Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do 97% of scientific studies agree that climate change is manmade?
1. Consipracy 22 41.51%
2. Scientists are not as smart as average Joe 5 9.43%
3. Scientists don't believe in the bible or the rapture 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,650,412 times

Advertisements

It's easy. Carbon is burnt toast. So basically people breath in burnt toast everyday, which makes their brains burnt toast. Which leads some to believe scientists are also burnt toast for brains. Easy.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,902,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Pray tell... If not by consenus how do ideas become theories or laws?
Usually force.

If you are referring to science, then yes there must be some acceptance. But even "laws" are just theoretical in science. I don't think consensus is the right word for that.

This study keeps using "consensus" incorrectly. Very Dephi.
con·sen·sus (kn-snss)n.1. An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole:

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,077,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Usually force.

If you are referring to science, then yes there must be some acceptance. But even "laws" are just theoretical in science. I don't think consensus is the right word for that.

This study keeps using "consensus" incorrectly. Very Dephi.
con·sen·sus (kn-snss)n.1. An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole:
By force you say.... I do recall having a gun pointed at my head when I had to choose sides on evolution....

Anywho.... yes semantics. "Consensus" is probably the wrong word but I would hope people would get the gist of it. If science worked how Nomander's rant indicated then not much could be accomplished.

As to things being theoretical.... certainly... your existent is theoretical if you want to take it to that level. However, we can't live our lives like that as we try the best we can to understand than the world around us... hence us trying to determine man's impact on our climate.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,825,688 times
I'll be glad for the day when this whole issue is figured out, and we're all drinkin' that sweet bubble-love, and eatin' that rainbow stew.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
By force you say.... I do recall having a gun pointed at my head when I had to choose sides on evolution....

Anywho.... yes semantics. "Consensus" is probably the wrong word but I would hope people would get the gist of it. If science worked how Nomander's rant indicated then not much could be accomplished.

As to things being theoretical.... certainly... your existent is theoretical if you want to take it to that level. However, we can't live our lives like that as we try the best we can to understand than the world around us... hence us trying to determine man's impact on our climate.
Theory and laws can refer to other topics. Obviously not just science. That is why I qualified it. The scientific method can be a part of everyday life. Of course, applying it in a rigorous manner is a bit impractical.

You can call it semantics but that can be very important and helpful when it comes to language.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Theory and laws can refer to other topics. Obviously not just science. That is why I qualified it. The scientific method can be a part of everyday life. Of course, applying it in a rigorous manner is a bit impractical.
Well certainly they can relate to other topics, it's just the topic of the thread. But it's all good.

Quote:
You can call it semantics but that can be very important and helpful when it comes to language.
No doubt.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Well certainly they can relate to other topics, it's just the topic of the thread. But it's all good.

No doubt.
Well when I first read your statement I wasn't sure. Clearly, the questionable approach to this study and the topic itself are also related to legal and political implications. The study itself appears to be to referencing "public" opinion. Both theory and laws apply there also.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 AM

11,067 posts, read 10,624,696 times
Does nobody in this thread read history? Does nobody recall the last time that "consensus science" and politics joined forces? For those that don't, do a google search for Eugenics and see where that got us. The entire "climate change" movement is heading down the same path.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Does nobody in this thread read history? Does nobody recall the last time that "consensus science" and politics joined forces? For those that don't, do a google search for Eugenics and see where that got us. The entire "climate change" movement is heading down the same path.
Haha..... sure.......... Climate change movement is heading down the path of eugenics.....

I hear climate scientist eat babies alive.....

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,129,474 times
In order to for scientists keep their jobs, they need funding. Data is manipulated to keep their funding as long as its political expedient to those who hold the purse strings. As soon as it becomes politically wrong, funding is pulled or a new scientific finding is "discovered".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies