U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

3,554 posts, read 2,307,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You don't register a right.
If you don't believe that guns are regulated or can have more regulation, I've got a tank I can sell you for a song and dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 AM

11,499 posts, read 9,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
If you don't believe that guns are regulated or can have more regulation, I've got a tank I can sell you for a song and dance.
Cool! But tanks are useless to militia. We are LWI, often operate in no bigger than squad size, and travel quite light. Biggest we might need is something like an M48A1 or M60. Our people favor M1As, AR and LRs, and either 1911 45 ACPs or K to N frame SW revolvers for sidearms. Rolling gear is light as well. Food and water for 2 days, any extra space, take ammo. One guy, has a well stocked med pack, and EVERYONE, carries zome sort od medical kit. A good knife, two usually, a folder and a fixed blade, couple folks, me included, carry a tomahawk or bolo.

Rucks are packed with spare clothing, socks being a big item, and everyone has various, handy utensils. Me, I never hit the scrub without a magnifying glass. Indispensible. Yep, rest assured though, we all have it on our to do list to register all our arms. Great Father, who art in DC, bless us with your guidance! Yea, right. Lmao.

By the way, couple of guys that hang with our group are local deputies. Couple og NG and reserve types as well. One is a sergeant on the county SWAT team. Their personal arms are not registered either. Horrors!!!

Our group is well equipped, well disciplined, very serious, and very effective. We also ha e a number of ladies. They are double tough, no nonsense, very skilled in variouts areas, and drop dead HOT. Though you wouldn't think so. Your take on things has no capacity to appreciate ladies of their caliber, and they are WAY out of your league. I am sooooo glad I am what I am. I can't imagine being around any types of folks but these. I am blessed to be in their company, every one. Anx we don't need a Federal babysitter.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 AM

11,393 posts, read 7,516,286 times
Quote:
The issue is not prosecuting the crime after the fact. The issue is preventing the crime in the first place. The issue is saving lives. Your argument that " Prohibition only burdens the innocent law abiding people, not the criminals" flies in the face of the facts.
The fact is, that you can NEVER prove that prohibition did or did not have an effect on a crime. You CAN evaluate how effective a government was at prosecuting criminal acts.

"Preventing Crime" is NewSpeak for authoritarian regulation of society. At the extreme, you wind up where that which is not mandatory, nor allowed, is forbidden. That is the DEATH of liberty.

I prefer liberty over regimentation.
“Nevertheless in no country does crime more rarely elude punishment. The reason is, that every one conceives himself to be interested in furnishing evidence of the act committed, and in stopping the delinquent. During my stay in the United States I witnessed the spontaneous formation of committees for the pursuit and prosecution of a man who had committed a great crime in a certain county. In Europe a criminal is an unhappy being who is struggling for his life against the ministers of justice, whilst the population is merely a spectator of the conflict; in America he is looked upon as an enemy of the human race, and the whole of mankind is against him.”
- - - Tocqueville, Alexis de, 1805-1859. . . Democracy in America, volume 1 (1838)
Please note: Reliance on a "professional" police force is what de Tocqueville was warning us about.

Intolerance of crime and criminals was once an American virtue. That is no longer the case. Instituting a Police state over a disarmed populace will not correct the problem.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 05-26-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 AM

11,393 posts, read 7,516,286 times
Quote:
Ownership of firearms results in 30,000 gun-related deaths each year... And that's just sad.
FBI Statistics 2011 A.D.
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
HOMICIDES (in 2011): 12,664 total; 8,583 firearms; 1,694 knives; 496 blunt objects;

Homicides due to firearms 8,583.... not 30,000

How many crimes were thwarted by armed people?
Thousands of Criminal Attacks Thwarted by Armed Citizens » Light from the Right
According to the authors of Cato Institute’s recently released study on how often guns are used by citizens to prevent crime, “tens of thousands of crimes are prevented each year by ordinary citizens with guns.”
This does not account for thwarted crimes that were not reported.

Bottom line - you can "save some lives" but injure tens of thousands more than you can save by disarming the population.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM

5,013 posts, read 6,195,629 times
Quote:
The fact is that ownership of firearms profoundly affects each and every one of us. It affects who we are, and what we do, how we react to one another, and our national and state commerce. Ownership of firearms results in 30,000 gun-related deaths each year, and costs untold billions of dollars in medical care, funeral expenses, law enforcement and judicial activities. I could go one but something tells me that you don't care about any of that as long as you can finger your gun barrel. And that's just sad.
Your inability to use logic is astounding. Ownership of firearms does not have any of the effects that you claim. Those effects are all the result of firearms use, not ownership. Those 30,000 deaths could be greatly reduced by removing criminals from the population and incarcerating them. Why don't you promote stronger prosecution and punishment of violent criminals, rather than attacking legal firearms owners? At what point did it become more important to you that violent criminals walk free than that the 2nd Amendment has worked quite well for over 200 years?

I could pick apart the rest of your illogical post, but it has become clear to me that your emotionally charged attitude toward firearms owners has clouded your judgement.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

19,126 posts, read 18,996,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It isn't though: It just contradicts your corrupted understanding of the Constitution.
It's just YOU that have contradicted AND corrupted the understanding of the Constitution. No one else here has......

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Gee, more threats. How quaint.
Geeze you little whimps turn figures of speech into threats.... Did you have fun wiping out your panties? Was it sticky?

Evidently we are talking with a child..... I take it you are under 13 years old and your mother is a single mom and she has you in a training bra even though you are male .. poor little dear.

Come back after you grow up sweetheart. I better put you in my pandora's box before the PC police come to get me. bye

Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There is a pic of my mare on my profile. My phone won't let me post pics to threads for some reason. Nice getup there. Looks Blackfoot, maybe Northern Cheyenne or Crow. But hey ma, I'm a Greyrider! I don't like the bluebellys neither. So, we smoke together, hunt and feast. Washte'!!

Yep, not all our defenses are actual handheld weapons. Certain traits our animals have are used well in our defense to. The mare WON'T do her snotty dance with a young rider, except my son, who could ride out a whirlwind in a hurricane. Lol. Little ones are treated like royalty. Haha. My gelding I had, he had a lip tat to. When I got him he had a habit of run like Bell, bear left. But he wanted to please, he was a people horse. So he didn't make it on the track. To mellow. Worked out fer me though. :-)

By the way, I have a good knife, extra pistol and shot, and a stack of Union issue wool blankets. Washte'!. Talk trade?

Well Mac, to guys like us, the whole discussion, here, is nonsensical. Ownership of arms is as part of us as breathing. We can, no more, fathom the concept of not having means to defend our families and homes than we can sprout wings and fly. Tbe very idea is just ludicrous. We listen to some carpetbagger spout off about utopian peace twixt all humanity, and all we have to do is lose a few folks to the coyotes. Then the coyotes will understand, and stop pulling down our helpless ones. Well, maybe just one, here and there. I just bust out joyful like all over at becoming Eloi. Baaaaaa!!
Just so you know that pic is 20 years old. Will check yours..

Putting a few of these flamers in pandora's box. I refuse to play with small children.

Oh as to me and BC's: 2 for Dare they suck asking very detailed and personal questions, and each one took 3 weeks. I have taken many to buy guns. I took another kind to work in a gun store where i called NICS and bought and sold guns over the counter. You get finger printed like a criminal. I have done the books.

I have been arrested more than 6 times, mostly for mouthing off after my rights were stepped. I have never been convicted once, not even for J Walking but they trued that once too

I should have been arrested one other time for the crime of wearing Buck Skins, but the nice officer finally let me go after detaining me 45 minutes (my limit) upon my demanding he arrest me and put that horse in a SPCA home until I was all done suing his pants and shirt off.

He almost broke my .60 cal pistol trying to open the breech. Of course he would have needed to be built somewhat more like King Kong to break open the breech since that steel breech block is hefty and screwed deeply ion the brass barrel. I know that because i made these parts from shop scraps.

Mass has funny laws considering that Shot Heard Around the World.

Just goes to show you what a corrupt state can do.

Black Foot can't get meaner than a junkyard dog than that. The pole arm is a real French and Indian War partisan and has steel on both ends. Came by that free on a const job in Maine. I asked to buy it and it was given.

That nag was just fine til you shook out a saddle blanket. I don't know why.. then came on blowing, dragon's breath a frothy sweat on her chest and it just went south from there.

After a good long run if no less than 9 miles she would mellow untill a panther appeared.. then it started all over again. I used to think that was cool

I learned to get longer reigns after picking up a beech tree branch with dry leaves.... I felt her 'collect' Uh oh. Couldn't get there by getting down so I laid back in my saddle.That was a trick mistah'

Yup I know about go like Hell stage left too. That was where i found myself in the dirt and she wanted to go home with out me. Almost got away with that too.

I did your time period once on Invite up on South Mt Md. I was created to be one of Mosby's Boys.. A lot of Union guys didn't like that!

Tradin': Dunno maybe Shipping will kill us...... Why Shipping might 'eat us both alive!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The fact is, that you can NEVER prove that prohibition did or did not have an effect on a crime.
Not in this country, no. Why? Because we've never tried it. Let's find out, shall we?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
FBI Statistics 2011 A.D.
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
HOMICIDES (in 2011): 12,664 total; 8,583 firearms; 1,694 knives; 496 blunt objects;

Homicides due to firearms 8,583.... not 30,000

How many crimes were thwarted by armed people?
Thousands of Criminal Attacks Thwarted by Armed Citizens » Light from the Right
According to the authors of Cato Institute’s recently released study on how often guns are used by citizens to prevent crime, “tens of thousands of crimes are prevented each year by ordinary citizens with guns.”
This does not account for thwarted crimes that were not reported.

Bottom line - you can "save some lives" but injure tens of thousands more than you can save by disarming the population.
Where in my post did I say ONLY homicide by firearms? The 30,000 is the total gun-related deaths that occur in this country each year. yes, it goes up and down, but on average, 30,000 is the number.

And if you get rid of the guns altogether you won't need a gun to prevent someone else from shooting you, and most other ways people kill people are far less lethal, and so the victims are much more likely to survive.

And by the way, if you want me to give credence to your numbers, you'll have to do far better than the CATO Institute. Isn't it interesting how the NRA and many conservative organizations demand that the government NOT conduct formal studies on gun violence, but they themselves are all to eager to produce their own numbers? Why do you suppose that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies