Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Why do 97% of scientific studies agree that climate change is manmade?
1. Consipracy 22 41.51%
2. Scientists are not as smart as average Joe 5 9.43%
3. Scientists don't believe in the bible or the rapture 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,607,099 times
Reputation: 4784

Advertisements

An interesting report form Yale university classifying America's views of global warming into categories of:

-the Alarmed
- the Concerned
- the Cautious
-the Disengaged
- the Doubtful
-the Dismissive

http://environment.yale.edu/climate-...ember-2012.pdf

 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,607,099 times
Reputation: 4784
Also, here are some links to Gallup Poll results for the world with regard to beliefs about climate change.

Interestingly, "in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and the Middle East/North Africa regions, where populations are more likely to be vulnerable to the effects of climate change, the perceived threat is nonetheless relatively low and far more subdued than in the Americas or Europe."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117772/Aw...Worldwide.aspx

Awareness of Climate Change and Threat Vary by Region
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 AM
 
6,331 posts, read 5,190,626 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! Before we get to the reality of this study and the idiots who ran it, lets look at what was looked at.

First, 66% of the studies that were looked at took no position. They were climate studies that didnt take a position.

that means a minority (no more than 36%) could have possibly been in support of Global Warming.

Ergo... no consensus.
Approximately 0% of the scientific studies disputed the theory of man made global warming.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
 
8,483 posts, read 6,902,063 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Approximately 0% of the scientific studies disputed the theory of man made global warming.
I assume you mean the study here. Actually the problem with that was already pointed out. Actual scientist stated that the ratings were inaccurate. If you view the study the self-rating as they state it was almost 2%. But it is all meaningless since it is entirely subjective and has been shown to actually be inaccurate in it's own subjective ratings.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 AM
 
6,331 posts, read 5,190,626 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I assume you mean the study here. Actually the problem with that was already pointed out. Actual scientist stated that the ratings were inaccurate. If you view the study the self-rating as they state it was almost 2%. But it is all meaningless since it is entirely subjective and has been shown to actually be inaccurate in it's own subjective ratings.
Ok, I'll give you 2%. Why is it that only 2% oppose the theory, yet in the general population it's much higher. I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of Limbaugh fans oppose the theory.

What is the difference between Limbaugh fans and the scientific community?
 
Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,067 posts, read 10,624,696 times
Reputation: 9700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Ok, I'll give you 2%. Why is it that only 2% oppose the theory, yet in the general population it's much higher. I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of Limbaugh fans oppose the theory.

What is the difference between Limbaugh fans and the scientific community?
Why are you trying to keep this horse alive? You posted a bogus thread claiming that a bogus study supported your bogus position. At this point, anyone who reads past page one realizes that the entire premise of this thread is flawed. Admit that you were misled by the article and let the thread die an honorable death. Failing that, just let the thread die...
 
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,908,718 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Ok, I'll give you 2%. Why is it that only 2% oppose the theory, yet in the general population it's much higher. I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of Limbaugh fans oppose the theory.

What is the difference between Limbaugh fans and the scientific community?
Because honestly, science is not debate process where you pick your side and then attempt to defend it. It is a process of exploration to which the results shape your understanding, not the other way around.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,795 posts, read 7,260,060 times
Reputation: 5194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Then stop taking advantages of science in your daily life lest you be a hypocrite, starting with stop using the internet.
Sometimes it is better to be silent and allow people to assume ignorance, than to speak up and to leave no doubt.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,216 posts, read 8,077,628 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
While I disagree with his generalization that all of scientists are such, his attempt to get at the problem is valid. Science has been used as a means to dazzle the lack of intellect to a cause. Appeals to authority have been over used to proclaim validity to a given position, simply because they claim... they are "scientists".
Here's the thing.... summed up this paragraph could read "mans persuades men with idea".....

Sigh... you always try and get into a drawn semantic diatribe. You are simply over blowing a universal truth about man. Man has done it with all types of ideas from political to religious to philosophical to scientific. I'm sure missing some there to.

Quote:
If you can not at least understand this growing problem of using authority to validate a given position, then you are just a lackey who sheepishly worships at the feet of their betters (self proclaimed that is) and that would make you a worthless human being. Are you a worthless human being who bows to authority and disregards logical and evident means?
Again... silly argument. You pick and choose which things you believe in and what authority you bow to, you are no different.

Quote:
If so, you would share a similarity of the peasants in the worlds history who believed kings and queens were supernatural in their being. Are you such? Are you a peasant?
Why would you assume they all believed their kings and queens were supernatural beings and instead just mostly wanted to keep their lives....

Such an absolutist.
 
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,908,718 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Here's the thing.... summed up this paragraph could read "mans persuades men with idea".....

Sigh... you always try and get into a drawn semantic diatribe. You are simply over blowing a universal truth about man. Man has done it with all types of ideas from political to religious to philosophical to scientific. I'm sure missing some there to.



Again... silly argument. You pick and choose which things you believe in and what authority you bow to, you are no different.



Why would you assume they all believed their kings and queens were supernatural beings and instead just mostly wanted to keep their lives....

Such an absolutist.
You are using that to push a given agenda.

Science doesn't operate on consensus. Authority does not validate a given assumption and yet your entire position is contingent on it which is obvious from the continued desire by such advocates to convince people that "97% of scientists" agree. Even if it were true (which it has been shown it is not consistently), it wouldn't make any given position on the issue valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top