Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to these bullies?
The sentence was fair and I hope they are forgiven and change 10 26.32%
They should go to prison 11 28.95%
They should get the death penalty 2 5.26%
They just be shunned from society as monsters 6 15.79%
Other/undecided 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

kayla narey apologized for what she did to phoebe prince - YouTube

I'm not exactly sure what they did aside from gang up and bully that poor girl, but a lot of people seem to think they deserve prison time or even the death penalty! It amazes me how people can completely switch off their human empathy for people who have committed a crime! It's kind of scary honestly. I actually kind of feel bad for the girl who's crying, I never like being yelled at or when people are mad at me and she's going to live in fear the rest of her life.

Personally I think the hate and the shame and hopefully the guilt they will experience is punishment enough. I think that punishment is mostly a sadistic rite and there isn't anything corrective you could do to better these kids. The community service sentence probably wasn't a good idea since they might abuse the people they're serving and the public will dismiss it as a "slap on the wrist" anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Shunning. The should be shunned. Including having their citizenship revoked for the most egregious cases.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
The victim's mom is fine with what they got. Honestly, in a case like this that's probably the only thing you can hope for.

What a tragedy.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I agree the guilt and shame will be punishment (if they are capable of feeling genuine guilt) and if they are remorseful and start treating people with decency than we can leave it at that. Yes, a small part of me would wish some sort of revenge on them, maybe not prison, but maybe for someone to 'teach them a lesson' so they know how it feels.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The victim's mom is fine with what they got. Honestly, in a case like this that's probably the only thing you can hope for.

What a tragedy.
I agree. I don't think putting them in prison would really help at all.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Bullies have a reason for being what they are, some kind of warped self image that needs attention very soon.
I think they should have to see what the end result of bullying can be, how miserable they make the victims and that it can/does lead to teen suicide. There's plenty of stories and videos available from kids that bullying destroyed out there that they should have to watch.
I also think they should have to face their victims to hear/see upfront and personal how it hurt them.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Was someone physically harmed?
Were there bruises and blood?

Words can be very hurtful. If they are untrue, we now have slander, libel, and character assassination laws.
We have always had "bullies" we will have them all through life. It is up to you as a parent, to teach your kid how to handle and how not to be a bully.

My dad taught me how to handle a tough guy picking on me. It always worked. Never failed.

I too taught my daughter how to handle bullies. Not until her freshman year of high school did she have to put it to the test. An upper classman told my daughter she was going to beat her ass, in class. As they left class, my daughter hears from behind her, "I told you I was going to beat your ass".

My daughter turned around and clocked her. Dropped her like a box of rocks. Turned around and went to her next class.
The blanket was thrown and my daughter was the bad guy.

I knew what was going on between these two, as my daughter had told me all about it weeks before that this girl was bugging her, over friend association. I had to go to the juvenile courts over it, where it all came out in the wash and my daughter had all assault charges dropped. But it should have never went there. It should have all been handled in the principals office.

Oh, and that girl does not even look at my daughter. The word got around, don't mess with that little blonde freshman chick.... No more bullying.

The school she attends, a white girl is a minority and the hispanics rule the roost and use racism daily.
My daughters name at school is, "hey white girl"

Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
My son was being bullied, he hesitated to strike the other kid because he had perfect
attendance K through 5th grade. The school did nothing. I gave him the same advice
my dad gave me. Never start a fight, but don't run either. The kid pushed him, my son
warned him, and was pushed again. My son warned him again, and said if he pushed him
again, he would punch him out. He was pushed again, he clocked him, fight over. Both were suspended.

My son was never bullied again.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Bullies have a reason for being what they are, some kind of warped self image that needs attention very soon.
I think they should have to see what the end result of bullying can be, how miserable they make the victims and that it can/does lead to teen suicide. There's plenty of stories and videos available from kids that bullying destroyed out there that they should have to watch.
I also think they should have to face their victims to hear/see upfront and personal how it hurt them.

Teen suicide from a bully, is a direct reflection on parenting.
Planting the "I'm a victim" in their heads, does no good.
I raise my now 15yo daughter, to never be the victim and have the tools to make all aggressors the victim of their own aggression.

You treat someone as you're treated. No more no less. Respect is earned and never given.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
People who bully are sociopaths. It's one thing to call someone a name or have a regrettable moment or two of taking the upper hand. But to consistently harass and bully someone or someones points to a mental disorder.

Not jail, but counseling and intervention in the bully's home life, should be ordered (it's usually the parents).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies