Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times

Advertisements

They should all aspire to become lawyers and get disbarred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
But she is wrong. The vast majority of Black Americans don't aspire to be rappers or athletes. This is a lie. This idea that black children aren't doing well in school because they all want to be rappers or basketball players is a lie.

She shouldn't repeat such ignorance.
Michelle Obama said "too many" she did not say ALL or even MOST. And she is correct. I have absolutely no issue with a word that she said in her speech.

Again, too quote what she said...

"Today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of 'separate but equal,' when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can’t be bothered," she said.

"Today, instead of walking miles every day to school, they’re sitting on couches for hours, playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they’re fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper," Obama continued. "Right now, one in three African American students are dropping out of high school, only one in five African Americans between the ages of 25 and 29 has gotten a college degree."

But priorities should change, she said, because "getting an education is as important if not more important than it was back when this university was founded."

Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Michelle Obama said "too many" she did not say ALL or even MOST. And she is correct. I have absolutely no issue with a word that she said in her speech.

Again, too quote what she said...

"Today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of 'separate but equal,' when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can’t be bothered," she said.

"Today, instead of walking miles every day to school, they’re sitting on couches for hours, playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they’re fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper," Obama continued. "Right now, one in three African American students are dropping out of high school, only one in five African Americans between the ages of 25 and 29 has gotten a college degree."

But priorities should change, she said, because "getting an education is as important if not more important than it was back when this university was founded."
Ok, so if we use "too many" then we won't be called racist when we post opinions like this ?
You don't like "most" ? How many is too many ? Just shy of "most" or the equivalent of "just a few" ?

If we're PC about it then it's acceptable.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Michelle Obama if she said this is indeed very wrong. The polling on this is very clear and concrete.

Black Americans do not think getting an education is acting white. Black children do not think getting an education is acting white. There is no black culture that says getting an education is acting white. There are no black churches, black political organizations, black elected officials, black business people, etc who will say that getting an education is acting white.

It is a fiction and a fantasy, and sadly many black Americans are blind to this racial sickness. This idea that black people are broken are messed up is deeply ingrained in American society.

Race is not real, there is not black culture in America, we are Americans. I have had discussions with people and I have attempted to get them to explain what they mean by black culture and mostly they mention rap music, or R&B or Jazz, which are American forms of music, playing sports which is American culture, wanting to be a singer, which is American culture. Soul food, which is Southern American culture etc and on and on.

So yes M. Obama is saying something dumb and incorrect about black Americans.
The bold above - many blacks do think that - especially the ones who don't have much hope. I know because I went through this. Inner city schools in DC in the 80's - God forbid a black person speaks halfway decent English and has a vocabulary.

Robert Griffin - DC quarterback - a cornball brother I believe he was called.

You just don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
I must admit I have no clue what a "baller" is.

And I don't wish to know.
Pro Athlete - anything with a ball.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 05-17-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
I really don't think that she said any thing wrong. It has been said many times, but carry on.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I really don't think that she said any thing wrong. It has been said many times, but carry on.
But if a Republican says it, they are either an Uncle Tom or a racist depending on their race.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yet I'm told on this board there is no such thing as African-American culture. This is all too perplexing. The woman is a bigot.

First lady bemoans culture of African Americans aspiring to be 'a baller or a rapper' - POLITICO.com
bill cosby tells black folk to put down the game boy and pick up a book...he is used as a example by the conservative right.

Michelle Obama tells black kids to put down the game control and pick up a book and shes a racist to those same conservatives...

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's with the hyperbole?

People have been saying this same stuff for as long as i can remember.

What's with all the "racist" and "bigot" nonsense?
Because everyone else who has broached the subject was called a racist or a bigot!

So now you agree that the black culture is screwed up?

All it took was an obama to say it for you to agree.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So what? Michelle Obama is not saying anything that MOST African Americans haven't already said.
Yet, the trend continues.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because everyone else who has broached the subject was called a racist or a bigot!

So now you agree that the black culture is screwed up?

All it took was an obama to say it for you to agree.

That is NOT what she stated or even implied. Although this is exactly how a racist would interpret her comments. So carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies