Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You said, if it is good for business, it's good for people.

Well slavery is good for business, but it's not good for people.
Where do you get this junk from? Slavery is not good for business. As a matter of fact it hasn't even been tried in the last 150 years in the US business world. If a company decided to try it, nobody would buy their stuff, because they fundamentally would disagree with them. Slavery would be a disaster for ANY business. Seriously the road you libs travel down must be lacking oxygen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Neo Progs always tell us how smart and enlightened they are, yet the 11 WORST states in the country for business are run by libs and the best are republican. Discuss.

2013 Best & Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine
So a survey of 736 CEO(s) . . as a marketer, that seems . . .low.
- demographic of ceo
-company size
-political leaning
-distribution

They are trying a LITTLE hard to give Texas the edge (i.e. adjusting cost of living into GDP). Yet Texas isn't doing really that much better than California on GDP growth. California is growing slightly slower but has a much bigger GDP.

Plus . . don't confuse correlation (politics) with causation. I haven't seen either party do anything more than be at the whim of an existing trend.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Help me understand your pov. I live in Greenville, SC. BMW, Michellin, and GE have their engeneering facilities hq'd here. They bring in a ton of high paying jobs and add to the culture. Why is it wrong to give these compnaies tax incentives?

P.S. Can you provide the link to you outrage of Obama giving over 1 billion $'s in "corporate welfare" to Solyndra? Thanks
See here is the thing, liberals dont like corporate tax breaks because to them it robs the state of tax money they can use to create clients of the state.

employment is bad because it robs the state of clients who no longer need government...

Liberals do not see the money businesses provide to employees as real or important.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So a survey of 736 CEO(s) . . as a marketer, that seems . . .low.
- demographic of ceo
-company size
-political leaning
-distribution

They are trying a LITTLE hard to give Texas the edge (i.e. adjusting cost of living into GDP). Yet Texas isn't doing really that much better than California on GDP growth. California is growing slightly slower but has a much bigger GDP.

Plus . . don't confuse correlation (politics) with causation. I haven't seen either party do anything more than be at the whim of an existing trend.
of course you havent! you are a liberal and right now liberals are loosing bigtime!

good grief.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
of course you haven't! you are a liberal and right now liberals are loosing bigtime!

good grief.
I'm a libertarian. Not everyone against your lack of understanding of market research, qualitative research, and understanding surveys. . .is a liberal.

I'm only liberal when it comes to social issues. I'm just pointing out the weakness of this ranking, and items that may color the research. I wouldn't think asking CEOs is the way to go here. . if you want to understand good for business/vs bad.

Some things I think may be more relevant
1) growth in GDP per capita
2) innovation growth. . what percentage of GDP growth driven by companies less than 10 years old? 20 years old

As far as politicians. . .I think any long-term research shows very little correlation between parties in power and the economy. Such work must be looked at over a long period (20-30years) to be effective.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I'm a libertarian. Not everyone against your lack of understanding of market research, qualitative research, and understanding surveys. . .is a liberal.

I'm only liberal when it comes to social issues.

and you have me a big fat bit of ocean front property in North Dakota for sale too right?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
and you have me a big fat bit of ocean front property in North Dakota for sale too right?
Your Strawman attacks do not do anything to further any logic statement you have made. Though I'm sure ANYONE who points out a issue with your reasoning is part of the "evil" other party is point of standard in your mind.

It is a little sad that you aren't interested in objective concerns about the data, and why you should be careful on making any assumptions (pro or negative) versus other party. I didn't even disagree with the findings per se, i just say that there isn't enough data here (or understanding of the research) to make any reliable conclusion.

The issue here is an issue with statics and data and research. What is correlated what is causation? Do republicans (or democrats) create social mobility, jobs, etc. . . Based on what I've seen. . .Economic activity is too complex and diverse in the united states for a single party to have a significant impact. Often economics DRIVES changes in parties. . .

its like the fact that when your own the cover of sports illustrated your likely to have a "curse" and go downhill. Yet the two items aren't actually linked.

If you switch parties on the bottom of a recession, than the other party will see the growth regardless of policy.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Neo Progs always tell us how smart and enlightened they are, yet the 11 WORST states in the country for business are run by libs and the best are republican. Discuss.

2013 Best & Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

No surprise at all. I'd like to see Tn move up from fourth, but combined with Nashville ranking 2nd in job growth of all large metropolitan regions, it is quite acceptable.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
LOL.

So looking at the list I see New York at 49. Yet when I watch TV of late, I see comercials from the state of New York about how "open for business" they are. Guess what their selling points are?

Lower Taxes
Perhaps they should advertise as lower taxes than under that other Cuomo.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
For not being businesses friendly the bottom four sure have a lot of businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies