U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,153,132 times

Advertisements

The Boston bomber was able to leave the country and fly to Camp Jihad for training and come back with no problem.
But this kid is on the Watch List and is flagged by the TSA although the TSA says there are no kids on their list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/ny...list.html?_r=0

People who think that a government tracking their lives will make them safer are naive and gullible.
That data can be used for so much more by those in power regardless of the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 3,770,496 times
Awful, just awful. The terrorists have won if they've completely gutted our freedoms and privacy. Guess what I'm a research scientist with legitimate needs for things like "ricin" and all sorts of other nasty chemicals. If I receive a quote from a vendor for "ricin" that I'm going to use in research in my gmail does that automatically make me on the terror watch list?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,873,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Boston bomber was able to leave the country and fly to Camp Jihad for training and come back with no problem.
But this kid is on the Watch List and is flagged by the TSA although the TSA says there are no kids on their list:

People who think that a government tracking their lives will make them safer are naive and gullible.
That data can be used for so much more by those in power regardless of the party.
This is an example of why I say the consolidation of "power" and data is a bad idea. This kind of thinking leads to bad things.

Gollum - YouTube

Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM

3,667 posts, read 4,180,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Great post HappyTexan! NSA whistleblower William Binney has been warning us about this for quite some time now. Thank God a few smart and courageous people still exist who have the testicular fortitude to warn their fellow citizens what's really going on under the scam known as the War on Terror and the Patriot Act.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 AM

946 posts, read 818,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
FBI Pushing Hard for Realtime Email, Gchat, Skype, and Dropbox Spying Powers

quote:
The FBI wants more power. That's not any particular kind of surprising, since the FBI always wants more power, but this push is notable for what's it's after: real time spy privileges for your online communication.

Get a VPN, then they are harmless.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM

946 posts, read 818,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Awful, just awful. The terrorists have won if they've completely gutted our freedoms and privacy. Guess what I'm a research scientist with legitimate needs for things like "ricin" and all sorts of other nasty chemicals. If I receive a quote from a vendor for "ricin" that I'm going to use in research in my gmail does that automatically make me on the terror watch list?

Of course it will. Keyword trigger, 99% certain you will be further probed. I would imagine using that word even on a public forum will warrant a scrub of the thread by at bare minimum a bot and perhaps a live set of eyes.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Get a VPN, then they are harmless.
While encryption is useful, that isn't going to protect all those other accounts to which they can get even easier access. However, one could argue about even using some svcs. "smart phones" are wonderful spying tools already. Tons of people consent to all kind of spying.
The Seven Deadly Android Permissions: How To Avoid The Sin Of

Last edited by CDusr; 05-14-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 04:36 PM

This is more TSA, but after seeing these videos I can see one reason maybe the data facility was built in Utah. That is where this is taking place.
Molested: My Unlawful Encounter With TSA

National Opt Out Day WACUtah Part 1 - YouTube

National Opt Out Day WACUtah Part 2 - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,177,756 times
This thread prompted me to look into a self-hosted Dropbox alternative. Two days ago, I set up ownCloud on a company server. We're already running our own instant messenger and email services.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This thread prompted me to look into a self-hosted Dropbox alternative. Two days ago, I set up ownCloud on a company server. We're already running our own instant messenger and email services.

I find it interesting that they are all looking for more access at the same time. Even this bill now being discussed to "protect" journalist is curious.
Text of S.448 as Reported in Senate: Free Flow of Information Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies