Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The local laws govern the situation. Read those and you'll have your answer. What you, I or anyone else on the www thinks about it ... the law governs. Respect the people who establish the law. The citizenry.

So "yes," as long as the Harper Valley PTA says so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'd trace it a little further back to the 17th century, as many others have:

Detour: The Nanny State and The New Puritanism
So are you disavowing your original post?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Interesting, I wonder where boob shots would fit in that framework? No doubt, sex offender status as well. God thing no one snapped a pic during Spring Break, Daytona Beach, 1980.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
I have seen a few of these cases. One that sticks in my mind was a similar case where a young couple were facing felony charges that would result in them being registered sex offenders. I don't recall the details other than it was silly (public urination maybe) but it was the action of a judge that was noteworthy.

He threw the case on his docket and rushed it through. After the prosecutor had made his case he called a recess. He readjourned promptly at the stated time - some said a bit early.

The prosecutor was about one minute late. In that time the defense had made a quick statement in their defense and the judge quickly found them guilty of some petty misdemeanor offense and fined them court costs. When the prosecutor came back they were wrapping up. Due to the double jeopardy laws they were free.

He later said he wasn't going to ruin two kids and berated the prosecutor for wasting the court's time. The prosecutor decided to leave any judicial misconduct alone.

Now that's legislating from the bench in the name of common sense.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,472,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I guess it depends on 'who' is mooning.
Jennifer Lopez=good
Mr T=bad
Yes..... Hot ass no problem. Ugly flabby butt, off to the electric chair.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM

7,124 posts, read 8,625,536 times
I remember walking home from school when I was around 13 and this car was honking their horn wildly so of course I looked...well I saw a full moon as they raced off...I had a good laugh...it didn't scar me for life or anything!;0

Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,393,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The community in which this occurred sets the standards of acceptable behavior. There's an elected School Board, Mayor or President of the community, a police department and the local judiciary. The school took the action it deemed appropriate. As did local law enforcement. Now a local judge will review the matter and make a determination. I doubt the young man will suffer more than the embarassment for what he did, and probably probation. I'm not as quick to be anti-schools, anti-government and anti-law enforcement ... and, really, anti-citizenry as your remarks make you seem to be. Let the local people handle the matter right now.

Now run along and worship your king/ruler.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,371,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting, I wonder where boob shots would fit in that framework? No doubt, sex offender status as well. God thing no one snapped a pic during Spring Break, Daytona Beach, 1980.
I wouldn't want anyone to be labeled a "sex offender" for mooning or flashing. But I would consider some minor penalties surrounding indecent exposure a fine thing. People want to pretend to be bad but want complete protection from the consequences? Where's the thrill in any of that, c'mon...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,204,194 times
I don't think anyone should be labeled a sex offender for mooning. A fine would be an appropriate punishment/penalty for such an act.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Read the article!!!!

He is facing two 3rd degree misdemeanor charges under PA law. These are the least serious infractions in the Commonwealth. There will be no sex offender registration because those offenses are not under PA's Megan Law criteria.

Provided he has no priors and based on the fact he can't walk in graduation coupled with the suspension my guess is the charges will be dropped or a community service type deal will be agreed upon.

Do I think it's a big deal? No. Problem is...

The girls were offended enough to report it to their teacher. Now you have to take action at least internally so the parents don't throw a fit.

I think the suspension is good enough. He wrote an apology letter. Let him walk at graduation. You bring up the charges for future kids so this doesn't happen again. But like I said...drop them after the scare does its corrective job. Reading some of the charges that constitute registration of sex offender status he didn't even come close to any of them. Not even corruption of minors.

5901. Open lewdness.
A person commits a misdemeanor of the third degree if he does
any lewd act which he knows is likely to be observed by others
who would be affronted or alarmed.

5503. Disorderly conduct.
(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of disorderly
conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance
or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
(1) engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or
tumultuous behavior;
(2) makes unreasonable noise;
(3) uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture;
or
(4) creates a hazardous or physically offensive
condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of
the actor.
(b) Grading.--An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
of the third degree if the intent of the actor is to cause
substantial harm or serious inconvenience, or if he persists in
disorderly conduct after reasonable warning or request to
desist. Otherwise disorderly conduct is a summary offense.
(c) Definition.--As used in this section the word "public"
means affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which
the public or a substantial group has access; among the places
included are highways, transport facilities, schools, prisons,
apartment houses, places of business or amusement, any
neighborhood, or any premises which are open to the public.

Sources: Disorderly conduct - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5503 - Pennsylvania Attorney Resources - Pennsylvania Laws and
Open lewdness - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5901 - Pennsylvania Attorney Resources - Pennsylvania Laws and Megan's Law Public
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies