Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed that at least in Maryland, the Democrats have consists of 3 major groups - the liberal yuppie elite (the Starbucks, Prius, Whole Foods, coffeeshop hipster crowd), ghetto people, and illegal immigrants. A lot of the Democrat votes come from rich urban areas and a few wealthy suburbs with a of of New York transplants. If you go into the ghetto you also see wild support for Obama, the kind of people who wear shirts saying "keep the White House black" and talking about how great is it to have a black man in the White House. But its the rich white liberals who are okay with things like rain taxes, wind farm taxes, giving in-state tuition to illegals, etc who are also pushing for abortion and gay marriage very passionately. It seems even though they might not agree with all the taxes, they are willing to pay them as a trade off to support abortion and gay marriage. Because I don't know how anyone in their right mind can actually support a gas tax increase that goes exclusively to fund mass transit in the city, or how anyone in their right mind can support a rain tax and wind farm tax, or be okay with increasing the alcohol tax, cigarette tax, and income tax. With nanny state laws like gun control, plastic bags, and soda bans you get support from the liberal elite AND the ghetto Democrats.

However most of the blue collar and middle class whites are conservative and Republican, not just on the federal but on the state and local level as well. However when it comes to blacks I've noticed when I see a black conservative its usually a middle class or upper class black person. Usually someone who has become financially successful and no longer buys into the victimhood mentality, but who also was raised right in church and has conservative social values. With Hispanics I don't know but I assume the better off Hispanics are the ones that are more assimilated, who came legally and have fewer connections to illegal aliens though I'm sure SOME still vote Democrat out of racial solidarity with illegal aliens. I personally and of Asian descent and am Republican for financial and religious reasons both.
Its easy, all of a liberals insulates them for the consequences of their views and actions
if they vote for some leftist who will raise gas prices by a dollar, it wont effect me, ban self defense rifles, that's fine I can hire armed security, I support section 8 house because I live in a gated community.

liberals vote on emotion and feelings, nothing more.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.
This , exactly. I would go further and add:

Wealthy, liberal whites seem to harbor guilt about being "white and privileged."

To absolve themselves of this "sin", they help push laws that benefit non-asian minorities at the expense of middle-class and lower-class whites.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,711,133 times
According to the Associated Press, the lion's share at every income level goes to Independents. At high incomes, Democrats have long been in the minority, but according to the AP's numbers, the Dems have caught up to the GOP. There are now roughly equal numbers for both parties at that income level. If things continue to trend in the same direction, the OP will be absolutely correct: There will be more Dems that Repubs among the very rich.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Wealthy whites = Inheretence

Conservative Blacks = hard work

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.
... and it is ok to be liberal with OTHER PEOPLE's MONEY.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
According to the Associated Press, the lion's share at every income level goes to Independents. At high incomes, Democrats have long been in the minority, but according to the AP's numbers, the Dems have caught up to the GOP. There are now roughly equal numbers for both parties at that income level. If things continue to trend in the same direction, the OP will be absolutely correct: There will be more Dems that Repubs among the very rich.

There are more choices than Republican for conservatives. I live in Virginia and we do not register by political party.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
It isn't rich whites as such who are liberal or moderate Democrats; it's highly educated whites. The two categories overlap but are not the same.

The uneducated dregs of society who have white skin support the GOP partly as a means of expressing contempt for other races (and other disfavored people). The uneducated dregs of society who have black skin and support the Democrats do so for similar reasons.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It isn't rich whites as such who are liberal or moderate Democrats; it's highly educated whites. The two categories overlap but are not the same.

The uneducated dregs of society who have white skin support the GOP partly as a means of expressing contempt for other races (and other disfavored people). The uneducated dregs of society who have black skin and support the Democrats do so for similar reasons.
Negative, exit polls showed in this past election that the overwhelming majority of degree earners with a bachelors voted for Romney...

The least educated (high school diploma or less) voted for Obama.
The poorest overwhelmingly voted for Obama as well.

Overall the "dredges" of society I.e. the "47%" won the election.

President Exit Polls - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Negative, exit polls showed in this past election that the overwhelming majority of degree earners with a bachelors voted for Romney...
Did you even bother reading your own link?

51% of voters with a bachelor's and only a bachelor's voted for Romney. That's the only educational category he won; that's an overwhelming majority?

55% of voters with a postgraduate degree chose Obama.

If you combine the two, accounting for their absolute numbers in the population, Obama won "degree earners" by 50-48.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,619,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In both Maryland and Virginia the wealthiest jurisdictions are the most liberal Democrat ones.....places like Montgomery and Howard Counties in Maryland and Arlington/Fairfax in Virginia. Most of the rural areas which are mostly working class are very conservative and Republican dominated. It was also the wealthier areas where a lot of people voted in favor of the illegal alien Dream Act.

Of course Baltimore City IS an example of poor ghetto people voting for their own self interest because they want the continued handouts from the government. And there certainly are middle class suburbs aplenty where people vote Republican and want lower taxes.
In those two jurisdictions, how was all of that wealth acquired?

Meaning what fields are specific to that area that are not elsewhere?

Example, NYC has lots of very wealthy people thanks in big part to Wall St and related industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.