Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

It is because everyone thinks they are always right and everyone is always wrong. I like posting on here because it is a nice time waster while commuting, but I don't come here to change anyone's mind or have anyone change my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is because everyone thinks they are always right and everyone is always wrong. I like posting on here because it is a nice time waster while commuting, but I don't come here to change anyone's mind or have anyone change my mind.
Well, if it is really just entertainment, lobbing insults for your "team," well, that at least makes some sense.

My issue with most of the discussions is that they almost exclusively assume binary right or wrong, black or white answers to questions where intermediate answers are the only ones that would ever make sense. The black or white options are just rhetoric anyway, because they would never fly politically. We are stuck with the much more complex assignment of debating the ideal combinations of factors that would actually work, but folks seem incapable of subtlety and the intellectual honesty it demands. No one aspires to be obese or anorexic, but that is the way we debate politics.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, if it is really just entertainment, lobbing insults for your "team," well, that at least makes some sense.

My issue with most of the discussions is that they almost exclusively assume binary right or wrong, black or white answers to questions where intermediate answers are the only ones that would ever make sense. The black or white options are just rhetoric anyway, because they would never fly politically. We are stuck with the much more complex assignment of debating the ideal combinations of factors that would actually work, but folks seem incapable of subtlety and the intellectual honesty it demands. No one aspires to be obese or anorexic, but that is the way we debate politics.
The objective of politics is to make the other side look as bad as possible and to feel bad about their position so that adherents of one side will vote the opposite way come election day.

People who can't handle that rough and tumble environment avoid the P&OC sub forum and read/post in more pleasant sub forums - like Gardening.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/garden/

Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The objective of politics is to make the other side look as bad as possible and to feel bad about their position so that adherents of one side will vote the opposite way come election day.

People who can't handle that rough and tumble environment avoid the P&OC sub forum and read/post in more pleasant sub forums - like Gardening.

Sorry, but that is just dumb. Do you really think that by insulting and shaming anyone here (or anywhere) you get them to change their mind? I really, really doubt that is true. The "your side is evil and stupid, and my side is righteous and brilliant" is just hot air anyway. But more importantly, the issues we should be debating do not have purely ideological solutions, they require thoughtful compromises and sometimes, most times, some middle ground is best. Given the purging of the moderates from the GOP, for instance, it is very unlikely anyone who is not a die hard conservative will be shamed into voting GOP, no matter how much shouting they see here. I don't think shouting partisans change anyone's mind, other than to disgust them.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Your idea would be nice, but I don't think it's possible on any message board anywhere, because people don't have to look the next person in the eye, or be face to face with an actual human being.
It is possible, and it happens. It just requires moderation that is willing to ban people who link and run or just post insults, even if it means less traffic. When having lots of traffic is the only concern, you get a cesspool of reactionary blowhards screeching insults at each other and cash rewards for those who screech the loudest.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

I can't believe there are idiots that believe tulips are prettier than roses.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That tired argument is tulips and roses.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Lol what?

They both suck, the flowers that blossom every spring in DC are the most beautiful

Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Lol what?

They both suck, the flowers that blossom every spring in DC are the most beautiful
Well, if you're in the pink, I suppose.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
IMO Politics is secular religion. People are less concerned with fact as they are possibilities. They normally will rely on some one else to tell them what they need to know like a preacher or pundant.

For instance a car stuck in a tree becomes a boring fact. People will spend hours standing around discusing how it got there. And just ike in politics and religion no one wants to employ real science in the discussion.

Discussing politics and religion makes people feel smart. Even the most feeble minds can have a say and no one can refute his position. Because the discussions are not based on facts.

Its no wonder that religion tells us to follow our political leaders and our political leaders encourage us to follow our religious leaders. Why do we need both?
Political discussions are stupid because no one wants to dwell on political science and get bogged down wih boring facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies