central North America and northwestern Australia.”


Also, by the way, global hurricane activity, measured in total energy (Accumulated Cyclone Energy), is actually at a low not encountered since the 1970s. In fact, the U.S. is currently experiencing the longest absence of severe landfall hurricanes in over a century. Wilma, the last Category 3 or stronger storm, occurred more than seven years ago.
Nice plagiarism from this Forbes article: In Their Own Words: Climate Alarmists Debunk Their 'Science' - Forbes

Anything else, this is getting boring for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Planet earth
3,266 posts, read 1,295,897 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, everybody who believes in global warming stop breathing. They think we have a problem, let them set an example for the rest of us to follow (or not)

That's just mean, you meanie! They shouldn't be asked to stop breathing all together, just to stop exhaling CO2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,817,073 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, everybody who believes in global warming stop breathing. They think we have a problem, let them set an example for the rest of us to follow (or not)
I'd point out that breathing doesn't add any new carbon dioxide to the atmosphere because the same exact amount was taken up by, say, a corn plant 2 months ago, but that would require a long, detailed explanation of the carbon cycle. It doesn't seem as if anyone is up for that tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top