Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 19 44.19%
Meh, don't really care 9 20.93%
No 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Who is comparing gay marriage to slavery? Oh yeah, NO ONE. It's civil rights that are being referenced, not compared. But some people can't see through their own hate to get that. Sad.
Hate and hater are now very fashionable internet terms. Tossing in the word "sad" has no effect what so ever. The fact is in the "normal" world people still have the bench mark of normal use as a point of reference. The fact is the amount of "normal" black people in the world is huge in comparison to those of fleeting sexuality or so-called non-traditional sexual preference. Civil rights ? People practicing homosexuality have always had civil rights. The conflict began when homosexuals demanded more than civil rights...when they demanded to be classed as the norm...they are not the majority and will never be the norm....the majority is the norm.

People are different and we will always have discrimination because of those differences. Discrimination can be warded off by gays - all they have to do is not ACT gay...problem solved...A poor black person can not act not black.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, they are fighting for their mental disease, or birth defect, or whatever you want to call it, to be called as normal as anything else. Sorry, you may be a person, yes, but you're about as normal a person as someone with Down Syndrome or dwarfism or someone born with webbed feet. You're still a person with feelings, but you deviate from the biologic norm, ergo, mental/birth defect. Big difference. Being born black is not some genetic disorder, this is assuming people are born gay, otherwise it's a mental deficiency. Sorry, but no other way to put it.
See my response above. Can ANYONE discuss this issue intelligently from the opposing side? No? There might be a reason for that.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3
I'm not even black and it drives me crazy when people do this.
Why does it bother you???

THE TWO DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS CANNOT BE COMPARED!!!!

We are living in a disgusting hole now compared to then!!!!! (A much better time)

Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If I were a black heterosexual male and there was clear records on how my father was abused by whites or how my grandfather was forced to work for next to nothing and my great grandfather was stuck in the torment of slavery. while his mate was being raped daily by the master..and some lefty liberal compared my family history to someone making fun of him for being a girly man...I would be insulted and I could never see the parallel...because there is none!

What people do in their bedrooms is a totally different thing than picking cotton and feeling the pain of a whip on your back. There is a huge difference between being a slave and being someone who;s FEELINGS are hurt.
It is not about hurt feelings. it is about being denied the same rights because we are gay. Why do people think one has to suffer pain and humiliation to deserve the same basic civil rights and the bottom line is that civil rights belong to everyone, gay, straight, black or white. And gays marched along side of the black people when they were fighting for the rights they deserved, yet we did not get those equal rights. Any discrimination against any group in the USA is wrong and is a denial of full equal civil rights.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Hate and hater are now very fashionable internet terms. Tossing in the word "sad" has no effect what so ever. The fact is in the "normal" world people still have the bench mark of normal use as a point of reference. The fact is the amount of "normal" black people in the world is huge in comparison to those of fleeting sexuality or so-called non-traditional sexual preference. Civil rights ? People practicing homosexuality have always had civil rights. The conflict began when homosexuals demanded more than civil rights...when they demanded to be classed as the norm...they are not the majority and will never be the norm....the majority is the norm.

People are different and we will always have discrimination because of those differences. Discrimination can be warded off by gays - all they have to do is not ACT gay...problem solved...A poor black person can not act not black.
So only blacks are discriminated against? So discrimination is okay of the discriminated party can hide the offending characteristic? I won't address the rest of your post, as its emotional and biased drivel that is off topic.

Again, I ask if anyone from the opposing side knows how to intelligently argue their point? College must not be a strong point for the antigays or something.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My sister did not get pregnant a single time as a result of sexual intercourse and yet she was pregnant three times. A woman being pregnant broadcasts that a woman is pregnant, the sex part is your conclusion. I can't alter my skin color, science hasn't figured out how to do that yet. Lord knows Michael Jackson tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
You just made zero sense and even slightly argued against your own position! Next! It would be nice to have intelligent discussions/arguments on this board.
My point was, and remains, you can not choose to keep your race private, however you can choose to keep your sexual orientation private. No one is ever going to look at me and confuse me with any race other than black - no one. Since my birth everyone who has ever laid eyes on me knows I am black - not thinks I might be black - knows it. I can not say, "Hmm that guy at the grocery treats all black people like pariahs and throws their bread around like it is made of bricks, so I just won't act black and he won't squish my bread on purpose". On the other hand, the only way anyone actually KNOWS a person's sexual orientation is if they tell them. Sure they may carry themselves in a way that makes people THINK they know their orientation, but they only are positive if told.

You know, I've been accused of being an Oreo or an Uncle Tom on occasions, because I don't act black enough to suit some people, but if I thought of myself as a white person I can't change my birth certificate, because no matter what I do or what I think or what I feel, I am a black person. (And for the record, I have no desire to be any race but my own, I am merely saying this to make a point.) Race involves NO choice. Sexual orientation is more comparable to religion, something that can cause people to treat others unfairly, but which can be hidden and depends on self disclosure by the individual.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
The matter is all about presentation. Why has a culture based in sexual preference have a culture anyway? Why is the blatant display of homosexuality so forcefully fashionable? Why has a gay dialect developed where a lot of gays all sound the same? Why if the prefer the same sex do they have to make an issue out of it? Why can't they keep their sexuality to themselves? What harm would it do if gays blended into society and ACTED and presented themselves as straight? Blacks who are successful have blended into white society...those that have not stick to that stupid black dialect...the flaunting of insecure black pride..Gays should take a lesson from blacks who have adjusted and fit in...and are educated...No one wants to see a man prance about mimicing a woman..because they are NOT female...lets get some realism going here.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My point was, and remains, you can not choose to keep your race private, however you can choose to keep your sexual orientation private. No one is ever going to look at me and confuse me with any race other than black - no one. Since my birth everyone who has ever laid eyes on me knows I am black - not thinks I might be black - knows it. I can not say, "Hmm that guy at the grocery treats all black people like pariahs and throws their bread around like it is made of bricks, so I just won't act black and he won't squish my bread on purpose". On the other hand, the only way anyone actually KNOWS a person's sexual orientation is if they tell them. Sure they may carry themselves in a way that makes people THINK they know their orientation, but they only are positive if told.

You know, I've been accused of being an Oreo or an Uncle Tom on occasions, because I don't act black enough to suit some people, but if I thought of myself as a white person I can't change my birth certificate, because no matter what I do or what I think or what I feel, I am a black person. (And for the record, I have no desire to be any race but my own, I am merely saying this to make a point.) Race involves NO choice. Sexual orientation is more comparable to religion, something that can cause people to treat others unfairly, but which can be hidden and depends on self disclosure by the individual.
Okay. So you would be satisfied with gay rights being equated to Jewish Civil Rights? Interesting concept.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They certainly do not compare. Black people fought to be treated as human beings and not property, then to be educated, to own properties and businesses, to eat, sleep, drink, and travel or live where they wanted. Their struggle for equality has lasted for centuries and continues to this day. Gays on the other hand have all the benefits and rights of anyone else in the US but have struggled to obtain social, and now legal, acceptance of a deviant and unnatural lifestyle. The black struggle was epic and the gay struggle is trivial in comparison.
It is not deviant nor is it unnatural and it is not a lifestyle. What I find deviant is the religious people thinking they can force their beliefs down everyones throats and pass laws to back it. Homosexuals can still be denied housing, employment, we cannot travel where we want without worry of persecution and our struggle for acceptance and tolerance from the majority goes way back before black people were enslaved in the USA.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The matter is all about presentation. Why has a culture based in sexual preference have a culture anyway? Why is the blatant display of homosexuality so forcefully fashionable? Why has a gay dialect developed where a lot of gays all sound the same? Why if the prefer the same sex do they have to make an issue out of it? Why can't they keep their sexuality to themselves? What harm would it do if gays blended into society and ACTED and presented themselves as straight? Blacks who are successful have blended into white society...those that have not stick to that stupid black dialect...the flaunting of insecure black pride..Gays should take a lesson from blacks who have adjusted and fit in...and are educated...No one wants to see a man prance about mimicing a woman..because they are NOT female...lets get some realism going here.
Most gay men don't prance around like women. I can't tell what your argument is anymore. You are all over the place. I didn't realize the thread was about subcultures or people bowing to your version of normal?

Fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies