Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
We can start by teaching children how to critically think and access their natural empathy from the get-go. That's all it takes, except for psychopaths. The problem I see in life and that is apparent on this forum, is that a lot of people have failed to reach Piaget's last stage of cognitive development for some reason. THAT is terrifying. Most teenagers can think in a more cognitively advanced way than many of the adults I encounter!
Those adults must be liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It makes perfect sense. I'm so sorry you can't understand it.
Agreed - you don't even have to be particularly intelligent to comprehend the OP... a threshold some on here apparently still fail to meet.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Religion can be a force for good, and a means of enforcing societal norms. It can also give people something to believe in to assuage the fear of dying and loss of a loved one. The scary part is that once you have subjects accepting something on faith, and believing that merely questioning that belief is evil and punishable by hell, you can get them to accept nearly anything. The biggest danger of religion is how quickly it can be perverted into a force for evil, and how it's followers will do terrible things in it's name. Rather it's torture someone for apostasy, or talking some kid into strapping on a Symtex vest for his 72 virgins, religion has the power to do as much harm as good.

And at it's best, can cause all kinds of neurosis and mental illness as reason, science and rational observation must be ignored in order to accept the teachings of organized religion on faith.
Sure...religion CAN be a force for good.

Problem is, in the annals of human history, its a rarity when it is.

In nearly every unspeakable atrocity in recorded history, religion was either involved or at best, stood silently on the sidelines and did nothing.

Sure, it may give comfort to people for various reasons, but that doesn't mitigate the reality that its a lie and poisonous to teach to children.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

In nearly every unspeakable atrocity in recorded history, religion was either involved or at best, stood silently on the sidelines and did nothing.

Sure, it may give comfort to people for various reasons, but that doesn't mitigate the reality that its a lie and poisonous to teach to children.
The thing is, religion is usually good when it first starts out. Take Christianity for example, the first Christians all chose that religion from others because they realized that the believers of the other ones were hypocrites and only acting in self-interest in the name of religion. However, once you get through the first generation, people who are raised in a religion become complacent. They don't think it through, just accept things at face value. Then, since they never really thought it through, they easily become "cafeteria" type religious followers and just use religion to justify their shortcoming and hate for other people and ideas.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Agreed - you don't even have to be particularly intelligent to comprehend the OP... a threshold some on here apparently still fail to meet.
Yeah, again, people haven't reached Piaget's last level of cognitive development for whatever unknown reason.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Honestly, it isn't just organized religion where that is true. Communism killed far more than religion in at least the last century. However, with communism, "the state" or "collectivism" took the place of a supernatural being in terms of being the tool to enslave men. As many were slaughtered for "the common good" or "the betterment of society" as were for forced conversion to a different religion. And for much the same reason. Reason and rationality were tossed out in return for a irrational belief that personal interests, goals and accomplishments must be sacrificed for either the good of "society" or god. Both were equally evil. Faith or force, both are the enemies of reason. Like most anything, follow the money. Someone was out to gain with either scheme.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
No religion is required for decent, moral behavior. I've been a lifelong atheist, and I've also never had any issues whatsoever treating others in a moral manner. All it takes is the meanest exercise of one's own naturally occurring empathy (unless you're a full-on psychopath) to develop a fully functional moral frame work. I have no desire to be treated poorly or meanly, but rather, I want to be seen as worthy of (and treated with) kindness, respect, empathy, and love, and since other people are human like me, they probably would like to be treated in the same manner. Knowing that, I conduct myself in such as way as to maximize other people's happiness and contentment, while minimizing any potential harm I might cause.

A lot of religious people talk about being moral, (sometimes even absolutely moral!) while at the exact same time treating their fellow humans in the most heinous and cruel ways, treating other people in ways that they themselves would never, ever like to be treated, believing the whole time that they are doing the right thing, never once considering the fact that the objects of their rage are persons just as they are and are capable of suffering. No, as far as many religionists are concerned, all of those "other" people may as well be philosophical zombies. This is not morality; willfully and in the cases of some posters I've seen here, gleefully, causing intense suffering to other sentient beings.

No, it is not moral. It is depraved and an indicator of an extremely sick and unbalanced mind.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
As an atheist, it blows my mind that people think that threat of hell is the only reason to choose moral behavior!

Anyway, all you need is logical thinking and empathy. Period.

I always wonder why it is that atheists seem to believe that people who are not atheists are ruled by the "threat of hell" as being the only reason to choose moral behavior.

It's a far more rich and deeply personal experience than some bland statement such as a "threat of hell," as the only motivating factor in practicing a spiritual life. Most spiritual people I know have an awareness about them that one can sense is going to carry them on, beyond this world.

The practice of meditation may awaken those who are unaware. Give it a try! Logical thinking and empathy are only the beginning.

best,
toodie

Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I always wonder why it is that atheists seem to believe that people who are not atheists are ruled by the "threat of hell" as being the only reason to choose moral behavior.

It's a far more rich and deeply personal experience than some bland statement such as a "threat of hell," as the only motivating factor in practicing a spiritual life. Most spiritual people I know have an awareness about them that one can sense is going to carry them on, beyond this world.

The practice of meditation may awaken those who are unaware. Give it a try! Logical thinking and empathy are only the beginning.

best,
toodie
I meditate daily, thank you. Did you know that atheists can do that too?

This talk about hell as the reason for morality is in response to Christians who say that is the driving force for their moral choices. Did you read the OP?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
An intellectually honest Athiest will, simply, never use the word "moral"...the ones who want to have a stronghold on context will but they will also tell you there is nothing inherent about their own value system because they simply cannot construct an argument without subjectivity.

It's why I am not an Athiest but an Agnostic...I can say in 100% confidence that I don't know if there is a GOD like we are prescribed by the Bible...and I really don't care..and my values are just that, mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies