Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

From the link - which SourD should probably have read before going into full-on spittle rage:

Quote:
In California, the annual out-of-pocket limit for an individual is $6,400, although it can be as low as $2,250 for low-income people. Once that limit is reached, insurance pays 100 percent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
CALIFORNIA.. Did you read that??? CALIFORNIA is going to charge people 2k a month for certain medications. Is that all of a sudden a red state? LMAO!
I bet you feel like Mr. Silly now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
There is no cure for cancer of MS. Under Obamacare you will get the "red pill" and told to go home and die.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
There is no cure for cancer of MS. Under Obamacare you will get the "red pill" and told to go home and die.
Please tell use before you or anyone you know takes the red pill. I'd like to watch that in action.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
Considering the cost for MS drugs is prohibitively expensive without insurance (mine is 48k per year) having a cut in price via the ACA, while not cheap, is at least a step in the right direction. The new MS drug about to be released is 54k per year. The cost of these drugs needs to be addressed.
Okay folks get a grip. I actually am dealing with this right now (spouse has MS and takes one of these new drugs) and I can tell you that nobody pays that much. All these drug companies as far as I know (we've dealt with several) will provide them to anyone, insured or not for about a $10 co-pay. They even make all the arrangements and are quite helpful throughout the whole process. They make their money from insurance (at a much reduced negotiated price) and tax write-offs when they provide drugs to the uninsured.

The expensive and broken part of the health care system in this country is the hospitals and outpatient services, not the drugs. Our major expense is the MRIs. That's where the screws need to be applied.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Please tell use before you or anyone you know takes the red pill. I'd like to watch that in action.

The "red pill" is a painkiller so the person does not suffer while dying.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
True. But there are going to be problems with people falling into an abyss in many red states, where politics is going to prevent the program from working the way it was designed, and as a result, there could be many people who will find themselves with no coverage. I hope they realize who, exactly, is preventing them from receiving the benefits that their fellow Americans in blue states are getting. It's easy to be a political purist until you are the one who is suffering for it.

Then there is the issue funding. Republicans are going to do everything they possibly can to make certain the program is not funded, and then they will be able to turn around and say, "See! It doesn't work!" This is the train wreck scenario Harry Reid was talking about.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Okay folks get a grip. I actually am dealing with this right now (spouse has MS and takes one of these new drugs) and I can tell you that nobody pays that much. All these drug companies as far as I know (we've dealt with several) will provide them to anyone, insured or not for about a $10 co-pay. They even make all the arrangements and are quite helpful throughout the whole process. They make their money from insurance (at a much reduced negotiated price) and tax write-offs when they provide drugs to the uninsured.

The expensive and broken part of the health care system in this country is the hospitals and outpatient services, not the drugs. Our major expense is the MRIs. That's where the screws need to be applied.
The last few years when my husband is admitted to the hospital, they hospital tells me that I need to supply the MS shots. The nurse said they are expensive and I should supply it. I have to fight with them to get it. If I forget to ask if he is getting the shot every day, I find out a few days later that they didn't give him any. They said it is hard to get. Hello, you are the hospital, go get the drug.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
FAIL. This has nothing to do with Obamacare. This is an issue that is ongoing and has been in the news for years.
Actually the government sets the reinbusement rates.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Not surprising considering ACA took away the tax deductible for those who medical expenses exceed $5,000 per year. Rather cruel if you ask me.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
What the heck does this have to do with death panels? LOL

Regardless of the cost of these medications, when you buy a health insurance policy, you have a maximum out of pocket cost a year. If you can't come up with that amount, then you need a different health insurance plan. Most total out of pocket costs are $500-5,000 a year. That is reasonable if you are using the kind of healthcare that requires cancer or these other chronic diseases.

Thanks to "Obamacare," these people do not have to worry about their policy dropping them now that they have expensive diseases. Also, thanks to Obama, they also have an unlimited lifetime amount covered that the insurance will pay. In previous years, most policies capped out at million dollars or less, then people who got these expensive diseases that cost millions of dollars to treat were screwed. This is why most bankruptcies today are due to medical expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies