Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
What does religion have to do with blue laws?
Did you really just ask that?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Do you really think a majority of Americans opposes Sunday shopping?
Yes. Bergen County residents are one example. Ask any retail worker, they would all love getting Sundays off.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
What does religion have to do with blue laws?
Everything.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Everything.
Tell me how. If it had, most of America would be shut down on Sundays, as will the Philippines and other religious nations like Poland, etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Tell me how.
Because, for the ten-billionth time, the U.S. is a secular republic. We have no state religion. Nor will we ever.

Blue laws like the ones in New Jersey are an anachronism.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Because, for the ten-billionth time, the U.S. is a secular republic. We have no state religion. Nor will we ever.
And blue laws have what to do with religion?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Nope. Don't like shopping or drinking on Sunday?
Don't shop or drink on Sunday.

My partner only has Sunday off most weeks. When are we supposed to go do anything together?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Why should some politicians in my county seat, or state seat, decide when I can shop? When a employer wants to close? This kind of interference from the goverment is the worst kind of interference against the hallmarks of what made this country great.

Quote:
After visiting, shopping and traveling thru Bergen County, NJ (home to 5 shopping malls and thousands of other businesses right across NYC), I was very jealous and impressed how everything was closed on Sundays except restaurants, grocery stores & entertainment places, and they had it since 1950s voted by residents numerous times thru referendum to keep them.

- A guaranteed (weekend) day of rest/break for workers, small business owners', and local residents.
1) if customers don't want to shop. . .they wont' go. If there are no customers, business won't be open. My guess Bergen has a bunch of rich hipsters that push this legislation. . and most people aren't vocal, just annoyed.

- No competition, especially from big box stores that forces many employees to work, and now small businesses must remain open.
as always, this is a choice that should be between the customer and business. Why do you have the right to tell me when i'm open? when I can't shop?

- No horrible traffic congestion.
Yeah, force me to go shopping Monday-Friday after work. . .no congestion. seriously? Now I have to shop during the worst traffic periods

- Quiet and Peaceful Sundays.
except for families who now have to run around to different counties to get groceries because you closed their stores.

- Lower crime rate, pollution, and litter in our towns and streets.
Yes, lack of economic activity and growth = lower pollution and litter. hmm, lets just close all business. I don't buy lower crime rate.

- Better infrastructure (+ less money needed to fix our roads and highways)
people still shop? WTF. you are just forcing them to shop on another day. You don't SAVE a trip. . unless the store being closed means I go to AMAZON PRIME which is open 24x7.

- Higher Quality of life & Lower unemployment rate (Just like some nations with similar or stricter blue laws, such as Germany, Austria, Norway and Switzerland)
Heh, sure. Not once I buy everything I need from Amazon. . closed suckers

- Americans are known for unfortunately working very long hours with few or no days off, unlike other western nations. It is selfish, bad, and dangerous for ourselves and society.
yeah, we actually do pretty good for ourselves.

Bergen County towns (especially Paramus) still make more money in annual retail than any other town and place in the nation all in 6 days.
Seriously? do you just make this stuff up? Plus. . if a town is already rich/busy. . .a day off isn/'t going to hurt them as much as a town not as rich. This statement just means the town is rich.

Malls and stores are open for very long hours anyway (most until 9 - 10 pm Mon - Sat), and it is more than enough. Family time is more important!
I decide family time, not you

PS: U.S. Supreme Court have held any blue law as constitutional due to secular reason (every time it has been taking to court).

the supreme court only means that they are probably wrong, again. Their track record is crap (Citizen united anyone?)

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
And blue laws have what to do with religion?
For a self-proclaimed Christian, you seem rather ignorant of the Ten Commandments. Especially the fourth one.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Why should some politicians in my county seat, or state seat, decide when I can shop? When a employer wants to close? This kind of interference from the goverment is the worst kind of interference against the hallmarks of what made this country great.
To look at it another way: what if some atheist-dominated government somewhere were to decide that Chik-Fil-A should be forced to operate on Sundays?

Wouldn't that be just as wrong as forcing all businesses to close on Sundays?

Last edited by pch1013; 05-14-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies