Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tax wall street
No 13 54.17%
yes 1% or lower 2 8.33%
Yes 1% to 3% 4 16.67%
Yes 3% or higher 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I did though. You want vehicles to mitigate your losses, why is it wrong that I also want that?
What risk? capitalization requirements are in place to deal with insurance companies, maybe you should address the capitalization standards. The government has no right to pick winners and losers. Too big to fail = too big to exist

Quote:
It's like trying to explain things to a brick wall. Transactions are never profitable or counted as a loss. What happens after you make the transaction is but the transaction is simply that.

It's difficult when it seems a person is unclear on the difference in a profit or loss and a transaction.
I should have clarified myself, you pay a tax on the disposal of the asset "if " you had a gain. Same thing with houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
No. Most people put their money in their 401k and let it ride. They do not create many transactions with it.
Do you have a 401K ? Don't you get newsletters that tell you to rebalance at least once per year ?
Do you put money in monthly ? Isn't that monthly contribution used to "BUY" more shares ?

401Ks are not lump sum contributions. They are taken from your paycheck..weekly or biweekly.
That's one or two transactions a month to "purchase" more shares.

So, yes they do create many transactions. And if they have their money invested in several funds that's several transactions per paycheck deposit.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
No. Most people put their money in their 401k and let it ride. They do not create many transactions with it.
The money in the 401k does in fact generate transactions. HUGE volumes of transactions. Most people have the majority of their 401k (and other retirement savings & investment plan) money invested in mutual funds. While we personally don't trade our stocks every day, we should all understand that mutual funds engage in frequent trades to improve their positions. Those improvements are often aimed at getting fractionally better returns. You think that taking a % every time a transaction is conducted isn't going to affect the mutual funds returns, and therefore the retirement assets of millions of ordinary hard working middle class Americans?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you have a 401K ? Don't you get newsletters that tell you to rebalance at least once per year ?
Do you put money in monthly ? Isn't that monthly contribution used to "BUY" more shares ?
There is a lot of discussion when it comes to a transaction tax and I realize that not everyone has followed those discussions. The tax as has been discussed only kicks in after X amount of transactions so if you are doing 3 a month you won't likely see any tax. If you are doing 150 you will.

It also only kicks in after a certain time frame. If you buy stock A and hold it two years, sell it and buy stock B there is no tax. If you buy stock A today, sell it tomorrow or next week buy stock b there would be.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The money in the 401k does in fact generate transactions. HUGE volumes of transactions. Most people have the majority of their 401k (and other retirement savings & investment plan) money invested in mutual funds. While we personally don't trade our stocks every day, we should all understand that mutual funds engage in frequent trades to improve their positions. Those improvements are often aimed at getting fractionally better returns. You think that taking a % every time a transaction is conducted isn't going to affect the mutual funds returns, and therefore the retirement assets of millions of ordinary hard working middle class Americans?
Read above. Yes, I support the idea as long and until we are subsidizing Wall Street or there is any chance of it. What the bail out will end up costing each taxpayer will far outweigh any fractional better return they may see.

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
A transaction tax would help the average investor like 99% of CDers. Most of the transactions on Wall St. these days are phony high frequency traders that are gouging the crap out of the markets and manipulating prices on everything from the oil you pay to run your car to the food you eat on your table. High frequency trading has no place in a legitimate market for investing. It's just another way for Wall St. scumbags to make a quick buck while leaving someone else with the grenade or another way to get the common American scraping by to pay more for food and fuel while these douchebags on wall street make 7 and 8 figure salaries while spending $10,000 a night at the bar.

High-Frequency Trading: Rewarding Shortsighted Profit Seeking | TIME.com

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
When you say transactions do you mean "buying" and "selling" stock? You pay a fee for doing that and that fee when considered income for persons providing the transaction are taxed.. or are you saying paying a sales tax when buying the stock as in buying a vehicle?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
There is a lot of discussion when it comes to a transaction tax and I realize that not everyone has followed those discussions. The tax as has been discussed only kicks in after X amount of transactions so if you are doing 3 a month you won't likely see any tax. If you are doing 150 you will.

It also only kicks in after a certain time frame. If you buy stock A and hold it two years, sell it and buy stock B there is no tax. If you buy stock A today, sell it tomorrow or next week buy stock b there would be.
That's a terribly convoluted way to design a tax code. How would anyone know how many transaction I do. They would have to tax everybody the same all the way down to the guy buying a laundromat.

In your second paragraph you are describing a short term capital gain and we already have that.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
When you say transactions do you mean "buying" and "selling" stock? You pay a fee for doing that and that fee when considered income for persons providing the transaction are taxed.. or are you saying paying a sales tax when buying the stock as in buying a vehicle?
They want a sales tax.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Read above. Yes, I support the idea as long and until we are subsidizing Wall Street or there is any chance of it. What the bail out will end up costing each taxpayer will far outweigh any fractional better return they may see.
The above does not address this issue. I personally will not conduct 150 transactions in a month, or even 15, the mutual funds I hold in my investment accounts certainly will So those mutual funds will have to pay your tax, which means that MY assets will decline in value.

I'm with you on the bail outs. I've always been against the government using our money to fund any failing private business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies