Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Heck, I don't think anyone got together and moved auto making to Detroit suburbs and all over the U.S., let alone offshore, when the automakers decentralized their operations.

As it relates to offshoring , the consumer has been the beneficiary. The U.S. people have demonstrated for decades they are not willing to pay a premium for anything made in the U.S. The irony is that it is often the same people blaming offshoring for job loss who want the best bang for the car buying $.

All we need to do to regain the #1 spot in global manufacturing is eliminate minimum wage, eliminate labor laws, eliminate OSHA, eliminate the EPA. eliminate payroll taxes and create a federal right to work law. That 's what it will take to compete with the third world for those jobs that continue to need human manpower. That the U.S. standard of living would resemble the third world is incidental.
We pay very high prices for new cars in the US compared to other countries.
The average new car price in the US is $31K.
The average new car price in the US was $18K in 2000.

Nearly double in a little over a decade. And parts manufacturing got offshored to bring down prices ?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I'm sorry I'm not a Harvard trained millionaire surgeon with a ex super model trophy wife , maybe if I was I'd be enlightened and listen to Limbaugh/Beck/Hannity.

1. I did not go to Harvard

2. My wife was not a model. She is 6ft tall, 135 lbs and very good looking, but was never a model. I do, however, think of her as a "trophy wife" (first and only marriage), as she is a great person.

3. I am a millionaire- big deal- a lot of people are and it is not uncommon. Most of the people in my neighborhood ARE millionaires, as it is a gated, affluent neighborhood. I guess none of my friends are not "millionaires". It is not that remarkable.

4. I don't listen to Beck/Hannity/Limbaugh- they are too negative.

The simple fact is that you cannot accept the fact that liberal policy has metered out economic misery to the US and has reduced prosperity. Why? IT IS DESIGNED TO DO SO! One cannot pour economic "Roundup" on the economy and expect it to grow. Ironically, who are those complaining most about the misery of the poor? LIBERALS! Oddly, they are the ones who are creating more and more poor people. Why? To increase thier constituency.

More wealthy people = Less Democrats

More poor = More Democrats

Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
As Hillary always says, "what does it matter". Executive order has sent millions$ to detroit...oh it's not a bailout, yes it is taxpayer money handed out with consent of the people's representatives. and it is all legal.

"President Barack H. Obama has decided to bypass Congress in order to bail out Detroit. Sources deep within the Administration, speaking on conditions of anonymity, confirmed for National Report that the President has used a little known maneuver and has declared Detroit to be in a “State of Emergency” thus freeing up discretionary federal funding which can be spent without the approval of Congress. While such declarations are typically used in time of natural disaster, Obama has applied the same logic used to this manmade disaster."
That's a reliable source of information.

A janitor in a federal building is considered a good source of information, now days.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

We pay very high prices for new cars in the US compared to other countries.
The average new car price in the US is $31K.
The average new car price in the US was $18K in 2000.

Nearly double in a little over a decade. And parts manufacturing got offshored to bring down prices ?
Opinion or fact?

Please provide a link to a credible source of this information.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
I believe what killed Detroit was those darned liberals in charge of the city gave all the automakers incentives, subsidies and tax breaks just so Detroit would end up being, Motor City, and the promise of automakers to give jobs to residents.

It's happened in my community, our founding fathers here gave and gave and gave, and the taxpayers are going to end up holding the bag, just as many others have when the corporations find cheap labor in another community and pull up stakes.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. I did not go to Harvard

2. My wife was not a model. She is 6ft tall, 135 lbs and very good looking, but was never a model. I do, however, think of her as a "trophy wife" (first and only marriage), as she is a great person.

3. I am a millionaire- big deal- a lot of people are and it is not uncommon. Most of the people in my neighborhood ARE millionaires, as it is a gated, affluent neighborhood. I guess none of my friends are not "millionaires". It is not that remarkable.

4. I don't listen to Beck/Hannity/Limbaugh- they are too negative.

The simple fact is that you cannot accept the fact that liberal policy has metered out economic misery to the US and has reduced prosperity. Why? IT IS DESIGNED TO DO SO! One cannot pour economic "Roundup" on the economy and expect it to grow. Ironically, who are those complaining most about the misery of the poor? LIBERALS! Oddly, they are the ones who are creating more and more poor people. Why? To increase thier constituency.

More wealthy people = Less Democrats

More poor = More Democrats
Thurston Howe will sue you for copyright violation

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That's a reliable source of information.

A janitor in a federal building is considered a good source of information, now days.
Why are you so quick to dismiss "anonymous sources" ? The Obama administration leaks like a sieve and they prosecute those they can find.

It's not a state of emergency though.

It's a number of grants.."free money" that the administration is giving Detroit.

$320 million for now, just announced as members of the Obama administration were sent to Detroit to hand over the free money.

Oh it's a bailout alright, just not called a bailout.

Obama Commits $320 Million in Aid for Bankrupt Detroit (1) - Businessweek

Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Detroit just happens to be a city whose finances are under a microscope and whose issues of corruption and mismanagement, to the degree that they have manifested, gets highlighted in the media. The same thing goes on in other cities, to one degree or another, but simply never get exposed because people and institutions are not looking to prove a preexisting belief about those cities.

We need to be clear about what the motives are of many. Detroit is the largest majority black city in America. It is also, therefore, a city that has been run by democrats for decades. Thus, you have a segment of the American populous, that certain media outlets represent, that want to highlight Detroit's problems and decline as symbol of the inferiority of black people/leadership and liberal ideology. Thus, its important that people understand the symbolic importance of Detroit to the propaganda of racist and or those on the political right and media outlets, like Fox News and popular personalities, like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly.

Its also important to understand the "movement" of like minds in America that seeks to divorce action, from reaction, when it comes to racism. The narrative in America is that racism had no impact or consequences, and if it did, the impact does not transcend time, but is exclusive to ONLY the moment the act of racism manifested. If racism was a "rape" committed by a person with AIDS, racism would not be, according to the narrative, the cause of the victim have Aids or passing on aids to their offspring, because racism does not transcend time in its impact. If racism was a nuclear blast, the only TRUE victims would be those that died the moment of the explosion and not those whose suffered from the lingering radiation and the mutations caused to subsequent generations, relative to others. The narrative is that racism has been without consequences and has nothing to do with current realities, despite the fact that everything evolves into what it is and the history of America has been a racist one.

That having been said, the role that racism has played in Detroit Decline is not in the narrative, when in fact, the behavior of WHITES is the single largest contributing factor in the decline of Detroit. The city used to have ~ 1.6 million whites, in 1950. Thus, Detroit's White population declined by over 1.5 million people since the cities "Hay Day". Whites have traditionally enjoyed 10 times the wealth and over 1 1/2 times the income, per capita relative to blacks. It does not take a rocket scientist or a PHD in mathematics to figure out the financial impact of the loss of that many whites and not having that population replaced by anyone, leaving the city with less than half its peak population, dominated by a much poorer black demographic, on the cities finances. its one of the largest examples of the impact of white flight in America, if not the largest example and racism played a large role in that flight, even if not an exclusive role. Thus, there is a vested interest who needs to keep hammering the corruption and incompetence angle to mask the the real culprit in Detroit demise, which has been white folks.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:06 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Detroit just happens to be a city whose finances are under a microscope and whose issues of corruption and mismanagement, to the degree that they have manifested, gets highlighted in the media. The same thing goes on in other cities, to one degree or another, but simply never get exposed because people and institutions are not looking to prove a preexisting belief about those cities.

We need to be clear about what the motives are of many. Detroit is the largest majority black city in America. It is also, therefore, a city that has been run by democrats for decades. Thus, you have a segment of the American populous, that certain media outlets represent, that want to highlight Detroit's problems and decline as symbol of the inferiority of black people/leadership and liberal ideology. Thus, its important that people understand the symbolic importance of Detroit to the propaganda of racist and or those on the political right and media outlets, like Fox News and popular personalities, like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly.

Its also important to understand the "movement" of like minds in America that seeks to divorce action, from reaction, when it comes to racism. The narrative in America is that racism had no impact or consequences, and if it did, the impact does not transcend time, but is exclusive to ONLY the moment the act of racism manifested. If racism was a "rape" committed by a person with AIDS, racism would not be, according to the narrative, the cause of the victim have Aids or passing on aids to their offspring, because racism does not transcend time in its impact. If racism was a nuclear blast, the only TRUE victims would be those that died the moment of the explosion and not those whose suffered from the lingering radiation and the mutations caused to subsequent generations, relative to others. The narrative is that racism has been without consequences and has nothing to do with current realities, despite the fact that everything evolves into what it is and the history of America has been a racist one.

That having been said, the role that racism has played in Detroit Decline is not in the narrative, when in fact, the behavior of WHITES is the single largest contributing factor in the decline of Detroit. The city used to have ~ 1.6 million whites, in 1950. Thus, Detroit's White population declined by over 1.5 million people since the cities "Hay Day". Whites have traditionally enjoyed 10 times the wealth and over 1 1/2 times the income, per capita relative to blacks. It does not take a rocket scientist or a PHD in mathematics to figure out the financial impact of the loss of that many whites and not having that population replaced by anyone, leaving the city with less than half its peak population, dominated by a much poorer black demographic, on the cities finances. its one of the largest examples of the impact of white flight in America, if not the largest example and racism played a large role in that flight, even if not an exclusive role. Thus, there is a vested interest who needs to keep hammering the corruption and incompetence angle to mask the the real culprit in Detroit demise, which has been white folks.
I see. When it finally becomes an all black society, the problem is whitely again. Yeah its tough to be black, but I just don't see how whitely can win since whitely done something wrong whether whitely is leaving or going.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Oh how precious is Detroit. Its fits so many soap boxes and narratives to prove anything. You'll be using your home town some day , all you partisan spin doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies