Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

There is no question that IQ is genetically linked, and people of different ethnic backgrounds tend to have different average IQ levels. This explains why Asians, for example, have a higher average IQ than Blacks. The IQ test just measures a person's ability to learn new things, and does not necessarily predict how successful the person will be or predict whether the person will win a Nobel Prize (as studies have shown). Motivation and drive are also factors in success. I know a lot of people with an IQ much higher than mine who simply did not use it for much of anything. I agree that illegal immigration will decrease the average IQ of the country below its current value, but not because "Hispanics" have a lower IQ, but because the people who come this country illegally tend to be at the bottom of their country's economic class level. Those people tend to lack skills and higher education, which are often associated with higher IQ levels. Because IQ is linked to genetics, their children will also tend to have lower IQs, though that is not necessarily the case in every instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Do you think if you repeat this enough it will make a difference? Borjas political views? So economists are now political in their theories? Borjas has studied impacts on wages he does not hold views of heavily restricting all immigration.: :
Paul Krugman is one of the most biased left wingers in America and supposedly one of the foremost intellectuals on the planet when it comes to economics.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The three leading Mexican candy makers recently signed an agreement to get lead out of their candy.
That should help. It's funny how the liberals are outraged over this and other research like it -- because it doesn't fit their stereotypes of hispanic illegals being the highest IQ group of all, they want this research shut down.

This is hardly new information, lead levels in Mexico are incredibly high, especially among the poor -- if liberals and La Raza racists weren't hypocrits, they'd want to find the causes and get them solved. It should not come as any surprise that malnutrition, prenatal drug abuse, high lead levels and other factors lower the potential of individuals.

It's idiotic that anyone would jump to the conclusion that DNA or race can be the only factor.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is no question that IQ is genetically linked, and people of different ethnic backgrounds tend to have different average IQ levels. This explains why Asians, for example, have a higher average IQ than Blacks. The IQ test just measures a person's ability to learn new things, and does not necessarily predict how successful the person will be or predict whether the person will win a Nobel Prize (as studies have shown). Motivation and drive are also factors in success. I know a lot of people with an IQ much higher than mine who simply did not use it for much of anything. I agree that illegal immigration will decrease the average IQ of the country below its current value, but not because "Hispanics" have a lower IQ, but because the people who come this country illegally tend to be at the bottom of their country's economic class level. Those people tend to lack skills and higher education, which are often associated with higher IQ levels. Because IQ is linked to genetics, their children will also tend to have lower IQs, though that is not necessarily the case in every instance.
I agree that steadiness, focus, and strength of character often trump IQ. From my experience, 5 more hours of hard work a week can probably eclipse 15 IQ points in most fields. Few things are more common than wasted talent.

The difficulty, of course, is that statistically the smartest groups (for example Asians) often also work the hardest and have the best impulse control. Hispanics often work very hard. The issue is that they don't seem to persist long enough in education, with very high drop out rates and low college completion rates. Like good old boys, they tend to avoid higher education and so stay in the lower skilled classes.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Paul Krugman is one of the most biased left wingers in America and supposedly one of the foremost intellectuals on the planet when it comes to economics.
Even he (Krugman) cites Borjas in his studies and agrees with him about low wages and those effected. They believe in different theories, Krugman a Keynesian, while Borjas uses a Constant Elasticity of Substitution method.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
It is not possible to reify something like intelligence into a single number. IQ cannot be used this way, and it was not invented to do anything of the sort.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
people hate facts

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
bleeding heart liberals hate facts
Fixed.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Ridiculous. There is no evidence that two language environments lead to low test scores.
Two language environments hurt scores for tests in English, especially IQ tests.

Cripes, you could just google it, unless you prefer I give you about 1000 links.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'll let you slide on all your other mess, but prove this one...

Show any reputable American study that shows a link between Genetics and IQ...and moreover that corrobroates your contention that IQ is also racially distinguisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies