Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Oh, so if you put stock in the theory that rules are broken because it's exciting and a rush to do so... do you also put stock into Anarchy?

If humans are less likely to break rules if there are none, because it's boring...then why not, eh?
With teenagers, I put stock in that theory. Though the best teenagers are the ones that have an open conversation relationship with their parents and aren't tethered to a short leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
With teenagers, I put stock in that theory. Though the best teenagers are the ones that have an open conversation relationship with their parents and aren't tethered to a short leash.
My daughter will be accounted for at all times...

My sons talk to me about anything and she will be able to do the same. But she will know that certain actions will be unacceptable. If you hold the stance that resistance is futile when it comes to sex, then you already lost.

What's wrong with teaching children willpower?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:

How? Until when?

Nothing wrong with willpower but you can't learn what you don't have, or what you don't agree with. At some point your offspring will have minds of their own and live their lives the way they want. You will stand back and hold your breath and hope for the best....like everyone else.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How? Until when?

Nothing wrong with willpower but you can't learn what you don't have, or what you don't agree with. At some point your offspring will have minds of their own and live their lives the way they want. You will stand back and hold your breath and hope for the best....like everyone else.
That point will come when they are out of my house.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,260,215 times
oh, you are so deluded. that point comes at in the pre-teen years are when they get a mind of their own.

you can shackle them all you want, the more restrictive you are, the more they rebel.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

My sons talk to me about anything and she will be able to do the same. But she will know that certain actions will be unacceptable. If you hold the stance that resistance is futile when it comes to sex, then you already lost.

What's wrong with teaching children willpower?
That is so cute, you think you have full control over your daughter. Do you keep her locked in her room or have her brother by her side 24hrs a day? Bet she is itching to get into some trouble. I can see it now, she is only gonna be dating guys that pies you off.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Someone must like kiddies.
Do you op?
The OP makes a logical argument here. If a 15 yo can buy plan B, then why can't they have sex? Logically, you don't need plan B if you're not having sex.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
That point will come when they are out of my house.
Then what? You gonna just wash your hands of your own child? Disown her is she does something you don't approve of? I always feel bad for kids that have parents like that. I would never not want to speak to my own parents again, they are a huge part of my life even though I am my own person.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The OP makes a logical argument here. If a 15 yo can buy plan B, then why can't they have sex? Logically, you don't need plan B if you're not having sex.
Well a teen can have sex whenever they want, the age of consent is in place to prevent grown adults trolling for young teens.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then what? You gonna just wash your hands of your own child? Disown her is she does something you don't approve of? I always feel bad for kids that have parents like that. I would never not want to speak to my own parents again, they are a huge part of my life even though I am my own person.
No, why would I disown her?? She will be out in the world as a legal adult earning her keep....she is free to do what she wants. of course, at that point I hope for the best. But she won't have that luxury under my roof and with me supporting her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies