U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 AM

33,689 posts, read 9,527,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
???
I watch NO US television whatsoever.

What's this guy, if not an actor:

Robbie Parker Fake Actor Sandy Hook Shooting - YouTube

And there were many more examples, and at the Boston Bombings too.
Like this guy, who faked his missing limbs:
Oh, it is even worse than I thought, you watch too much YouTube. Try watching some cat videos instead, it will break up the crappy conspiracy garbage you are always watching.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM

1,330 posts, read 282,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh, it is even worse than I thought, you watch too much YouTube. Try watching some cat videos instead, it will break up the crappy conspiracy garbage you are always watching.
Why not watch it, and make an intelligent comment about it,
rather than spouting unsubstantiated nonsense ?

What I am suggesting is something called: Debate and Discussion.
Which sadly seem to be lost arts in polarized America these days.

But some of the older folk, we have not forgotten how that works. You might want to learn from us, while there is still time.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 AM

33,689 posts, read 9,527,720 times
Quote:
Why not watch it, and make an intelligent comment about it,
rather than spouting unsubstantiated nonsense ?

What I am suggesting is something called: Debate and Discussion.
Which sadly seem to be lost arts in polarized America these days.

But some of the older folk, we have not forgotten how that works. You might want to learn from us, while there is still time.
No thanks, I have seen plenty of garbage on YouTube, I prefer to get my news from reality rather than get it from some crackpan guy in his basement.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,798,195 times
I spent most of that Friday at work or out in the park in Boston. The only people around were tourists, derelicts and cops. It was strange by peaceful. I think the lockdown was appropriate considering the information available. It was really a case of better to be safe than sorry. I am not concerned either with terrorist bombings or a police state. Both are very unlikely and I have more pressing things to worry about.

The America you knew disappeared under an unrelenting assault by the investors and business managers to destroy the workers prosperity of the 1950's to 1970's. The discontent and economic fear created has made us extremely vulnerable to these attacks. Everyone is worried about making the money last until the next paycheck and that fear destroys any sense of security Americans once had. That gets converted to raw fear when some crazy blows up people for any reason what so ever.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM

12,066 posts, read 10,884,913 times
Default We're in transition post-Bush

We are in a POST-BUSH society. President Obama represents the beginning of the end of the Conservative Party and they have become pouting, immature crybabies. Bush made the world and this country a far more dangerous place to be. He failed miserably abroad, and sent every domestic category into CRISIS mode, while running up record deficits. He broke damn near everything. When this President was elected, Republicans in Congress suddenly shifted from being warmongers and ignoring the domestic agenda and record deficit they created to worrying about reducing the deficit, protecting the rich, and obstructing the President. They are willing to cut like never before, jeopardizing the security, jobs, health, and welfare of people in this country.

We don't want to go back to a time when Conservatives ruled. This transition time is going to be a rough one, but by the time it's over, we will have sanitized this country of the cancer that is the Republican ideology. It will be a far better place to be than it ever has been once their influence has been greatly diminished.

The demographics are changing, which doesn't bode well for the Republican party. President Obama's utter annihilation of Romney was an example of what's to come. Of course, what's NOT good for the Republican party, is great for the nation.

The America you once knew is changing for the better. President Obama here through 2016, then another Democrat will take over for two terms through 2024. If Pubs haven't completely recreated themselves to join us in modern times, they won't ever be a factor again, certainly not within the next 15 years.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM

12,568 posts, read 3,691,127 times
Quote:
Okay.
Why do the citizens tolerate that, with so few complaints ?

A) The media has a lot to do with it. People unfortunately can't think for themselves anymore and buy into the BS that the MSM spoon feeds them instead of looking at things from all angles before making that decision.
B) With all of the smack talking back and forth, politics has resorted to that of watching a sporting event. HOOORAAAAAAAYYYY GO TEAM!
C) People are misled to believe that they have to vote "for the lesser of two evils" from one of the two corrupt parties, because they think that a vote for someone from another party is a wasted vote, and an automatic vote for the other side.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

13,007 posts, read 6,207,431 times
Quote:
What became of the America I once knew ?

I was shocked when I saw this sort of image in the News of the Boston bombings:

Where was the protest against Tanks rolling down the Streets?
Got a pic of tanks rolling down the streets?

I do.

And it's a whole lot closer to you.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM

12,568 posts, read 3,691,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Democratic Party.

Come on Harrier!!!! Both parties have become corrupt, infested with the cancer of progressivism, and are full of s***! Let's at least be honest here.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

9,144 posts, read 3,014,495 times

ah the good ol days weren't all that good.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM

8,990 posts, read 4,793,870 times
Quote:
What in heavens name are you talking about?
That's even more Off Topic than I could have imagined.
Honestly, there's a rich vein of ideas to mine on this thread already, you don't need to wander so very far afield. (Please !)
I think my post was right on topic. Your OP asks the question, "what ever happened to the America we once knew"? I was pointing out that almost everyone who asks this question looks at the USA through rose coloured glasses at best. Personally I don't like the direction our countries are headed in many spheres but there were many many things in the past that were far worse than they are today.

Looking backwards is an exercise in futility. Attempting to apply yesterday's norms to today's realities is just such a self defeating attitude that it guarantees failure.

My comment about locking up the Japanese Americans because of Pearl Harbour was an illustration of just how silly it is to look backwards thinking we were so much better in the old days. If things were the same today as they were then, GW Bush would have rounded up all Muslim Americans and incarcerated them. You know, there are a fringe of Americans who think that would be a good idea. Those who do think that are always the same folks who think the country used to be sooo much better than today.

Last edited by lucknow; 05-15-2013 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies