Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times

Advertisements

Mind rot.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
You guys are so ignorant its not even funny

Business | Army Fighting An Umbrella War -- The Only Line Of Defense Men Have Against Rain Is Raincoat | Seattle Times Newspaper

In the Air Force and Navy, both men and women can use umbrellas. The Marines' policy is the same as the Army's - women, but not men, can use them - but the Marines apparently like it that way.

The Army's prohibition against men carrying umbrellas goes back so far in history that nobody remembers why the rule was issued in the first place.

Date of story
Monday, July 14th, 1997

You left wing kooks now pretending this is now the rule all of a sudden because its Obama should be embarassed. I must congragulate you though, I dont think one of you said its because he's black...

Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You guys are so ignorant its not even funny

Business | Army Fighting An Umbrella War -- The Only Line Of Defense Men Have Against Rain Is Raincoat | Seattle Times Newspaper

In the Air Force and Navy, both men and women can use umbrellas. The Marines' policy is the same as the Army's - women, but not men, can use them - but the Marines apparently like it that way.

The Army's prohibition against men carrying umbrellas goes back so far in history that nobody remembers why the rule was issued in the first place.

Date of story
Friday, May 17, 2013

You left wing kooks now pretending this is now the rule all of a sudden because its Obama should be embarassed. I must congragulate you though, I dont think one of you said its because he's black...
So, the Marine spokesperson lied.

Got it.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, the Marine spokesperson lied.

Got it.
Do you think they went back in time how many decades to change the protocol just to embarass Obama? Big vast conspiracy I guess...

Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Why is this an issue? Oh right, anything to make Obama look bad. This one is the shinny object of the day.

Remember, just follow the shinny object.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to get bent out of shape over this. If someone wasn't holding the umbrella for him, you would complain that he was putting a Marine out of work.

I'm sure it was not the President that ordered the Marine to hold the umbrella, but was someone directly over him. However, I personally would be HONORED to stand in the rain and hold an umbrella over MY PRESIDENT. What an unAmerican thing to say about providing a service to the Commander in Chief.

A Marine ordered to hold an umbrella and it is WINGNUT FURY~!!!!! But beloved Saint Ronald Reagan could order a Marine to illegally sell weapons to Iran and wingnuts will still hold him up as their hero.
I'm not seeing any outrage here, except by the typical Obama defenders, who rage against anything that appears as a slight towards Dear Leader.

All I saw was a couple Marines pointing out a bit of trivia for the rest of us, that it's against protocol and conduct for a male Marine to hold an umbrella while in uniform, whether it's for themselves or someone else. They are the president's personal Marine Corps security guards, not White House servants.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
21 pages on Umbrellagate. Seriously?

I LOVE IT!
Haven't had this much fun since Arugalagate.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:54 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Do you think they went back in time how many decades to change the protocol just to embarass Obama? Big vast conspiracy I guess...
No, as I have repeatedly pointed out, no one changed any protocol.

It is very clearly stated that the uniform can be modified by order of a commanding officer.

May not happen often, but, it can without breach.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, as I have repeatedly pointed out, no one changed any protocol.

It is very clearly stated that the uniform can be modified by order of a commanding officer.

It has always been thus.
Yes, the protocol lists several individuals that can modify the protocol on a case by case situation. The President isnt one of them.

The correct response should have been we modified protocol for the situation, end of story, but thats not what the left wing kooks here are saying.. I've seen numerous of them flip flop multiple times over something that really isnt a big deal in order to proclaim there was no error. My god, its a mistake, I'd have more respect if it would be admitted as such and move on rather than proclaiming its some conspiracy out to just embarass him.

The debate about males holding umbrellas go back at least 2 decades, but somehow its now a new issue to you guys. If it takes over 20 years to catch up with the rest of us, then this would explain why so many are wrong on so many issues.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times
Quote:
I dont need to explain it, the marine does.

The only way I would have to explain it is if you want to believe male marines can use an umbrella anytime they feel like it, but females can only have one provided they follow the established protocol. Do you think women are afforded 2nd class citizenship in regards to using an umbrella? I doubt it.
Guess i should not have said explain, more like ignore since it isn't following your perception of the rules. By your logic that marine in the photo should face discipline. He 99% likely didn't and received kudos for it just like those who have held an umbrella over a grieving widow. It is an honorable thing to do just like holding an umbrella for a visiting head of state. It's a sign of respect yet americans feel showing respect to other nations is a no no yet expect those same nations to show us respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.