Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't think that the black vote will ever change party affiliation. Lyndon B. Johnson enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year. The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.
....as they shouldn't.

Never know though...the parties have realigned themselves plenty of times before.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Please give us a name of one tea party leader who is a racist.

Please give us a reference to where you have found "quite a bit" of tea party racists.
So you're telling me you support the Tea Party with your eyes closed... A quick Google search would have enlightened you... There is much more but you should be able to get the picture with this...

Ohio TEApublican Refuses To Apologize For Racist E-Mail, Says He Found It Humorous | Americans Against the Tea Party

Tea Party Activist’s Racist Email Shocks Orange County GOP

Old 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I didn't say they were, only that they were over-represented on the welfare rolls by a factor of 3 (3 times as many as should be expected given their percentage of the population). Whereas, Hispanics are slightly under-represented, and Whites are under-represented by close to 40%
Over-representation does not mean a majority. But this is the main thing. How is the majority of Blacks voting Democrat simply for "free stuff" a statistical fact? I'm not talking about "over-representation". I'm talking about "TOTAL PERCENT". While 28% of Blacks are getting some form of welfare, that leaves alot more that aren't getting welfare, so the whole "Blacks only want free stuff" is a fallacy for the majority of the Black population.

Quote:
Do the math factoring in unemployment rates and percentage of overall population.
I was asking you to come up with that estimate. I was also asking other questions, which aren't getting answered either.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think that the black vote will ever change party affiliation. Lyndon B. Johnson enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year. The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.
Another thing to account for is the Southern Strategy as well.

I feel like if this is the case, and there are others who feel the same way, I feel like some people should stop complaining about Blacks voting for Democrats. I feel like it's "do something about it" or "take is as 'it is what it is' ".

Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Republicans have been able to garner a sizable part of the Hispanic vote. Getting a sizable Asian vote isn't going to be the hardest part. It is the Black vote that is going to be harder to get. From what I know and hear, alot of Blacks basically feel alienated by the Republican Party. As to why this is, there is room for debate.
Why? Successful brainwashing by the Dems, and groupthink.

In all honesty... Blacks should ask themselves how voting Dem time after time has helped their segment of society. Take a closer look at Chicago (governed by Dems for a very long time) to get an idea of what's going on under Dem policies.
How Bad Is Violence in Chicago? Depends on Your Race - Noah Berlatsky - The Atlantic

Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Over-representation does not mean a majority. But this is the main thing. How is the majority of Blacks voting Democrat simply for "free stuff" a statistical fact? I'm not talking about "over-representation". I'm talking about "TOTAL PERCENT". While 28% of Blacks are getting some form of welfare, that leaves alot more that aren't getting welfare, so the whole "Blacks only want free stuff" is a fallacy for the majority of the Black population.
+1

Most black people are middle class. That is a fact.

Why do you think, your opinion, that the black monolith has voted Democrat for President for the last 50+ years?

Old 01-11-2014, 01:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Another thing to account for is the Southern Strategy as well.

I feel like if this is the case, and there are others who feel the same way, I feel like some people should stop complaining about Blacks voting for Democrats. I feel like it's "do something about it" or "take is as 'it is what it is' ".
I accept facts and stats, not wishful thinking or opinion. I don't see there is anything to "do about it" other than keep the door open by continuing to talk about the positives our party can provide over democratic policies and make room at the table for minority views, especially congressional staffers that have politicians' ears. Minorities are woefully unrepresented on Republican staffs.

Edited to add: I think Hispanics are open to hearing what the Republicans can offer them, but don't see that with black voters. It is what it is, as you put it, and the democrats will continue to keep the monolithic black vote for a very, very long time.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-11-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? Successful brainwashing by the Dems, and groupthink.

In all honesty... Blacks should ask themselves how voting Dem time after time has helped their segment of society. Take a closer look at Chicago (governed by Dems for a very long time) to get an idea of what's going on under Dem policies.
How Bad Is Violence in Chicago? Depends on Your Race - Noah Berlatsky - The Atlantic
Here is a better question. Why is it that other ethnicities do better than Blacks whether it is Democrats or Republicans running the place? And what does getting murdered have to do with Democrats? Last time I checked, Whites in Chicago get killed far less than Blacks do. Last time I checked, Asians and Hispanics get killed less than Blacks do.

And Chicago is not a great example. A better example would be Baltimore or New Orleans. These are cities with far higher murder rates than Chicago. Chicago is around 15-18 murders per 100,000. Baltimore is around 32 murders per 100,000. New Orleans is around 57-60 murders per 100,000. Blacks get killed more than everyone else in this nation in most major cities.

Seattle, Minneapolis, and Boston have been run by Democrats for a long time. Whites and Asians do better than Blacks in those cities. And Blacks in Seattle are actually doing better than in many other cities. The social problems Blacks are going through have nothing to do with the political party they vote for.

Better yet, look at Appalachia. Dirt poor and predominantly White. Pretty much vote Republican in both elections. And yet, much of the population is quite poor, there is major environmental issues there, and drug problems there.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
+1

Most black people are middle class. That is a fact.

Why do you think, your opinion, that the black monolith has voted Democrat for President for the last 50+ years?
I just feel like a big part of it is lack of trust. I tend to slant towards independent these days. I feel like neither party is going to do it for me. However, I feel like with Blacks and the Republican Party, there is a feeling of distrust towards the Republican Party. It's a matter of "vote for the lesser of two evils". There are moderate Republicans, who would be glad to work with Blacks. However, the loudest voices aren't the moderates.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Here is a better question. Why is it that other ethnicities do better than Blacks whether it is Democrats or Republicans running the place? And what does getting murdered have to do with Democrats? Last time I checked, Whites in Chicago get killed far less than Blacks do.
Exactly. And Blacks are nearly always killed by other Blacks. How can this be if Dems are supposedly the party that Blacks want governing them? How is that Dem governing working out for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies