Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times

Advertisements

Teacher, Boy Believed to Be on the Run - AOL News

as a 27-year-old, i taught male students who were 17 and 18 years old and looked like grown men. some of them flirted with me. i told them i didn't engage in adult communication with children. when they protested that they weren't children, i replied, "you are to me," and promptly changed the subject. not a single one ever persisted beyond that retort. it really was that easy to draw the line, paint it red, and not cross it-- even if a few man-child egos were bruised in the process. the adult has control in these situations, and the adult must maintain appropriate boundaries at all times. PERIOD.

(when they catch her ass, she needs to be put UNDER the jail.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post

as a 27-year-old, i taught male students who were 17 and 18 years old and looked like grown men. some of them flirted with me. i told them i didn't engage in adult communication with children. when they protested that they weren't children, i replied, "you are to me," and promptly changed the subject. not a single one ever persisted beyond that retort. it really was that easy to draw the line, paint it red, and not cross it-- even if a few man-child egos were bruised in the process. the adult has control in these situations, and the adult must maintain appropriate boundaries at all times. PERIOD.

You know, I remember saying to myself when that teacher from Tennessee (the former model, or was it beauty queen?) was found guilty of having sex with one of her students that she needed the same penalty a male would get for having sex with one of his students. She got very little time, and quite honestly, I'm not surprised to see this sort of thing happen.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 AM

253 posts, read 1,106,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post

I absolutely agree with you. I too was a HS teacher and had students flirt with me. Some of them were over 18 in fact but to me it does not matter. I still considered those HS students children. As a teacher you have a responsibility to your students. You are there to teach nurture & guide them.I was an authority figure & those lines should never be crossed. It is the adults responsiblity to make this clear to the students. I also was a middle school teacher in a really awful school where a child grabbed my breasts. I made a very big deal of this matter one reason being that this was sexual assault & another reason being that you never want anything to become misconstrued (sp)in a child's mind. I have know use for pedophiles whether they are male or female. They all deserve harsh punishments.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
If she's hot they'll probably let it go unpunished.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:53 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,326 times
As a parent of a senior in high school, I can't imagaine my son flirting with an adult. I think the problem with this starts in the home. If the student is raised in a home where women are objectified, than the boys' flirtation is probably encouraged by the parents.

Last edited by martinez4; 11-02-2007 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: removed sentence

Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You know, I remember saying to myself when that teacher from Tennessee (the former model, or was it beauty queen?) was found guilty of having sex with one of her students that she needed the same penalty a male would get for having sex with one of his students. She got very little time, and quite honestly, I'm not surprised to see this sort of thing happen.
it has been happening far too frequently all over the country, and there are stories that don't make the national news for whatever reason. just last week i heard about twin sisters in the IE who were arrested nearly a year ago because one of them was having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old female student, and the other conspired to enable the relationship to continue in violation of a restraining order obtained by the girl's father. they were not formally charged until last month, and although the school district where they worked at the time of their arrests placed them on leave and did not renew their contracts, both were able to secure teaching jobs at middle schools in another school district this fall. how's that for scary?

Lake Elsinore teacher charged in sex case | Wildomar | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/localnews/wildomar/stories/PE_News_Local_S_twins11.3e41c5f.html - broken link)

Local News: Adelanto teacher charged with sexually abusing a minor | school, charged, grohosky - Victorville Daily Press

Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I think the female teachers should be treated just like the male teachers in cases like these.....
This teacher needs to be horse whipped!!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I think the female teachers should be treated just like the male teachers in cases like these.....
Agreed......the punsihment should be the same in all cases. Teachers having any sexual conduct with students/minors should lose their credentials....cut and dry.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
If she's hot they'll probably let it go unpunished.
not this time. kidnapping is taken much more seriously than adult women having sex with adolescent boys.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
two male teachers at a high school where i worked married former students shortly after the girls graduated. both claimed that the relationships began after the girls turned 18, and with the approval of their parents. the former assertion, i don't believe for a minute, but the latter is sadly true. in one case, the teacher left to work in another district after "not getting along" with the principal. the other is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies