U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM

6,828 posts, read 1,798,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
arlington heights illinois? anyway who cares what color your skin is if its a nice safe area ill live there. thats why i hate when people complain about a town or neighborhood not being diverse enough, who cares as long as you and your family can live in peace
Arlington Heights has always been a very white suburb of Chicago. I grew up on the northwest side of Chicago, a very white area in one of the most racially segregated cities in the country. I now live in a much smaller town in northern Illinois that is very racially diverse, and I love it. A great mix of white, black and Hispanic, and everybody gets along fine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 PM

8,824 posts, read 2,965,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well aren't you "stereotyping" now? First how would you know if your neighbor was on "Section 8"? If they can move next door to you they obviously qualify to live in your neighborhood.
Are you fears "race" based or "income" based? I would tend to think both.
The biggest divisions in American society are not race-based anymore. They are class-based. Rich people live with other rich people. Poor people live with other poor people. Poor people have become the class of people everyone is allowed to disparage and loathe. Rich=good. Poor=bad. When it ain't necessarily so.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 PM

22,330 posts, read 17,183,095 times
My observation says people want neighbors of the same income level being their neighbor.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 AM

87 posts, read 35,779 times
I don't mind what color my neighbors are as long as they are quiet and don't have cats. I think diversity is a beautiful thing.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 AM

5,467 posts, read 1,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The biggest divisions in American society are not race-based anymore. They are class-based. Rich people live with other rich people. Poor people live with other poor people. Poor people have become the class of people everyone is allowed to disparage and loathe. Rich=good. Poor=bad. When it ain't necessarily so.
When we were younger we bought a place in neighborhood with mostly older people (who downsized after retiring). They planted flowers and took very good care of their lawns, very nice well mannered people. As they passed on the next thing we knew we had an obnoxious alcoholic to the left of us and a dead beat (don't bother anyone) to the right. Three doors up a black family that for some reason just moved out. Across the street, a single mom with bad kids. Basically it turned into white trash, and fast. We got the hell out and now live in a very nice neighborhood. Beautifully taken care of lawns, flowers, nice neighbors.

Yes it is definitely class based.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 AM

3,814 posts, read 1,804,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I just want hot chicks for neighbors...regardless of race, background, etc.
I'll second that motion...

Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM

7,190 posts, read 1,758,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In the US, there is no secret that neighborhoods are often divided by race.
How many people still prefer living with their own race now?

This is the answer given by people in the world:

[MOD CUT]

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Mail Online
The whole idea behind race is a distortion. It is irrelevant. I know many many many Americans believe that knowing someone's race is vitality important information, but it is not.

You may as well ask do you want to live next door to short people or tall people, or red heads, or people with web feet, or people who graduated from a public university, or people who went to private schools, or Catholics or Mormons, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 AM

500 posts, read 118,846 times
It would depend on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 AM

5,909 posts, read 4,983,387 times
If you are a minority person in a small town I think they draw straws at rotary or Kwanis to see who has to live next door to you, since there is no designated part of town for each minority group.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 AM

10,013 posts, read 8,600,982 times
As long as we share common values with regards to their children's behavior, towards education etc., and maintain their property, we're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies