Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM

219 posts, read 921,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yet I'm told on this board there is no such thing as African-American culture. This is all too perplexing. The woman is a bigot.

First lady bemoans culture of African Americans aspiring to be 'a baller or a rapper' - POLITICO.com
Edward do you ever shut the **** up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
And it's still a few. She knows that as well as I do, and I'm sure that if she was on thus forum, she wouldn't be defending your posts. The next time someone here calls her Moochelle or says something out if line about her, perhaps you will jump to her defense then, but something tells me you won't.
It is not even a few. It is non existent. Seriously do you really think black children think getting an education is acting white?

I ask black people do you know any children that this way, the answer is always no, that they don't personally know any black children who think this, but they are sure they exist, because some black children get teased for acting white and that means that those black children think getting an education is acting white which is a leap that makes no sense whatsoever.

It is an urban legend. I have never ever met a black child and spoke to that child where they said getting an education is acting white.

It is a flat out lie.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,570 times
There's something very simple that tends to get lost in these discussions - there's no shame in being a basketball player or a rapper (or any other sort of musician). Yes, you shouldn't let it neglect your studies, particularly if you want to get into sports (best way to go pro in many of them involves a few years of exploitation by the NCAA, after all), but if you've got a real talent in either of those fields, then you should pursue them as well.

And it's absurd to attack kids for wanting to be either of these. What, you think only black kids want to be rich and famous? You think only black kids are watching celebrity worship shows, going to sites like TMZ, and such?

HOWEVER:

Usually, when you see these sorts of clips, they're quick passages, taken out of context, from a much longer speech which goes over a wide variety of topics, congratulates the graduating students, and so forth. And in this, they're very different from right-wingers who just claim, with no evidence, that black people vote for democrats because "they love handouts" and the like. So no, guts, using a Michelle Obama clip will not help you out.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,403,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Is that a serious question? You really think the way to explain the achievement gap is based on black children think getting an education is acting white?

Are you that....... LOL this is what we have to deal with. To EdwardA it makes all the sense in the world that the black achievement gap is proof of black dysfunction. Is proof of a black racial failing.

Forget different quality of schools, forget inequality, forget history. Forget that black people couldn't vote until the 1960's and really couldn't vote until the 1970's. Nah forget the crappy schools that black people went to decade after decade after decade, none of that matters.

See to EdwardA those things are excuses, what is real to him is that black people are messed up and dysfunctional and need to be fixed. What is real to EdwardA is that the achievement gap is the result of black people thinking getting an education is acting white. SMH.
So kids today are failing because their grandparents couldn't vote in some corners of the country in the 60s? By that logic Israel should be a failed 3rd world country since it was founded by a large number of Holocaust survivors.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,517,982 times
Quote:
LOL so how do you explain the gap in education achievement then?
there's the SES issues. there is the way black children, particularly black boys, are treated and disciplined in schools. there's the influence of popular culture, which is not "black culture". there is the lack of parental involvement which can be devastating to black boys. if black parents do not become "helicopter parents" their boys will be shoved into remedial or even special ed classes needlessly. I have dealt with this first hand and my son is only in the 1st grade. too many black children are treated like they're dumb until they start to believe they are dumb. most black children start out well in school, but their performance declines as they get older. this tells me something about their learning environment.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,522,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Says a graduate of "Beck U."

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
So kids today are failing because their grandparents couldn't vote in some corners of the country in the 60s? By that logic Israel should be a failed 3rd world country since it was founded by a large number of Holocaust survivors.
No, children today are doing better than their parents, you asked about an achievement gap. If you compare black students in the past with black students in the present you see increased test scores across the board for black students.
Higher rates of college attendance.

So black children are doing better than previous generations of black children.

Yet that is not what you referenced and what I responded to you compared black children to white children, and mentioned the achievement gap, that is a different animal.

That is called shifting the focus.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,522,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Excellent post.

Its ridiculous how many kids have their employment opportunities wrecked over a bag of weed.
Last I heard it was illegal. If they took their chances and lost, they deserve it.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
there is the way black children, particularly black boys, are treated and disciplined in schools.... if black parents do not become "helicopter parents" their boys will be shoved into remedial or even special ed classes needlessly. I have dealt with this first hand and my son is only in the 1st grade. too many black children are treated like they're dumb until they start to believe they are dumb. most black children start out well in school, but their performance declines as they get older. this tells me something about their learning environment.
Educators are solid Obama people... as liberal as they come. Do you serious believe that racist teachers are a major factor in black underachievement?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
There's something very simple that tends to get lost in these discussions - there's no shame in being a basketball player or a rapper (or any other sort of musician). Yes, you shouldn't let it neglect your studies, particularly if you want to get into sports (best way to go pro in many of them involves a few years of exploitation by the NCAA, after all), but if you've got a real talent in either of those fields, then you should pursue them as well.

And it's absurd to attack kids for wanting to be either of these. What, you think only black kids want to be rich and famous? You think only black kids are watching celebrity worship shows, going to sites like TMZ, and such?

HOWEVER:

Usually, when you see these sorts of clips, they're quick passages, taken out of context, from a much longer speech which goes over a wide variety of topics, congratulates the graduating students, and so forth. And in this, they're very different from right-wingers who just claim, with no evidence, that black people vote for democrats because "they love handouts" and the like. So no, guts, using a Michelle Obama clip will not help you out.
I respect M. Obama, but what she said in my opinion is a strain of thinking that black people adopted in response to racial oppression that itself is racist.

When I was a child, my grandmother would watch me and, my uncle. She took us everywhere. She also taught me to count, and understand letters and read all before I went to preschool.

Anyway, she had this saying that basically meant she wanted us to behave in public, and she'd say to us boys act your age and not your color.

It wasn't until I was much older that I really thought about what was the inherent message in that statement.

Something is wrong with my skin color that causes me to misbehave.

Sadly, black Americans have absorbed those messages of racial inferiority and it has impacted how we think about ourselves.

Believing that black children think getting an education is acting white is just one manifestation of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies