Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You obviously mean the choice as well as right for workers to freeload off the union until the point is reached in which the union no longer has the money needed to contest the boss whenever he chooses to run over the terms of the labor contract.
Perhaps if union bosses were paid less than half a million and if they stopped spending mega-millions on politics, they would have more money to actually support the core function they were designed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
You obviously mean the choice as well as right for workers to freeload off the union until the point is reached in which the union no longer has the money needed to contest the boss whenever he chooses to run over the terms of the labor contract. So this right to work thing is really not at all about worker rights. Far, far from it. Instead, it's about giving the boss better ability to bust the damned union and throw it out. Anybody, who can't see right to work for what it really is just isn't too bright.
Then why cant you find me an example of a union job making 3x as much money as a non union job doing the same exact thing? After all, that was your claim..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,159,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. Again, not believable.

If companies COMMONLY take care of their employees the way you were taken care of, name me 10 other companies where the same exact scenario would've played out the way it happened to you...3 months of 100% pay and Rolls-Royce insurance, retirement, 401...etc.

It's amazing...in the rest of America, they've watched their pay and benefits plummet in recent years, especially with the recession.

But on C-D, everyone has it so great. Hell, another poster claimed to work for a company that pays far above industry standards with all the same Cadillac benefits you claim to have.

Why don't you people name these corporations? I think I work for a damn good company myself, but there's no way in hell that I can make the claims that some of you are making without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.
Sorry, I am actually telling you the truth, I sent you a direct message with more info.

Last edited by Darkatt; 05-11-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Anti Union or anti Union extremism? Its a well known fact that Unions protect the least productive worker as aggressively as they do their most productive members. The teachers Unions are notorious for this. The Chrysler workers who were caught drinking and smoking pot while at work???
Only a fool would deny the good that Unions help to drive in this nation in years past. Only a fool would deny that Unions have also put a good many companies out of business. It is a global economy, our companies need to be able to compete. I work in a nonunion factory. We are paid better than our Union counterparts in other like factories in the area. The bottom line is case cost. The largest portion of case cost is cost of labor. Teams are downsized to meet cost. In years past a team was staffed where we could carry some dead weight, but not today. If we were Union we would be forced to endure the dead weight or worse still priced out of business. In my area sever factories closed down just because of this. Unions refused to compromise.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, I am actually telling you the truth.
Sorry? Damn that!

You postulated that your situation is the norm, not the exception.

Give me 10 companies where the rank and file is treated with equal generosity as you supposedly are at your company.

And I'm not talking about executives.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. Again, not believable.

If companies COMMONLY take care of their employees the way you were taken care of, name me 10 other companies where the same exact scenario would've played out the way it happened to you...3 months of 100% pay and Rolls-Royce insurance, retirement, 401...etc.

It's amazing...in the rest of America, they've watched their pay and benefits plummet in recent years, especially with the recession.

But on C-D, everyone has it so great. Hell, another poster claimed to work for a company that pays far above industry standards with all the same Cadillac benefits you claim to have.

Why don't you people name these corporations? I think I work for a damn good company myself, but there's no way in hell that I can make the claims that some of you are making without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.
21 years I have worked for Procter and Gamble. I have never had a pay cut. I have an excellent retirement plan, insurance and we make a lot more than the average in the area. We have had changes. Staffing downsized. Do more with less. Yet we have been able to do it by improving methods and Technology. All things Unions would have resisted. Our plant is more productive than our Union counterparts and our case cost is lower. If the company needs to close a plant it wont be ours.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,159,269 times
Quote:
But you strongly want mandatory overtime to stop? Right?
Actually, I don't think you can be forced to work overtime. I am of course not sure, I am not an attorney, but I remember somewhere reading that you cannot be forced to work overtime.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSabrian View Post
What's your problem, bob? Drowning yourself in moonshine tonight?
No I leave that for you union boys. The salaries of union execs are available on the web, I would venture a bet that no one involved in running the original UAW was paid so many times more than the members. Unions lost their way, bankrupted industries, and now they are an itty bitty speck of the American workplace.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM

154 posts, read 219,683 times
I'm usually neutral on union issues and the labor unions are majority political figure for many decades.

I believe that non-union workers at unionized workplaces shouldn't take advantage of union related benefits or representatives, such as health insurance, pay negotiation, worker compensation, sick leave, vacation pay, etc that are part of contract agreement. That means non-union workers should deal with employer for pay and benefits, instead of union representatives. I don't believe that anyone should forced to join the unions.

Some of my families worked at unionized workplaces, especially my grandfather was one of them and he worked very hard - 1950's until retired in early 1990's due to brain/lung cancer so he died from those cancer in 1995. How good or bad are unions, are depending on individual unions - there are good and bad unions everywhere.

Back in 1970's, some union workers attacked students because students protested against Vietnam War, so it wasn't pretty for sure.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM

154 posts, read 219,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, I don't think you can be forced to work overtime. I am of course not sure, I am not an attorney, but I remember somewhere reading that you cannot be forced to work overtime.
The employers are required to pay half more if you go work overtime and I was forced to work few hours more at Walmart, but I just got half pay more or get out of job so early in next day - if I worked 11 hours today, so that means I work 5 hours tomorrow, for example.

I resigned from Walmart because of numerous accidents and medical condition, so no more Walmart for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies