Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well yeah..they need to move to a state where they can get married so they can live together.
Makes you wonder why that morality clause got added to her divorce papers though.
What they can do, and is done in a few cases, would be for one of them to legally "adopt" the other which would then create a legal blood relationship and nullify the judges order. The disadvantage of that is it will also cut off the ability of the adoptee to legally inherit anything from her parent which could be a big disadvantage if her parents hold lots of assets or money. It would enable both partners to inherit from each other should one of them die. It is something I have read that some gay couples are doing to get around laws on estate rights and hospital visitations and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Texas? You don't say. When I saw the headline, I figured it must be Massachusetts, Vermont, Wisconsin or Oregon.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I really need to link to the Texas law that bans gay people from marrying one another?

You are asuming that the lesbian couple want to get married. That's not the question at hand and is not addressed in the morality clause in question either. The clause in the divorce decree forbids ANYONE OF ANY SEXfrom being in the house around the kids after 9 pm. Period.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Can people honestly say the judge would have passed the same ruling if the mother was living with a boyfriend?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are asuming that the lesbian couple want to get married. That's not the question at hand and is not addressed in the morality clause in question either. The clause in the divorce decree forbids ANYONE OF ANY SEXfrom being in the house around the kids after 9 pm. Period.
I'm not making that assumption.

I'm simply stating they don't have that option under the law (as a straight couple likewise partnered for 3 years and living together would) - hence they are not afforded the same access to the legal protections of the law.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Actually, it has a lot to do with her being gay and marriage equality.
No it doesn't in the least bit, this story like many others is being twisted and used to promote an agenda but in reality it's a legal case about a divorce agreement between 2 people.

I fully support gay rights including gay marriage and adoption but I also support a parent's right to have a say in their kids lives even when they're living with the other parent.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
What they can do, and is done in a few cases, would be for one of them to legally "adopt" the other which would then create a legal blood relationship and nullify the judges order. The disadvantage of that is it will also cut off the ability of the adoptee to legally inherit anything from her parent which could be a big disadvantage if her parents hold lots of assets or money. It would enable both partners to inherit from each other should one of them die. It is something I have read that some gay couples are doing to get around laws on estate rights and hospital visitations and such.
But that would involve the father giving up parental rights.
This case sounds like it was an ugly, messy divorce.
And it could have been the husband bringing this up to get revenge.
And she may not be able to move either if it's in her divorce decree.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Can people honestly say the judge would have passed the same ruling if the mother was living with a boyfriend?
Why not ? What if this is the ex-husband's doing ?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I fully support gay rights including gay marriage and adoption but I also support a parent's right to have a say in their kids lives even when they're living with the other parent.
That's great, but in this case the father of the children is not involved per the Dallas news reports, so the only one involving himself in this woman's bedroom is the judge.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not ? What if this is the ex-husband's doing ?
Doesn't sound like it from the local news stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies