Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Okay, you are using the term "custody" to mean "child support."

"Custody" is actually having the child in your care. A custody agreement details when each parent will have custody of the child.

"Child support" is what one parent pays the other to support the child.
I know the difference, and I did not use "custody" to mean "child support."

If shared custody becomes the norm, then I think we can increase child support payments for the ones who don't want to take care of their children. Which is why I said "I believe the man who sees his child 1 day a week should pay more than today, if custody agreements become more fair. "

Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I know the difference, and I did not use "custody" to mean "child support."

If shared custody becomes the norm, then I think we can increase child support payments for the ones who don't want to take care of their children. Which is why I said "I believe the man who sees his child 1 day a week should pay more than today, if custody agreements become more fair. "
Earlier in this thread you said men almost always lose custody. In the US men almost always win full custody or at least get joint custody when requested, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The reality is that most don't ask or want the responsibility. Figure that out and it will address at least part of these problems.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Apparently it *is* hard for you, since it is mathematically impossible that women are the higher earners in 40% of marriages, but only pay alimony in .4% of divorces, without some external forces.
Someone really ought to explain a venn diagram to this guy.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Apparently it *is* hard for you, since it is mathematically impossible that women are the higher earners in 40% of marriages, but only pay alimony in .4% of divorces, without some external forces.
Since women are the primary custodial parents in 80% of cases it's likely that any women outearning their husbands take on the custodial parent role following divorce. In those cases there would be no reason to pay alimony or at least there would likely be a swap for no child support. My gf recently divorced. Her husband didn't work for 5 years before she filed because he was bipolar (he didn't take care of the kids either since she had to have a nanny). She doesn't pay him alimony, but he doesn't pay child support either. He lives with his parents. I'm sure there a lot variables at play here. With that said, I believe you have your numbers wrong.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,626,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
It is clear that you have no real life experience with these issues, other than what you have "heard."

What support from state programs are you talking about that are available to someone simply because they are a divorced parent with children.
I think this is for another topic, I've issued my argument that child support is another form of alimony under different name because it was supposed to cover portion of expenses that each of the parents should bear. Instead, it's used as another method to extort some bucks. Please stop posting posts that are outright arrogant towards other posters, I've already stated that I've lived on my own, paid rent, had been using public transport, paid all bills and I went outside regularly. No LINK/stamps or any assistance involved, I should say. Total costs were some above 1,000$. See, the court thinks that median cost for an average child is 1,000$ for each parent, ignoring any participation of other parent at all which would increase it further, ignoring public funds etc.

I'd be glad to discuss other things in another topic, so if you plan to start it, just post me a link on PM when you open such thread.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Quote:
The De-Gendering of Divorce: Wives Pay Ex-Husbands Alimony Too | TIME.com

Too bad some states still view alimony as a male vs. female gender issue instead of realizing that it is harmful to *both* sexes.

Currently, men are the alimony payers 96% of the time, which is shocking. How can women be the higher earners in almost 40% of marriages, yet are only 4% of the alimony payers? Couldn't be any bias there, could there?
Only 4 percent? My god lol

Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
I think this is for another topic, I've issued my argument that child support is another form of alimony under different name because it was supposed to cover portion of expenses that each of the parents should bear. Instead, it's used as another method to extort some bucks. Please stop posting posts that are outright arrogant towards other posters, I've already stated that I've lived on my own, paid rent, had been using public transport, paid all bills and I went outside regularly. No LINK/stamps or any assistance involved, I should say. Total costs were some above 1,000$. See, the court thinks that median cost for an average child is 1,000$ for each parent, ignoring any participation of other parent at all which would increase it further, ignoring public funds etc.

I'd be glad to discuss other things in another topic, so if you plan to start it, just post me a link on PM when you open such thread.
I don't need to PM you, I want you to answer my original question about programs you suggest are available to people because they are divorced.

What public funds are you talking about?

Do you have real life experience raising children.

What do you mean about extorting bucks, can you provide documentation of how this occurs in average families affected by divorce, or is this something you've simply "heard".

Last edited by Larkspur123; 05-18-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post

I'm curious about this. What court? And I bet it's going to depend on individual situations. The median child support payment in the US is $3-400/mo. That's going to be a lot for some and peanuts for others. It wouldn't, for example, cover a month's worth of childcare in my neck of the woods let alone living and care expenses. But, in rural where ever it's probably quite a bit.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I don't need to PM you, I want you to answer my original question about programs you suggest are available to people because they are divorced.

What public funds are you talking about?

Do you have real life experience raising children.

What do you mean about extorting bucks, can you provide documentation of how this occurs in average families affected by divorce, or is this something you've simply "heard".
I think he's suggesting that the vast majority of divorced women go on welfare. Don't expect any sources or documentation for this other than a pull it out of my ass citation.

Anyhow...

"Monthly Child Support Payments Average $430 per Month in 2010, Census Bureau Reports" So that's about 5k annually or 10k, taking his argument into account, annually. Has anyone in this thread tried to live on 10K? When I was in college I did it on around 11k for a year or so and it was tough. I didn't have to worry about proper nutrition, new clothes because I was growing, childcare, etc. So, the bizarre argument this person is making just doesn't fly.

Next- the average cost of child care in the US is around 1k/month. For the vast majority of divorced parents who are not on welfare, who must work, childcare is just a fact of life. So, that average child support payment may help with childcare. But, it ends there. I'm sure the non-custodial parent contributes more than the court ordered payment (and we won't discuss that the vast majority don't pay child support at all), but in no way is that going to approach the true costs of caring for another human. Increased rent payment for the extra bedroom, clothing costs, utility costs, food costs, school costs, miscellaneous ad infinitum costs.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think he's suggesting that the vast majority of divorced women go on welfare. Don't expect any sources or documentation for this other than a pull it out of my ass citation.

Anyhow...

"Monthly Child Support Payments Average $430 per Month in 2010, Census Bureau Reports" So that's about 5k annually or 10k, taking his argument into account, annually. Has anyone in this thread tried to live on 10K? When I was in college I did it on around 11k for a year or so and it was tough. I didn't have to worry about proper nutrition, new clothes because I was growing, childcare, etc. So, the bizarre argument this person is making just doesn't fly.

Next- the average cost of child care in the US is around 1k/month. For the vast majority of divorced parents who are not on welfare, who must work, childcare is just a fact of life. So, that average child support payment may help with childcare. But, it ends there. I'm sure the non-custodial parent contributes more than the court ordered payment (and we won't discuss that the vast majority don't pay child support at all), but in no way is that going to approach the true costs of caring for another human. Increased rent payment for the extra bedroom, clothing costs, utility costs, food costs, school costs, miscellaneous ad infinitum costs.

I think that is what he is suggesting also. If that is what he is suggesting though, then it would stand to reason that a divorced woman who is on welfare probably is getting very little child support....he hasn't acknowledged that particular point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies